Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 - Free text to ANY network ANYtime

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭slegs

Tis a fairly substantial difference alright on the face of things. That is until you factor in the other call charges that are included in the O2 tariff that you must change too. Tis obviously perfect if you are a text but it would prob hit someone with an average usage profille for quite a few quid.

Either way, it's good to see that likes of Meteor being responsible for O2 and Vodafone having to come out and compete like they are. Will be interesting to see what Meteor do next.

Dont think anybody is arguing that there is no downside to the new O2 plan (i.e. high call charges outside the promotion) but for high texters with low voice call volumes (which this priceplan is aimed at) it is far and away the best in the market

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

I also rang Meteor asking if they had any plans to launch someone similar to O2's offer and the girl that i was speaking to informed me that because Meteor are not a large international company with huge financial backing like O2, they would not be able to compete with an offer like this at present.

Sad really :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

As Solitaryman666 said, according to the O2 website you can only sign up to 'Unlimited free texts' or 'My 10 favourite O2 numbers' until 30/04/08.
    This means there will only be ONE O2 Speakeasy prepay price plan, O2 Experience, with no major add ons open to new sign ups after this date.
    Surely this is madness from O2!

steve 0 wrote: »
    As Solitaryman666 said, according to the O2 website you can only sign up to 'Unlimited free texts' or 'My 10 favourite O2 numbers' until 30/04/08.
    This means there will only be ONE O2 Speakeasy prepay price plan, O2 Experience, with no major add ons open to new sign ups after this date.

No it just means this particular promotion will end on this date (if not extended). Most likely there will be a new promotion or amendments to this promotion after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

you can still get the old earlybird and niteowl price plans, and the 20c flatrate one

krudler wrote: »
    you can still get the old earlybird and niteowl price plans, and the 20c flatrate one
    No you can't, they're old price plans now, see here.
    If you're on an old plan you can stay on it but you can no longer sign up to them. Only plans available to sign up or move onto are Experience with the option of 1 of the 2 add-ons, see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

No you can't, they're old price plans now, see here.
    If you're on an old plan you can stay on it but you can no longer sign up to them. Only plans available to sign up or move onto are Experience with the option of 1 of the 2 add-ons, see here.

Actually that's shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭seanabc

It's not that shocking. The free text thing is a good offer. It's good for heavy texters and it sounds good to everyone else too. They're bound to be getting lots of sign ups from this promotion and the fact that there's only one tariff to sign up on with two options is nice and simple. The deadline is to create urgency. When this offer runs out they'll have some other hook to catch people on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

FREE UNLIMITED Texts, Calls, And Picture Messages Tesco to Tesco 24 hours a day when you buy an In Touch Bundle for E11.99 from your credit it lasts 30 days each time!

Great now I can contact less then 1% of the country for free!!!

Actually not even for free for €12 per month. That's AMAZING value. Funny they way they advertise it - it's like saying get the new Dell computer for FREE when you buy a dell mouse and keyboard for €799.

I guess I'll just delete all the numbers in my phonebook and start a new one with all my new tesco friends who have to take a new 089 number because Tesco can't port your number because they're a SUPERMARKET.

Get a grip on reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Shilly shill shill

wow unlimited web browsing with a limit of 20 mb. it really should be illegal to advertise something as unlimited when it has a limit, especially one as low as 20mb.

and i don't know anyone on tesco mobile so free calls to no one don't really appeal to me. i could be wrong here but that sounds an awful lot like a sales pitch. do you work for tesco?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So far, this is his first post about Tesco. He was talking about o2 not to long ago. Unless he markets for both o2 and Tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

Unless he markets for both o2 and Tesco?

Same company. Tesco is a VPN with O2.

squidgey wrote: »
    FREE UNLIMITED Texts, Calls, And Picture Messages Tesco to Tesco 24 hours a day when you buy an In Touch Bundle for E11.99 from your credit it lasts 30 days each time!

Great now I can contact less then 1% of the country for free!!!

Actually not even for free for €12 per month. That's AMAZING value. Funny they way they advertise it - it's like saying get the new Dell computer for FREE when you buy a dell mouse and keyboard for €799.

I guess I'll just delete all the numbers in my phonebook and start a new one with all my new tesco friends who have to take a new 089 number because Tesco can't port your number because they're a SUPERMARKET.

Get a grip on reality.

Tesco can port any number just fine. The form is in the pack when you purchase, you send it back, they call you and organise a time to port.

They have an offer to give some extra credit if you hold onto the 089 number purely as a marketing gimmick. You dont have to take it up.

Also, you dont have to purchase the bundle for the onnet calls if you dont want to and you will still get the lowest flat rate all the time all network call rates on the market.

I all for a bit of operator bashing but lets get some of the facts straight.

Bump!
    For anyone that is interested in this but hasn't switched yet (especially those enjoying Vodafone to Vodafone free calls & texts all day every day until 01/06) the sign up period is now extended.
    It was 30/04, its now Thursday 31/07/08

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

:D Nice one.. I am just waiting for 3 to ring me back with my unlock code and I am so there!!

Hate 3's service :mad: or lack of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 tayto2009

what number do u text free to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Awesome savings made by me since I changed to the txt bundle.

Last few months I've been going thru ~2 txts a month and with the €20 a month required I've had lots of credit for calls and pre-pay web browsing/google maps directions.

I was going thru so many txts that when I rang o2 to talk about perhaps changing to billpay I was told "no, it would cost you more"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rory Farrell

i find 02 have come along way , they aren't the cheapest as we all know , but i find theyre offers such as the 02 daily treats , very good! and in my opinion a reason to stick with the network , plus i wanted an iphone!
    theyre internet charges are way to expensive i find myself looking for free wifi so i can check emails and download apps and games , a bit annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I haven't really been paying attention to Irish price plans, but can't believe that they get away with some of this!
    o2 in the UK had an offer just before Christmas - unlimited texts and internet if you top up by £15 a month.
    I've swapped over to a pay monthly, sim only one now - £20 for 700 minutes, 700 texts and a blackberry data plan (the last bit can be changed to unlimited internet/texts instead)

Rip off Ireland is still alive and kicking I see:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

If any of you need any prepaid sim cards for porting to O2 PM with your number and I can send some out for you. I have a good few here in stock right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

tman wrote: »
    I haven't really been paying attention to Irish price plans, but can't believe that they get away with some of this!
    o2 in the UK had an offer just before Christmas - unlimited texts and internet if you top up by £15 a month.
    I've swapped over to a pay monthly, sim only one now - £20 for 700 minutes, 700 texts and a blackberry data plan (the last bit can be changed to unlimited internet/texts instead)

Rip off Ireland is still alive and kicking I see:(

yep in the uk i beleive they've now switched over to free unlimited texts to all contract users, i've checked o2.ie and i can't find owt there, so can only assume they havent brought it in for us.

but o2 rang me mate the other day, who is coming near the end of his contract, and tried to get him to stay with them by offering him free unlimted texts to any network, i'm so temted to just ring em up and ask them is that available to us, and if so, can i go on it now rather then wait till my contract is up, i'd even be tempted to tell them that i simply can't afford it, and that i'm at the brink of just cancelling my contract with them, cause basically, can't belive they;ve continued to rip us off here when offeriing uk users much better terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

It has nothing to do with rip off Ireland, they are totally different markets governed by different regulators, the companies paid different amounts for their licences, receive different interconnect rates but one of the major differences is the size of the market after all Ireland has 4 million people versus 61 million in the UK therefore there is more money to be made in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It has nothing to do with rip off Ireland, they are totally different markets governed by different regulators, the companies paid different amounts for their licences, receive different interconnect rates but one of the major differences is the size of the market after all Ireland has 4 million people versus 61 million in the UK therefore there is more money to be made in the UK

This type of thing is always the defence of price gouging. The companies paid different amounts for the licences, i.e. more in the UK, not sure how that justifies things. Different interconnect rates largely net out between providers. As for the size of the country, this means that in the UK your minutes can be used to call 10 times as many phones as here, I am not sure how that justifies tariffs giving you more minutes. Plenty of smaller countries have reasonable costs for mobile telephony. As for the regulator is the defence that the government does not force companies to provide comparable value?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭hickory

As for the size of the country, this means that in the UK your minutes can be used to call 10 times as many phones as here, I am not sure how that justifies tariffs giving you more minutes.[/QUOTE]

Maybe because if you have 10% of the market you have 6 million people in the UK versus 400k in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Eh is it just me but don't vodafone have this offer but without the extra 10 euro for calls aswell...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Maybe because if you have 10% of the market you have 6 million people in the UK versus 400k in Ireland.

So why are mobiles better value in the likes of Finland or Singapore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

either way. 02 are ripping us off, they offer this deal to pre pay customers, what the hell is different from them to someoen who pays a contract each month, i;m giving them X amount of money each month, so why can't they throw in unlimited texts to me, when they can offer it to ssomeone who puts 20 euro in,

Advertisement