Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good books on Irish History?

Options
  • 13-12-2010 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi,

Not having read much about history since school, I would love to start learning about old Irish History again. I was infactuated with Irish History (High Kings, Flight of The Earls etc) in school but then the course eventually changed to English History (Henry VIII and his wives and the years they married) and I lost interest in it.

Can anyone recommend a book on Irish History? I'd love to get something to read over Christmas - especially about old Irish History, Pre 1900.

Many Thanks,

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Pre-1900 is an audaciously broad timeline... But anyway.

Thomas Bartlett's most recent book would probably serve your narrative needs. Though I haven't gotten round to it yet myself, I hear its very good. Bartlett is an accomplished historian of the late 18th and early 19th centuries, should be up your street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

Cheers, I'll start with that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

A New History of Ireland (of which there are about 9 or 11 volumes) is also a good starting point. They're out in soft back at the moment and each volume deals with a set period of Irish history (ex 1691-1800). They're quite large and have lots of good information, but may be too detailed for what you want.

There's also a series of books out on sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth century Ireland by Colm Lennon, Ray Gillespie and Ian McBride. Not too long or overly detailed, but provides a lot of good info. I think there's also a few earlier books in the series on medieval Irish history, too.

I haven't read Bartlett's book, but Marianne Elliot gave it a good review, though she did mention that the lack of footnotes/references was a bit of a drawback for the academic market.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

mprop wrote: »
    Hi,

Not having read much about history since school, I would love to start learning about old Irish History again. I was infactuated with Irish History (High Kings, Flight of The Earls etc) in school but then the course eventually changed to English History (Henry VIII and his wives and the years they married) and I lost interest in it.

Can anyone recommend a book on Irish History? I'd love to get something to read over Christmas - especially about old Irish History, Pre 1900.

Many Thanks,

A New History Of Ireland is absolutely essential, that's for sure.

Advertisement