Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a Superyacht?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,695 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve met a good few captains, chefs, barmen/girls, general hands in the irishbars down the south of France. The common thing I’ve been told seems to be... hard work but really good wages.

A good boss will even on your night off, throw you a couple of hundred quid as you hit the town. These are mostly bonafide millionaires or not far off so keeping the troops happy by putting your hand in your pocket for a grand so the folks can go have a bit of fun and shake off cabin fever is the done thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

If you picked up the 49.5 million or made it big as a YouTuber(tm) or you sold your cloud-based startup to Jeff Bezos for a few 100m, would you be tempted?

It's in vogue these days to pretend you're bothered about the fact that they burn a fair drop o'daysul but after you park your Tesla Model whatever at the airport and hop on a plane nobody really has a clue where you're gone and if you're cruising around the med or some other place in a superyacht they won't know.

Just from looking at Marinetraffic I get the impression a lot of superyacht owners just go around in circles on in med and hang around the usual party haunts and posh spots. Was watching a documentary a while back about some English dood who already had a yacht that was quite super and he was commissioning a brand new one for about 50 mil because he felt he was growing out of the old one. This kind of craic wouldn't really interest me but I wouldn't mind a smaller boat with plenty of range for visiting places in the absolute backarse of nowhere.

Tis crazy the amount of money you can spend on these yokes if you want. An entire euromillions jackpot just for one boat if you want plus all the running costs

“If it flies, floats or fornicates, always rent it. It's cheaper in the long run.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can pick up a second hand oil rig supply vessels for a million or two

Handles the roughest seas , has a crane and big flat deck at the back. Plonk down a marquee or caravan or helicopter or even an OT-64 SKOT 8×8 Amphibious Armoured Personnel Carrier for when you want to take a trip to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Just from looking at Marinetraffic I get the impression a lot of superyacht owners just go around in circles on in med and hang around the usual party haunts and posh spots.
    The boats might circle around but the owners normally direct the yacht to be at a certain place on a certain day then they fly down to meet it where it is moored. It is fairly rare for the owner to sail on the yacht particularly on long voyages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Btw as per op, if you only won 49 mil or got a couple of hundred mil you couldn’t afford a super yacht.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Candie wrote: »
    I'd have a private jet over a private yacht.

I think I'd be wary of even being a guest on a super yacht because of the implication.

Uh ok, you had me going for the first part but the second part kinda threw me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Uh ok, you had me going for the first part but the second part kinda threw me?

Always sunny in Philadelphia reference

https://youtu.be/-yUafzOXHPE

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

When someone registers one in an Irish port I will respect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Gruffalox wrote: »
    I was in a place a few years ago where loads of fancy yachts berth and as I walked along checking them out I was "meh", "blech", "nah", "uh uh", absolutely zero to covet in the big uncomfortable plastic lumps.

I'd say the lads on the boats were devestated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

no but i would buy a private jet

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Same, you could fly somewhere in 3 hours, or be stuck at sea for 23 hours, to get to the same place.

Strumms wrote: »
    Same, you could fly somewhere in 3 hours, or be stuck at sea for 23 hours, to get to the same place.

Do you guys not like airports or something? I think for a lot of people, the airport is an exciting place. Even when flying somewhere dull for work, like Liverpool, I find the whole process of flying enjoyable. Even if only to spot the planes, especially if you fly out if Dublin before lunchtime.

That's why I don't get the appeal of a private jet. You still have to go through passport controls, the only substantive difference is you don't have to queue, and have slightly more comfort on board (these benefits are hardly worth millions of euro).

Give me a yacht bobbing on the azure blue waters off Malta or Antibes, or Lough Derg, any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Give me a yacht bobbing on the azure blue waters off Malta or Antibes, or Lough Derg, any day.

A 65ft Dutch barge on Lough Derg would be living the dream for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Id probably get a little yacht. Enough room for a few trays of beer, a fridge, a hob a big bed a shower and a place to keep the fishing rods.

How much will that set me back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    A 65ft Dutch barge on Lough Derg would be living the dream for me!
    Remember it's one meal a day. Dry toast and black tea/coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Ohhh super ya-ah ~

for sure! Absolutely.

Do you guys not like airports or something? I think for a lot of people, the airport is an exciting place. Even when flying somewhere dull for work, like Liverpool, I find the whole process of flying enjoyable. Even if only to spot the planes, especially if you fly out if Dublin before lunchtime.

That's why I don't get the appeal of a private jet. You still have to go through passport controls, the only substantive difference is you don't have to queue, and have slightly more comfort on board (these benefits are hardly worth millions of euro).

I’d rather jump into a GV in Dublin airport, 2 hours 15 I’m in Nice and then sail around the Cote D’Azur into Villefranche...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jets? Psssh.

Supermarine_359_Spitfire_HF8C_Point_Cook_Vabre.jpg

Though if I were going for a jet...

maxresdefault.jpg

Way cheaper than a super yacht and way faster. OK not exactly a lot of room for pneumatic dolly birds in bikinis from central casting, but that's why you make sure you're mates with someone with a yacht. Job done. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I’d rather jump into a GV in Dublin airport, 2 hours 15 I’m in Nice and then sail around the Cote D’Azur into Villefranche...

For sure, but if you had to choose between a private flight or the yacht, would you really choose the former?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It would be a sailing ship for me crewed by Swedish and South American women who had the morals of alley cats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jets? Psssh.

Though if I were going for a jet...

Way cheaper than a super yacht and way faster. OK not exactly a lot of room for pneumatic dolly birds in bikinis from central casting, but that's why you make sure you're mates with someone with a yacht. Job done. :D
    Get one of these instead. Plenty of room for bikini clad dolly birds.
    9915b5b7d8bf5c0ec000534efd23f0b7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Your sure right I would. I would go for the most stylish, coolest yaught I could find.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

For sure, but if you had to choose between a private flight or the yacht, would you really choose the former?

I dunno, it’s a tough choice, but nice one to have to make. Hopefully early next year it might be Qashqai vs Hyundai Tuscon.. bout as close as I’m getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

I dunno, it’s a tough choice, but nice one to have to make. Hopefully early next year it might be Qashqai vs Hyundai Tuscon.. bout as close as I’m getting.

Qashqai handles like a superyacht.

Qashqai handles like a superyacht.

I’ve had two and really liked them. Never a flicker of an issue, I’d have zero complaints... I’m probably sticking with them. My folks have a Tuscon but it’s the executive model which is out of my reach. Beautiful car and seriously seriously comfy but I’m thinking Qashqai for me again.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Jets? Psssh.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Supermarine_359_Spitfire_HF8C_Point_Cook_Vabre.jpg

/QUOTE]A Spitfire will barely make it to France.

pZUy6uY.jpg

Get you a P-38 if you want range and dolly bird transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I would get something like this, best of both worlds, although I would get a turbine version and not a radial engine.

latest?cb=20120531225441

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Get one of these instead. Plenty of room for bikini clad dolly birds.
    9915b5b7d8bf5c0ec000534efd23f0b7.jpg

Flew across the North Sea in one of those many years ago, the bikini clad dolly birds would freeze to death and be deaf by the time you got to your destination.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I would certainly consider it but a private jet would be more of a priority. Imagine not having to deal with the peasantry of commercial travel, airport queues, security, booking in advance etc.
    That's what the platinum terminal is for sure

Advertisement