Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter storage for caravans

• 19-07-2020 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

hi. Just wondering what most caravan owners do for winter storage? Is it a total no no to keep outdoors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

Gemancy wrote: »
    hi. Just wondering what most caravan owners do for winter storage? Is it a total no no to keep outdoors?

Not at all, they just don't like to be left unattended and unused. If you can, run a small heater on a timer and/or a dehumidifier. If you got in to check it over once a month, air it out etc it should be fine. Good to move it a small bit too so the tyres aren't sitting for months on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tio07

I bought mine last October and it had just gone into storage, so left it there as already paid by previous owner. I collected end of Feb to have it ready to go for start of season. This year I’ll be keeping out at home as I’ve got the space. all the advice I’ve seen is air it out every so often and run some heat regular enough and should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gemancy

Thanks guys, that's great. We're in quite an exposed area so wasn't sure what's best. Would prefer not to have to pay for storage, we have space outside so we'll go with that! Cheers 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Was thinking of putting up a lean to on to side of house for the caravan but was talking to a few people who said there was no need for it. One lad put his in a farm shed and rats got in to it and ruined it. I think keep using it through the winter keep heat on for an hour in the evening, I use it as a quite space away from the kids.

kerryjack wrote: »
    Was thinking of putting up a lean to on to side of house for the caravan but was talking to a few people who said there was no need for it. One lad put his in a farm shed and rats got in to it and ruined it. I think keep using it through the winter keep heat on for an hour in the evening, I use it as a quite space away from the kids.

Yikes, my worst nightmare :eek: my husband was actually talking about a lean to the other day as well, I just worry about the elements degrading the exterior...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Having a roof over it is one of the best things you can do.
    Hit and miss panelling on the sides is actually preferable as it allows airflow and aids drying.
    Heavy rain on the top of a caravan or motorhome is hard on sealant as is UV exposure.
    If you get a dehumidifier get a Dessicant type rather than a refrigerant type, when temps drop the refrigerant type don't function that well.
    I have a Meaco DD8L and being a dessicant type actually emits heat which is in itself a handy thing.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Having a roof over it is one of the best things you can do.
    Hit and miss panelling on the sides is actually preferable as it allows airflow and aids drying.
    Heavy rain on the top of a caravan or motorhome is hard on sealant as is UV exposure.
    If you get a dehumidifier get a Dessicant type rather than a refrigerant type, when temps drop the refrigerant type don't function that well.
    I have a Meaco DD8L and being a dessicant type actually emits heat which is in itself a handy thing.

Great! Thanks for that info, much appreciated :)

Advertisement