Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oldies but Goodies

• 11-05-2003 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

I was inspired to this by the Greatest Military Commander of All Time thread - so I am asking the question, who do you think was the greatest ancient of all time and why?

Who was the greatest Ancient? 7 votes

Pericles
    0% 0 votes
    Cicero
    28% 2 votes
    Caesar
    0% 0 votes
    Sophocles
    28% 2 votes
    A Persian Monarch (specify)
    0% 0 votes
    Hannibal
    0% 0 votes
    Scipio
    0% 0 votes
    Alexander
    0% 0 votes
    Philip II of Macedon
    42% 3 votes
    Other
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Plato was fairly slick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Plato annoys my head lol - if he had bothered to record the Egyptian hieroglyphics correctly then we wouldn't have such bother with some of his works - *cough* Atlantis.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

From the list, I choose Pericles, for his role in defending Athenian democracy from external/internal foes.

Another choice, would be Augustus, for ending the Roman Civil wars and founding an empire, that at least held some measure of stability for it's subjects.

Plato would also have been an option, given his contribution to Western Though of the concept of this world being but a shadow of the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Another choice, would be Augustus, for ending the Roman Civil wars and founding an empire, that at least held some measure of stability for it's subjects
    Augustus acted like a spoiled brat when the empire was divided amongst the second triumvirate. Mind you, he did bring stability, though he was underhand about creating the empire - I think he should have restored the republic as his father wanted - or did his father want to restore the republic? Remember what Caesar said of Sulla anyone?

Advertisement