Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flight Simulator build

• 16-07-2020 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My brother is interested in building a system that will play X-plane and MS Flight Simulator with ease. We could also use some general advice on what a good screen setup would be.

What do people think who play flight simulators? One kick ass wide screen? Or 2 x 32 inch? or 3 x 27" or 24"?

Would touchscreen be a good idea to switch on certain controls on the screen?
    My brother plans on buying a steering wheel and potentially other stuff.

1. What is your budget? [€1000 - 2000 see notes]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [ Flight Sims, general gaming]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [ Nope ]

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes see note]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [See note]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [N/A]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [N/A]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Any]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 30-60 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [ No building assistance required]

I thought myself something like a AMD 5600 + 3 touch screen full HD screens but maybe the middle screen can be bigger? 16GB 1TB SSD to store all the sceneries. Ryzen 5 3600

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd say an ultrawide of some sort would probably be best, or maybe even a VR headset.

However the important thing is: if he's buying in 1-2 months, hold on for now.
    Next-gen GPUs are supposedly coming in September & we'll know more once the rumour machines start spinning in earnest.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

I posted some info on screen setup in another forum for racing sims. Should apply to flight sims as well.

Also, there is a helpful YouTube video on this question for flight sims that might help. The flight sim bit starts around the 8min mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Wcool

Thanks KO Kiki, good point on the GPU, we will need a pretty big pixel slinger and maybe we can get the current generation cheaper. Do you think AMD will also release new models? (I am not a big fan of NVidia)?

Thanks for the links Cerberus, very helpful. I found the Virtual Flying forum as well here on Boards but they seem to talk more about software.

It seems the sky is limit (pun intended :) ). You can build a rig that's 10000s of euros it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Interested in doing this myself. MS Flight Sim will probably push me back into PC gaming, although I've been watching the development of DCS on VR for a while now. And it's VR that's really caught my eye. I'm a small, tiny bit out of the loop though e.g. my last gaming PC was a Pentium 4 and the last PC I put together was a 486DX33, when I was 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Wcool wrote: »
    Thanks KO Kiki, good point on the GPU, we will need a pretty big pixel slinger and maybe we can get the current generation cheaper. Do you think AMD will also release new models? (I am not a big fan of NVidia)?

Thanks for the links Cerberus, very helpful. I found the Virtual Flying forum as well here on Boards but they seem to talk more about software.

It seems the sky is limit (pun intended :) ). You can build a rig that's 10000s of euros it seems!

Big Navi (AMD) GPU's are coming in Nov or so the rumours go, it is meant to be decent or so the rumours go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Seems you want the best Graphics money can buy for this, so I would wait for Big Navi and the 3080 Nvidia Series and see what's the best of the bunch, and what prices are like!
    CPU: Ryzen 7 Pro 2700X / Intel i7-9800X
    GPU: Radeon VII / Nvidia RTX 2080
    VRAM: 8GB
    RAM: 32GB
    HDD: 150GB (SSD recommended)
    Bandwidth: 50 Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Inquitus wrote: »
    Big Navi (AMD) GPU's are coming in Nov or so the rumours go, it is meant to be decent or so the rumours go!

AMD recently said it will be Q3. Expected September along with Nvidias new cards as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Release might be September but I'd say it might be November before cards are actually on shelves for their msrp. Kinda like the 3300x

Advertisement