Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help badly needed: New PC wont power up after I powered it down.

• 16-07-2020 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

You might remember that I built a new build a few weeks ago but was waiting to set it up.

Had tested the PC and it was working fine, I just didnt set it up as needed a desk.

Finally got a new desk and set it all up today and set it up and put on the drivers for the GPU and new monitor and peripherals, etc .

Everything was working fine and I played around with it and all was well.

Pwered it down and went for a walk but when I came back, it wont power up again,

Ive detached all the cables from the PSU and put them back in as well as removing the RAM and reinstalling and checking all connections.

No lights on the mothervboard at all and no beeps or noises of any sort

The only thing I can get is the Corsair AIO fans occassionally spin for a second or so but not the case fans. Ive no idea what to do.

From checking online, Im thinking a short? I cant really contact a component manufacturer as I dont know what component.

I dont have spares to try either. :(

All components are new.

If the AIO fans are spinning for a second intemittently, Im guess its not the PSU.

Ive no idea what to do and its wrecking my head.

Ive even went as far as changing the fuse in the plug and also testing it in different sockets. Same result.

So weird as it was working amazingly well until I powered it down and when i came home I decided I wanted to try a game but nothing happening at all :(

UPDATE When I press the cmos/button on the board the AIO fans spin for each press

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have you tried turning it off and turning it .....

oh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I'ds start with the motherboard standoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Had something similar a while back, but with an old system I run24/7. Tried holding down the power button for several seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Thanks guys, tried all the abouve but no luck.

When I press the CMOS buttton on the MOBO the AIO fans spin for each press but nothing else.

Head is wrecked as everything was fine a few hours ago and all component were showing up in the bios and system details so it was recognising everything.

Beginning to panic is a dead CPU or mobo or something.

Can you short pins 4 + 5 on the top row of the 24 pin connector with a paper clip?This will Confirm your power supply is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When you shut down did you switch it off at the wall?

ED E wrote: »
    When you shut down did you switch it off at the wall?

Yes, I did that as soon as I shut it down fully. Is that a bad thing? :(

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Can you short pins 4 + 5 on the top row of the 24 pin connector with a paper clip?This will Confirm your power supply is good.

I am not sure I have a paperclip but I can try it tomorrow.

What should happen and do you count 4 and 5 in the row to the right from the top down? SOrry for the stupid questions

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭com1

Can you get your hands on another psu? The one you are using may be fubarred

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

amadablam wrote: »
    Yes, I did that as soon as I shut it down fully. Is that a bad thing? :(

Not necessarily. Its the kinda thing that I associate with my parents generation but its not bad.

That said, I had a mystery fault before that would go something like this:
    1. Shut down
    2. Reboot fine
    3. Repeat as required
    vs
    1. Shut down
    2. Remove AC
    3. Reconnect AC
    4. Power on....DEAD.

But, after about 15-24 hrs of AC being present the board would come back to life. IIRC the PSU was changed but it still showed the issue indicating it was the mobo. Much older unit but just in the off chance you've something similar leave it powered overnight and try again tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I am not sure I have a paperclip but I can try it tomorrow.

What should happen and do you count 4 and 5 in the row to the right from the top down? SOrry for the stupid questions

Place the connector with the lock clip facing up and short the 4th and 5th pins with the paper clip counting from left to right in the upper row.

This will cause the PSU fan to spin if all is well.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Place the connector with the lock clip facing up and short the 4th and 5th pins with the paper clip counting from left to right in the upper row.

This will cause the PSU fan to spin if all is well.

Thanks very much for your help.

I think I did it correctly but nothing happened. I didn't have a paper clip so used some wire

Would the fans be getting power if the psu was not working?

The clear cmos button causes the aio fans to spin every time I press it :?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I think I did it correctly but nothing happened. I didn't have a paper clip so used some wire

Wrong pins:
    PSU_Paper_Clip_Test_5.png

ronivek wrote: »
    Wrong pins:
    PSU_Paper_Clip_Test_5.png

Thanks. Tried it and maybe the wire is too light but nothing happened.

Its the end from the motherboard I unplugged but nothing happened.

Do you think the fans would spin on the aio if it's the psu?

Wonder should I just return it to amazon as Its only a few months old but only used for a few minutes

Really appreciate your help

Thanks. Tried it and maybe the wire is too light but nothing happened.

Its the end from the motherboard I unplugged but nothing happened.

Do you think the fans would spin on the aio if it's the psu?

Really appreciate your help

Just checking but I presume the main switch on the back of the PSU is switched to the on position?

What motherboard do you have? Have you checked if it has a power switch?

Have you disconnected all the cables which run from the PSU?

Just checking but I presume the main switch on the back of the PSU is switched to the on position?

What motherboard do you have? Have you checked if it has a power switch?

Have you disconnected all the cables which run from the PSU?

Yep the switch is on

The mother board is an MSI X470 gaming plus max and new.

I disconnected the cables and reseated them but shoutl I have done that before the paperclip test as in just that cable in the PSU?

Its an RMX850 Corsair

Thanks very much

Yep the switch is on

The mother board is an MSI X470 gaming plus max and new.

I disconnected the cables and reseated them but shoutl I have done that before the paperclip test as in just that cable in the PSU?

Its an RMX850 Corsair

Thanks very much
    Try the PSU test with the PSU totally disconnected from everything else apart from the mains power if you can.

I would also suggest plugging out the mains power completely for a few minutes before trying the test.

Try the PSU test with the PSU totally disconnected from everything else apart from the mains power if you can.

I would also suggest plugging out the mains power completely for a few minutes before trying the test.

Thanks very much.

No luck. I will try and get a heavier guage wire in the morning if I can and try it again.

Head wrecking the fans are spinning with the cmos switch

Thanks very much.

No luck. I will try and get a heavier guage wire in the morning if I can and try it again.

Another thing I would do is remove the PSU from the case completely. It's highly unlikely to make any difference but if you're going to be sending it back anyway; no harm in being sure.

Also try with a single case fan connected to the Power Supply and see if that makes any difference; but make sure there's nothing else connected to the PSU other than mains power. Some PSUs may not always spin the PSU fan; but it should spin the connected fan if there's power.

8q8MMvw.jpg

As ronivek has said that's upside down mate. Follow his pictures and you should get the fan to spin if the PSU is working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Thanks very much.

Some PSU's have an 'eco' switch/setting which disables the fan until there's a certain load/temp....so while the psu is on, it could look like its off if this switch is on

Inviere wrote: »
    Some PSU's have an 'eco' switch/setting which disables the fan until there's a certain load/temp....so while the psu is on, it could look like its off if this switch is on

I did it again this mornign and nothing happened but I thin Inviere might be right and I think the fan has a zero fan mode or soemthing.

Getting nothing from it but the PSU does seem to be sending something to the AIO fans.

Sickened if I have to strip it down and send off the parts.

It was working so well for the brief time I had it set up yesterday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I'm sorry to hear about your problem, and I hope you get it sorted quickly and painlessly under warranty.

But I cannot help but wonder if what happened was a manufacturing problem, or something that went wrong during the build, and how will they determine what the cause is, and if they will honour the warranty.

Just to play the devil's advocate: if the PSU damage was caused by a short-circuit of the motherboard/CPU/GPU/whatever, what happens with the replacement when you hook it up and turn it on?

JoyPad wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear about your problem, and I hope you get it sorted quickly and painlessly under warranty.

But I cannot help but wonder if what happened was a manufacturing problem, or something that went wrong during the build, and how will they determine what the cause is, and if they will honour the warranty.

Just to play the devil's advocate: if the PSU damage was caused by a short-circuit of the motherboard/CPU/GPU/whatever, what happens with the replacement when you hook it up and turn it on?

Thanks Joypad,

I will definitely let you know how I get on.

Ive checked every single connection and wore anti static band, grounded myself, etc. Its just a bit of an anti climax and hopefully wont cost the earth to get it going.

MSI were very helpful and have asked the retailer to contact me and help me and they also contacted them on my behalf as well.

Retailer have sent an RMA so that's a start.

JoyPad wrote: »

I guess I can only take one step at a time and hope that it fixes the issue and if I need to replace something else, then, unfortunately I will have to.

Fingers crossed that it will be sorted fairly painlessly. :o

Advertisement