Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-07-2020, 09:44   #16
CouthyDown

LGFA and camogie association at top level are so high and mighty and talk about inclusion yet at ground level 97% of clubs work on a 1 club model. I am involved in admin at club level and it drives me mad that at county level camogie and lgfa cannot speak to GAA in regards to pitches for championship matches. Last year we had minor football, senior camogie and u14lgfa sceuled for the same night with only 2 pitches. Everything is put to the clubs to sort at ground level.
As for county competitions, there are two many cups, shields, plated, tin cups or whatever played for.
Congrats you won an all ireland, who did you beat Dublin c team!!!!!!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-07-2020, 10:08   #17
mountgomery burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspurs View Post
So, how do us "weaker counties" improve ?

Camogie , as is hurling for boys , is the dominant sport for girls in Kilkenny.
Small parishes have a limited pool of players to use.
There is only 4 adult Ladies GF clubs in Kilkenny, and 9 juvenile clubs !

Our LGF club is only 10 years old, and are trying to create a base for the future.
Having 5-6 games a season isn't enough to progress and improve. A player might have 12 competitive matches in their age group before they move on.
That's 36 competitive games before they turn to Minor, and now Minor has been removed !
How does that make sense?
To improve you need games. To improve you need to experience other environments/players/coaches. That's why the county Development squads are important.

On the camogie side, our Intermediates are flying, as are our Senior team, we have 4-5 players on the Kilkenny senior team.
So now the minors have to play with the Intermediates, thereby reducing playing time again, as there could be up to 40 players now on the Intermediate panel, this will impact on player development, and hinder progress.

I do not believe in the 'medals for everyone' way things are going/have gone, but It doesn't make sense.
If there are 9 juvenile clubs would they not all play together in one league? And have a separate knockout competition, that would be 9 games guaranteed.

Given many will be playing across age groups that could be at least 20 games. I think that is part of the problem, there's too much of a crossover. I don't think Inter-County competitions foster development across a County. It sounds a bit like putting the cart before the horse.

Not saying it's not disappointing for some girls to miss the chance to play Minor inter county of course. But I'll be honest, I think the jury is still very much so out on whether we'll have inter-county within the GAA either this year.
01-07-2020, 10:30   #18
greenspurs

It comes down to the fact that its ladies/girls.
Its the same with soccer, they are an afterthought.
Wont ever change.

20x20 my ar$e ..
01-07-2020, 11:18   #19
greenspurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouthyDown View Post
LGFA and camogie association at top level are so high and mighty and talk about inclusion yet at ground level 97% of clubs work on a 1 club model. I am involved in admin at club level and it drives me mad that at county level camogie and lgfa cannot speak to GAA in regards to pitches for championship matches. Last year we had minor football, senior camogie and u14lgfa sceuled for the same night with only 2 pitches. Everything is put to the clubs to sort at ground level.
As for county competitions, there are two many cups, shields, plated, tin cups or whatever played for.
Congrats you won an all ireland, who did you beat Dublin c team!!!!!!
Cam Ass - (camogie association)
Yes, it seems that way, all talk, but little hands on help at club level.

The Gaa/Lgfa/CA , 3 different associations is annoying, but in fairness the GAA are very good with regards to allowing the other 2 use their facilities.

They really need to get more womens games on before Senior mens games though, it would help showcase the womens games to wider audiences that otherwise wouldn't watch them playing.
01-07-2020, 18:02   #20
The Lost Sheep

Quote:
Disgraceful decision by the LGFA and Leinster GF council, And the Camogie association.
No All Ireland series for Minor/U16/U14/U12
A few provincial series , none in Leinster.

Makes a pure mockery of the "20x"20" and "If she cant see, she cant be it" ..
How is that decision supposed to keep girls interested? Its hard enough to get girls onto pitches , and now they decide this !! Pure fcuking stupidity.....
All the work that is being done by a few clubs in Kilkenny to keep GF going, and they get this decision from the legislators !
no all Ireland for one year isnt a problem. If not having these development games for one year means a lot of kids dont continue playing the sport then there is a lot more issues going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneeyedman View Post
Far from a disgraceful decision IMHO.
Having being involved with Ladies football for many years, including being chair of our club and a regular attendee at County board meetings, there is too much county football anyway. The likes of the U14, It's a never ending story, ay round Robin, province, lose. That drop into B competition, lose that drip into C competition, ad infinitum, and all the while the girls are being pulled and dragged and kept away from their club teammates, who are waiting for the county 'stars' to finish and come back to them.
Too much emphasis on so called elite, at ages it 11 or 12,madness :these girls should have strong structures at club level and go to county at U18 or the very earliest U16.

Many of these competitions are driven by parents and misguided officials more than by players. In many cases, just so that can say we got to an All Ireland semifinal, (albeit a C semifinal versus a 'hurling county'

This petition is BS of the highest order
I would agree about far too much of a focus on so called "elite" development
Too much waiting for players on county squads happens in gaa. There needs to be more games played without players in county set ups at club level

Quote:
Im using Co. Kilkenny as my example -
"too much county football" ?- I would look at it the other way, theres not enough Club football being run to keep girls playing.
And isn't being picked for a county team what drives most people on? Isnt that the carrot that should be dangled in front of all players?
The U14 play 5-6 club games , a league format , that then runs into a Championship/Shield final. Maybe 8 games max.
With Kilkenny u14 gf team this year, they were playing a blitz style format in Kildare , with 2 more rounds to be played later (before Covid arrived).
That is hardly "too much county football".

"all the while the girls are being pulled and dragged and kept away from their club teammates, who are waiting for the county 'stars' to finish and come back to them" -
That's Bs. In Kilkenny, if the county teams are playing, theres no club games on, due to the amount of girls on each club team!
We have 9 U14 players this year (6 u14 + 3 U13 with the balance being pulled out of u12 to field teams!)

Granted , all the competitions, could be trimmed back a bit, with less Shield trophies etc, but there is not an excessive amount of games played up to U16s.
is being picked for inter county really what drives many playing sport?
As most know realistically they'll never be near an intercounty set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beggars_bush View Post
Focussing on elite level games for 14 year olds when most girls aged 14 don't exercise enough is farcical

Same for 17/18 year olds
Focus should be on games for all
you have a point but both can be managed. Play u14 club blitzes etc more often and have best players from across clubs play games on those days if possible...
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-07-2020, 08:03   #21
beggars_bush

Quote:
Focussing on elite level?
Who ? Me ? or the LGFA ? Camogie Association?
Well its hardly them , seeing the binned them..
ME - I think they are beneficial to the girls that do get picked for county teams -meeting new people, experience, respect etc. How can it be a bad thing?

Do you think the same for boys ?
Yes, I do actually
No need for county competitions until 17.

County boards need to provide more games for underage clubs and players.
It's why huge numbers drop out

This focus on the tiny number of players picked for county panels is ridiculous
When they'd be better off with their club or playing another sport alongside gaa
Thanks from:
03-07-2020, 08:18   #22
greenspurs

im only speaking about whats happening here in Kilkenny.

Gaelic Football is an after thought for boys and girls, hurling is king.
Under age is where they develop as a player. 36 games as an juvenile player before they play minor is not enough really.
You can do all the training session you want, but you learn more in games, getting hit for real, scoring for real, winning, losing.

I don't understand why other posters dislike the idea of county development squads so much? The blitzes and finals that Kilkenny are involved in don't impede any club games.
The players learn while they are training 'with the county' , meet other players, make new friends, develop skills, learn new drills etc.
(drills are for spuds ?? )

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion