Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LeVar-ovision aka. SURLAW aka. Reverse Walrus; a Eurovision Style Contest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I’m listening to Metric for the last couple of hours. I’ve never heard them before but I’m really liking their stuff.

They're great. Discovered them about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Yeah I said earlier on that there's not a single song on it that I actively dislike. Plenty are 'meh' but no stinkers. Good picking ASLevar!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

They're great. Discovered them about 10 years ago.

nearly the same length for me, maybe a bit less. I discovered them with the Synthetica album.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    nearly the same length for me, maybe a bit less. I discovered them with the Synthetica album.

Yeah, I was a bit before that. I think Fantasies had only recently come out.

Just sent in my submission there. Excellent playlist.

• Advertisement

I was reminded this morning that the first of the Eurovision Semi-Finals was supposed to be on tonight. Which means there's no better time to get listening if you haven't done so already.

Thanks to everyone who has already gotten their lists in to me. Not going to give anything away, but its very exciting from my point of view seeing how each new set of points affects things, which will hopefully translate to an exciting reveal also.

For now, the deadline is still Thursday May 21st with the intention of having the reveal that weekend. That timeline could still change, but just wanted to give people a general idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Squeezed in four earlier (free Spotify so on shuffle ;) )

One was an act I vaguely knew, have seen and loved at a festival, and was really looking forward to hearing more from, then I didn't like at all :(

Another was new to me and I really liked :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Answers submitted :)

I had a number 1 from the very start which just didn't move but after that it got interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Just sending mine in now.

I listened to everything three times and one song shot right up the list on the third listen after not evening making the cut first time around.

A very listenable to playlist - only one song that I would actively skip past

Only knew 5 bands by name on the list but didn't know their songs (well I knew the Genesis cover of Land of Confusion)

Great idea for a game though and a nice change from a Walrus where only one person listens at the outset

lassykk wrote: »
    I listened to everything three times and one song shot right up the list on the third listen after not evening making the cut first time around.

I had one of those. In the bottom half till I listened to it a few times. And it just kept getting better and better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Going to start my harsh critique of these now :D I know 7 of the artists but only one of the songs by title.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So I PM my top 10 favourites?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So I PM my top 10 favourites?

Yep. In order of preference please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

That was fun, I'd only heard one of them before, and even then I didn't recognise the artist or title; it was only when it started playing I went 'oh, this is that song'

I'll be honest, there were some I wasn't a fan of at all. I didn't skip them, just to be thorough, but I couldn't wait for them to be over

Others, however, I really liked, and I'll definitely be listening to again, three of them in parictular

Sorting them wasn't too difficult for me tbh, I didn't move on to the next song until I'd decided the ranking of the previous one, and by the time I was finished I was happy with the final order

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Were we supposed to only listen once or twice? I've had a few listens and only starting to narrow it down now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ectoplasm wrote:
    Were we supposed to only listen once or twice? I've had a few listens and only starting to narrow it down now.

Depends on how serious you're taking it as a contest I guess :pac:

You can listen to them as many times as you need to.

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Necro wrote: »
    You can listen to them as many times as you need to.

Yep, what they said. As often as you like. There's no max on how many times you listen.

Sure I've been listening to most of them for years, and am including my own ranking for the results (and I had my Top 10 all decided and set in stone before the comp started and I had seen how anyone else ranked anything, just for fairness sake)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Super super seriously. It's LeVar- ovision after all

:p

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Super super seriously. It's LeVar- ovision after all

:p

You're Damn Right!

:D

• Advertisement

machineheart's album is on today's playlist for me. (I've already submitted my choices)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Cool, I'll give this a try

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

This is a cool idea.

I've had a ruthless first listen and culled 7!

The highlights of my notes so far are
    • good start... opens up well... builds momentum... ooh, brass... like it...
    • kind of Madness meets Symposium, good for a bop
    • bit poppy but I kinda like it, riff is ripped off though...
    • ooh, rocky, like their early stuff
    • good cadence once it gets going
    • nice guitar, good voice, good swearing!
    • obviously it's great

So in other words... EN is running a Walrus soon and this is good practice ;)

I've had a ruthless first listen and culled 7!

The highlights of my notes so far are
    • good start... opens up well... builds momentum... ooh, brass... like it...
    • kind of Madness meets Symposium, good for a bop
    • bit poppy but I kinda like it, riff is ripped off though...
    • ooh, rocky, like their early stuff
    • good cadence once it gets going
    • nice guitar, good voice, good swearing!
    • obviously it's great

"good swearing" is my favourite bit of your notes... :D

So in other words... EN is running a Walrus soon and this is good practice ;)

I will be heading back to work eventually, once I have a commute to fill I'll definitely do one :)

"good swearing" is my favourite bit of your notes... :D

Swearing can be a delicate art, when it lands well it's a great touch ;)

Forgot to post this the other day... :D

Surlaw Eht Ma I - Seltaeb Eht

• Advertisement

Have 13 sets of results submitted, with a good few others confirmed to be working on their own ratings. Open for at least another week anyway, so plenty of time left.

There's already been interest from others about running their own Surlaw, so Necro has set up a sign up table over in the Walrus Sign-Ups thread for anyone who's interested

Advertisement