Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-07-2020, 23:46   #16
ronivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadablam View Post
Thanks. Tried it and maybe the wire is too light but nothing happened.

Its the end from the motherboard I unplugged but nothing happened.

Do you think the fans would spin on the aio if it's the psu?

Really appreciate your help
Just checking but I presume the main switch on the back of the PSU is switched to the on position?

What motherboard do you have? Have you checked if it has a power switch?

Have you disconnected all the cables which run from the PSU?
Advertisement
17-07-2020, 00:14   #17
amadablam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronivek View Post
Just checking but I presume the main switch on the back of the PSU is switched to the on position?

What motherboard do you have? Have you checked if it has a power switch?

Have you disconnected all the cables which run from the PSU?
Yep the switch is on

The mother board is an MSI X470 gaming plus max and new.

I disconnected the cables and reseated them but shoutl I have done that before the paperclip test as in just that cable in the PSU?

Its an RMX850 Corsair

Thanks very much
17-07-2020, 00:22   #18
ronivek

Quote:
Yep the switch is on

The mother board is an MSI X470 gaming plus max and new.

I disconnected the cables and reseated them but shoutl I have done that before the paperclip test as in just that cable in the PSU?

Its an RMX850 Corsair

Thanks very much
Try the PSU test with the PSU totally disconnected from everything else apart from the mains power if you can.

I would also suggest plugging out the mains power completely for a few minutes before trying the test.
Thanks from:
17-07-2020, 00:33   #19
amadablam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronivek View Post
Try the PSU test with the PSU totally disconnected from everything else apart from the mains power if you can.

I would also suggest plugging out the mains power completely for a few minutes before trying the test.
Thanks very much.

No luck. I will try and get a heavier guage wire in the morning if I can and try it again.

Head wrecking the fans are spinning with the cmos switch
17-07-2020, 02:29   #20
ronivek

Quote:
Thanks very much.

No luck. I will try and get a heavier guage wire in the morning if I can and try it again.

Another thing I would do is remove the PSU from the case completely. It's highly unlikely to make any difference but if you're going to be sending it back anyway; no harm in being sure.

Also try with a single case fan connected to the Power Supply and see if that makes any difference; but make sure there's nothing else connected to the PSU other than mains power. Some PSUs may not always spin the PSU fan; but it should spin the connected fan if there's power.
Advertisement
17-07-2020, 10:45   #21
UrbanFret

Quote:
Thanks very much for your help.

I think I did it correctly but nothing happened. I didn't have a paper clip so used some wire

Would the fans be getting power if the psu was not working?

The clear cmos button causes the aio fans to spin every time I press it :?
As ronivek has said that's upside down mate. Follow his pictures and you should get the fan to spin if the PSU is working.

Last edited by UrbanFret; 17-07-2020 at 14:22.
Thanks from:
17-07-2020, 10:49   #22
Inviere

Quote:
Thanks very much.

Some PSU's have an 'eco' switch/setting which disables the fan until there's a certain load/temp....so while the psu is on, it could look like its off if this switch is on
Thanks from:
17-07-2020, 11:36   #23
amadablam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inviere View Post
Some PSU's have an 'eco' switch/setting which disables the fan until there's a certain load/temp....so while the psu is on, it could look like its off if this switch is on

Thanks very much for your help.

I did it again this mornign and nothing happened but I thin Inviere might be right and I think the fan has a zero fan mode or soemthing.

Getting nothing from it but the PSU does seem to be sending something to the AIO fans.

Sickened if I have to strip it down and send off the parts.

It was working so well for the brief time I had it set up yesterday
17-07-2020, 12:48   #24
JoyPad

I'm sorry to hear about your problem, and I hope you get it sorted quickly and painlessly under warranty.

But I cannot help but wonder if what happened was a manufacturing problem, or something that went wrong during the build, and how will they determine what the cause is, and if they will honour the warranty.

Just to play the devil's advocate: if the PSU damage was caused by a short-circuit of the motherboard/CPU/GPU/whatever, what happens with the replacement when you hook it up and turn it on?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-07-2020, 14:27   #25
amadablam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyPad View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your problem, and I hope you get it sorted quickly and painlessly under warranty.

But I cannot help but wonder if what happened was a manufacturing problem, or something that went wrong during the build, and how will they determine what the cause is, and if they will honour the warranty.

Just to play the devil's advocate: if the PSU damage was caused by a short-circuit of the motherboard/CPU/GPU/whatever, what happens with the replacement when you hook it up and turn it on?

Thanks Joypad,

I will definitely let you know how I get on.

Ive checked every single connection and wore anti static band, grounded myself, etc. Its just a bit of an anti climax and hopefully wont cost the earth to get it going.

MSI were very helpful and have asked the retailer to contact me and help me and they also contacted them on my behalf as well.

Retailer have sent an RMA so that's a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyPad View Post
I guess I can only take one step at a time and hope that it fixes the issue and if I need to replace something else, then, unfortunately I will have to.

Fingers crossed that it will be sorted fairly painlessly.

Last edited by amadablam; 17-07-2020 at 15:38.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion