Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Missed Opportunities....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,762 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Galway hurlers alright, where to begin :(

at least ye eventually won an All Ireland

Us in Waterford still waiting on a championship win, one we didnt get since the All Ireland semi final in 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭lillielad

Kildare 2009, 2010 and 2011

2009 we scored 18 points from play in a Leinster final and lost by 2 points against the Dubs, could have beaten Tyrone as well in the Quarter final.

2010 Lost to Louth but got to the semi final against Down and were a crossbar/finger tips away from the all Ireland, what might have been if we didn't lose Earley in the quarter final against Meath, lost Daryl Flynn in the semi final as well.

2011 Brogan Free, and Donegal square ball.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Donegal in 2014. After beating Dublin in the semi final I really felt we would go on to win the final. We just didn't play well on the day but I think 2 All Irelands would have been better reward for that bunch of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

In the 21 seasons from 1980 to 2000 Offaly won the hurling All Ireland or got knocked out by the team that did in 18 of them. Makes you think they could have picked up another 1 or 2 All Ireland's to add to the 4 they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Donegal in 2014. After beating Dublin in the semi final I really felt we would go on to win the final. We just didn't play well on the day but I think 2 All Irelands would have been better reward for that bunch of players.

Possibly but i’m sure Mayo see 2012 as a huge missed opportunity also. If it wasn’t for their naive defensive tactics on the day maybe they would have won it.

The great Armagh team of the late nineties/early noughties only won one All Ireland and that by a single point, all Irelands are hard won.

Sure if Martin McHughs 45 in Breffni Park in 92 had gone wide there’s no doubt that Cavan would have won the All Ireland that year!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

There ought to be a special place in hell for a certain Leitrim referee after that game!!! Pure robbery!

While Galway were indeed fortunate that day, in fairness to Ros' I strongly doubt that they were good enough to progress much further. Simply didn't have the class that Galway subsequently showed in Croker.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In the 21 seasons from 1980 to 2000 Offaly won the hurling All Ireland or got knocked out by the team that did in 18 of them. Makes you think they could have picked up another 1 or 2 All Ireland's to add to the 4 they got.

By my reckoning they were knocked out by non-champions in 6 seasons in that time frame

86 knocked out by Kilkenny, Cork champions.
    87 knocked out by Kilkenny, Galway champions.
    89 knocked out by Antrim, Tipp champions.
    90 knocked out by Galway, Cork champions
    91 knocked out by Dublin, Tipp champions
    97 knocked out by Wexford, Clare champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Clareman wrote: »
    By my reckoning they were knocked out by non-champions in 6 seasons in that time frame

86 knocked out by Kilkenny, Cork champions.
    87 knocked out by Kilkenny, Galway champions.
    89 knocked out by Antrim, Tipp champions.
    90 knocked out by Galway, Cork champions
    91 knocked out by Dublin, Tipp champions
    97 knocked out by Wexford, Clare champions

You missed one, in 98 they were beaten by Clare in the semi final, who didn't end up champions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭doc_17

I was gonna set up a free taking “project”
    and charge a fortune but someone beat me to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You missed one, in 98 they were beaten by Clare in the semi final, who didn't end up champions

Don't mention the war :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

doc_17 wrote: »

Ha, he'll get his market for it. Daddy moneybags will send the son aged 8-14 to Deano Rock and fair play to Deano.

Same son is overweight and nowhere near the team, will prob have no interest in football in another few years.

But sure didn't my lad do a session with Dean rock?? unreal stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

doc_17 wrote: »

So you won't be signing up then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,123 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Ha, he'll get his market for it. Daddy moneybags will send the son aged 8-14 to Deano Rock and fair play to Deano.

Same son is overweight and nowhere near the team, will prob have no interest in football in another few years.

Nearly 1k for 5 sessions.

The global pandemic and subsequent job recession obviously doesn't register with Dean Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Fermanagh 2004.

I doubt they would have beaten Kerry in the final, but they wouldn't have lain down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Nearly 1k for 5 sessions.

The global pandemic and subsequent job recession obviously doesn't register with Dean Rock

You'd need a few lessons in blindside punching from daddy thrown in to part with that kind of coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

CBear1993 wrote: »

Fools and their money etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

ShyMets wrote: »
    Down in 2010 had a great chance of winning and All Ireland. If I remember only lost by a point to Cork. And then they seemed to disappear of the scene completely.

Robbed Kildare with a Square Ball in 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

MfMan wrote: »
    While Galway were indeed fortunate that day, in fairness to Ros' I strongly doubt that they were good enough to progress much further. Simply didn't have the class that Galway subsequently showed in Croker.

If Roscommon had won that, we were in a semi-final with Derry and if they won, final with Kildare. 2 good teams, but that '98 Roscommon team would have been more than a match for either.

We'll never have a better chance to win an All-Ireland in the current format.

Another missed opportunity would have been 2010 for Sligo to win a second Connacht in 4 years. Beat Galway and Mayo and then turned up to collect the cup only to be basically jumped by a Roscommon team who had been relegated to Division 4 that year. If memory serves me correctly, Sligo were murdered by Down in the qualifiers a week later and that was the end of that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Robbed Kildare with a Square Ball in 2010
    To be fair, if I remember correctly, Kildare's goal that day should also have been disallowed due to a ridiculous number of steps taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

If Roscommon had won that, we were in a semi-final with Derry and if they won, final with Kildare. 2 good teams, but that '98 Roscommon team would have been more than a match for either.

For that year, and the couple either side 96-00, Kildare beat Dub x2, Meath, Kerry (AI Champs), brought 97 champs Meath to 2 replays and won 2 provincials. Roscommon's best result in that period was a replay win over Sligo. I don't think there's anything to suggest Ros would've been more than a match for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Could add Wexford in semi final last year. On form Cats are in for final, Wexford would have won that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

You're right, Marge. Just like the time I could've met Mr. T at the mall. The entire day I kept saying, "I'll go a little later. I'll go a little later." And then when I got there, they told me he just left. And when I asked a mall guy if he would ever come back again... he said he didn't know. Well, I'm never gonna let something like that happen again! I'm going into space right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

We'll never have a better chance to win an All-Ireland in the current format.

Another missed opportunity would have been 2010 for Sligo to win a second Connacht in 4 years. Beat Galway and Mayo and then turned up to collect the cup only to be basically jumped by a Roscommon team who had been relegated to Division 4 that year. If memory serves me correctly, Sligo were murdered by Down in the qualifiers a week later and that was the end of that.

I felt Roscommon had a better chance a few years earlier than that; as far as I recall from the sunny Hill that day, they had the upper hand on a tiring Meath team for much of the 1991 semi-final, but succumbed late in the game. Paul Earley, a player light years behind his exalted brother IMHO, was responsible for a number of misses that day. It was a good Down team in the final, but still. (Have Ros/Down ever met in the championship?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

2015 for Galway in the hurling was criminal.

3 points up at half time if I remember right, hurling Kilkenny off the park, and yet ended up needing a late JC goal to finish within 4. Just didn't come out for the second half, to paraphrase Roy Keane, just afraid of taking that next step. Same thing 3 years earlier in 2012, 5 up at HT, needed a monster JC free to bring it to a replay.

Great that the team finally won one, but I think they left at least 1 if not 2 behind them in the 2010s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭megadodge

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    For that year, and the couple either side 96-00, Kildare beat Dub x2, Meath, Kerry (AI Champs), brought 97 champs Meath to 2 replays and won 2 provincials. Roscommon's best result in that period was a replay win over Sligo. I don't think there's anything to suggest Ros would've been more than a match for them

That's exactly the type of thinking that had so many thinking Kildare were a shoo-in against Galway.

As much as I don't like to say it though, I don't think Roscommon would have won it out. The 1991 side were a far better outfit and left the semi-final against Meath behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It's still a bit too raw to talk about, but I always wonder about the time Kildares goalkeeper, cuddy chanders, was dropped for the all ireland final, despite having never conceded a goal throughout the championship. The reason given was that he conceded a few in a challenge game in the run up to that, despite the fact that he was playing with a second choice backline in that game. More than likely that politics played a part in the decision. Anyway, Cavan ended up scoring 3 goals in the final to win it and Kildare never really recovered, it set us back years. Still difficult for most Kildare fans to talk about and will always be seen as the one that got away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

megadodge wrote: »
    That's exactly the type of thinking that had so many thinking Kildare were a shoo-in against Galway.

That was clearly silly thinking though as Galway had almost made an All Ireland in 95, had been knocked out by finalists in 96/97 and had a bunch of u21s coming though in 98 with pedigree coming out their ears.

Roscommon had never shown anything really to be placed at the highest level before or after. 91 was slightly before my time so can't comment on that

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

cson wrote: »
    2015 for Galway in the hurling was criminal.

3 points up at half time if I remember right, hurling Kilkenny off the park, and yet ended up needing a late JC goal to finish within 4. Just didn't come out for the second half, to paraphrase Roy Keane, just afraid of taking that next step. Same thing 3 years earlier in 2012, 5 up at HT, needed a monster JC free to bring it to a replay.

Great that the team finally won one, but I think they left at least 1 if not 2 behind them in the 2010s.

If Owens had to do his job right he should have sending off the Galway man for the foul in2015 on Colin Fennelly, 2012 it was pure passion in the second half Galway were lucky they got a free with a blatened dive in the end.

Advertisement