Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭premierlass

Explaining Irish Democracy by Bill Kissane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dragon_wannabee

That book looks good, thanks a million premierlass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Peep O'Day

can anyone recommend a good book on the irish citizen army? it's an organisation that i am particularly fascinated about and would love to learn a lot more on them. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

Anybody with an interest in the war of independence around kilkenny ,this book is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 IrishPublisher

'Revolution: A Photographic History of Revolutionary Ireland 1913-1923', it covers the Lockout, 1916, The War of Independence, The Truce, The Civil War and the Aftermath. It contains over 100 images, some never before seen. Its by a young historian from Ennis.

It has been nominated for an Irish Book Award 2011. I have put a sample up in issuu here so you can take a look. http://issuu.com/MercierPress/docs/revolutionsample/1

Hopefully I have attached a sample image too. Its of the attack on the Four Courts, late June 1922.

MODERATOR EDIT:
    I am leaving the book name here as some people may be interested in it. Note advertising is not allowed. Refer to charter and boards.ie guidelines for further info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

'Independent Ireland' is an excellent book which charts the move from Free State to Republic. It's written by a former lecturer of mine- Ronan Fanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Everything You Were Taught About The Civil War Is Wrong
    by Lochlainn Seabrook

Abraham Lincoln - The Southern View
    by Lochlainn Seabrook

Lincoln Unmasked: What You're Not Supposed to Know About Dishonest Abe
    Thomas DiLorenzo

The Real Lincoln, by Loyola College economics prof Thomas J. DiLorenzo.

The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History
    by Thomas E. Woods Jr.

33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask
    by Thomas E. Woods Jr.

A Century of War by John V. Denson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I read _Rise and fall of the third reich_ - excellent, and during reading this I realised I don't know much about WWI ... so any good recommendations
    on the history of WWI and the lead up to it ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

"The Vampire Economy, by Guenter Reimann (1939) is a rare and wonderful thing: a detailed account of how the Nazis crushed the private sector and hamstrung the economy with vast regulations, violations of property rights, inflation, price controls, and taxes. "
    The author emigrated from Germany and worked on Wall Street after the war. One very odd thing: Reimann was a member of the Communist Party.

THE business organization of private enterprise has had to be reorganized in accordance with the new state of things. Departments which previously were the heart of a firm have become of minor importance. Other departments which either did not exist or which had only auxiliary functions have become dominant and have usurped the real functions of management.

Formerly the purchasing agent and the salesmanager were among the most important members of a business organization. Today the emphasis has shifted and a curious new business aide, a sort of combination “gobetween” and public relations counsel, is now all-important.

His job—not the least interesting outgrowth of the Nazi economic system—is to maintain good personal relations with officials in the Economic Ministry, where he is an almost daily caller; he studies all the new regulations and decrees, knows how to interpret them in relation to his particular firm and is able to guess at what may be permitted or forbidden. In other words, it is his business to know how far one can go without being caught. He also develops special knowledge on how to camouflage private interests so that they appear to be “interests of the community” or of the State."

http://mises.org/books/vampireeconomy.pdf

vampireeconomy.jpg

vampireeconomy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Belfast wrote: »
    "The Vampire Economy, by Guenter Reimann (1939) is a rare and wonderful thing: a detailed account of how the Nazis crushed the private sector and hamstrung the economy with vast regulations, violations of property rights, inflation, price controls, and taxes. "
    The author emigrated from Germany and worked on Wall Street after the war. One very odd thing: Reimann was a member of the Communist Party
    While I haven't read this work itself, I find it very hard to see how a book written by a German emigre financier in 1939 can be considered a balanced account of the subject. Particularly when subsequent works - and Tooze's Wages of Destruction is currently the definitive study on the Nazi economy - have shown how German industrialists sponsored and prospered from both Nazi domestic policies (ie, the abolition of the Weimar 'welfare state', etc) and foreign adventures

Really, if you have any interest in the subject then Tooze is a must-read

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Lor1963

If you're interested in the Final Solution you should try Ordinary Men by Christopher Browning.It's really insightful with regard to the Reserve Police Battalions that took part in the massacres.It's certainly not for the faint of heart though....horrific,but brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

http://www.difp.ie/publication-reviews/

This ebook download (in link) contains private correspondences in relation to the anglo-Irish treaty negotiations. It is a free download. I think you may need kindle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

got two books today! They seem really interesting ill let ye know if they are! :)

Witnesses: Inside the Easter Rising - Annie Ryan

gives eye witness accounts from the easter rising from the people who took part and the civilians who witnessed everything

Hitlers Irishmen - Terence O'Reilly

Gives the account of the few Irishmen who were involved in the nazi side in World War 2, some of whom were used as spies for German side!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Various Open US University (Stanford etc) courses are available free online, of which a couple are history themed.
    https://www.coursera.org/courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I realise this is quite the left-field question, does anyone know any decent books on East Timor during the Indonesian occupation?

Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

could somebody recommend a book that would cover the Middle East conflict in its entirety?

also, could somebody recommend a book that would cover the Israeli - Palestine conflict in its entirety?

Im not looking for something too in depth - more of a synopsis for somebody with a non existent/basic knowledge of the regions and conflicts in question

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

WilcoOut wrote: »
    could somebody recommend a book that would cover the Middle East conflict in its entirety?

also, could somebody recommend a book that would cover the Israeli - Palestine conflict in its entirety?

Im not looking for something too in depth - more of a synopsis for somebody with a non existent/basic knowledge of the regions and conflicts in question

Cheers!

The Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk is a very worthwhile read.

The Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk is a very worthwhile read.

little bit heavy for what im looking for!

anything else a little lighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Someone recommended How the Irish Saved Civilization to me, but I'm not sure how much weight their opinion should hold. Anyone read it?

http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Saved-Civilization-Hinges-History/dp/0385418493

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

The famine plot by Tim pat coogan. Terrific.

Although it will haunt you.

• Advertisement

GRMA wrote: »
    The famine plot by Tim pat coogan. Terrific.

Although it will haunt you.

its on the christmas list

im glad u found it good, cant wait to get my paws on it

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

The Black and Tans
    British Police and Auxiliaries in the Irish War of Independence, 1920-1921
    by
    D. M. Leeson

The Transformation of Ireland 1900-2000 by Dr. Diarmuid Ferriter.

Ireland's Misfortune the turbulent life of Kitty O'Shea by Dr. Elisabeth Kehoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

... The Transformation of Ireland 1900-2000 by Dr. Diarmuid Ferriter...

How was that book in regards to its chapters? I mean what is the main topic he´s concentrating by each decade. I´m considering to evtl. buy that book some time, but still I don´t know whether it is not just merely a repeating of most events also to find in T.P. Coogans book about Ireland in the 20th Century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

It's more an overview. A comparison with Hobsbawm's long century trilogy isn't entirely fitting (as few can match Hobsbawm's ease with the pen) but Ferriter takes a similar approach - skimming events and focusing primarily on the social undercurrents. So while some events naturally dominate their eras (the Rising, Emergency, Troubles, etc) they're rarely centrestage

Reekwind wrote: »
    It's more an overview. A comparison with Hobsbawm's long century trilogy isn't entirely fitting (as few can match Hobsbawm's ease with the pen) but Ferriter takes a similar approach - skimming events and focusing primarily on the social undercurrents. So while some events naturally dominate their eras (the Rising, Emergency, Troubles, etc) they're rarely centrestage

Thanks for that which makes it a bit more interesting to read it. It might tell the story from a different part of view.

Thomas_I wrote: »
    How was that book in regards to its chapters? I mean what is the main topic he´s concentrating by each decade. I´m considering to evtl. buy that book some time, but still I don´t know whether it is not just merely a repeating of most events also to find in T.P. Coogans book about Ireland in the 20th Century.

Chapters 1 - 3 are based on social history of Ireland, including Easter Rising
    to the Irish Civil War.

Chapter's 4 -5 contains the economic war, FF Vs Cumman Na Gael (FG),
    the role of the Catholic Church in Ireland, Noel Browne. The slum's in
    Dublin.

Chapter's 6-7 is education system reform with Patrick Hillary, emigration,
    E. E. C., and the outbreak of the troubles in N. Ireland.

Chapters 7-9: Not much as in the previous chapters usually its Fianna Fail,
    Fr. Brendan Smyth story, Progressive Democrats. The fall of the Roman Catholic church.

I haven't read T. P. Coogan's book nor have I read any of his books although he was recommended reading in my degree along with Ferriter, R. F. Foster, and Conor Cruise O' Brian. I am starting to think women historian author's don't get recommended correct me if I am wrong but we never stopped hearing the names of Foster, Coogan, Ferriter, and Cruise O'Brian.

Chapters 1 - 3 are based on social history of Ireland, including Easter Rising
    to the Irish Civil War.

Chapter's 4 -5 contains the economic war, FF Vs Cumman Na Gael (FG),
    the role of the Catholic Church in Ireland, Noel Browne. The slum's in
    Dublin.

Chapter's 6-7 is education system reform with Patrick Hillary, emigration,
    E. E. C., and the outbreak of the troubles in N. Ireland.

Chapters 7-9: Not much as in the previous chapters usually its Fianna Fail,
    Fr. Brendan Smyth story, Progressive Democrats. The fall of the Roman Catholic church.

I haven't read T. P. Coogan's book nor have I read any of his books although he was recommended reading in my degree along with Ferriter, R. F. Foster, and Conor Cruise O' Brian. I am starting to think women historian author's don't get recommended correct me if I am wrong but we never stopped hearing the names of Foster, Coogan, Ferriter, and Cruise O'Brian.

Thank you very much for your efforts to tell me in short about the chapters. I appreciate that.

I´ve once started to read T. P. Coogan´s book "Ireland in the 20th Century" and up to the 1940s and so I haven´t finished it yet. I´ve just finished his biography about Michael Collins recently. It´s interesting to read his books because he´s going deep into the subject, sometimes a bit to far in examaning it which can sometimes be a bit boring, but the inwoven short remarks from his family background on some events then are refreshing.

Aside of Coogan´s books I´ve a couple of T. Ryle Dwyer and a few other authors. Ferriter is rather new to me and I´ve noticed from other posts that he has an different approach on Irish history in compare to other historians.

As you´ve mentioned it, I also can´t recall any femal historian authors on Irish history. I´ve never payed much attention to that because usually I select the books based on their title, short discription about its contents and the historical period it is about.

Thomas_I wrote: »
    Thank you very much for your efforts to tell me in short about the chapters. I appreciate that.

I´ve once started to read T. P. Coogan´s book "Ireland in the 20th Century" and up to the 1940s and so I haven´t finished it yet. I´ve just finished his biography about Michael Collins recently. It´s interesting to read his books because he´s going deep into the subject, sometimes a bit to far in examaning it which can sometimes be a bit boring, but the inwoven short remarks from his family background on some events then are refreshing.

Aside of Coogan´s books I´ve a couple of T. Ryle Dwyer and a few other authors. Ferriter is rather new to me and I´ve noticed from other posts that he has an different approach on Irish history in compare to other historians.

As you´ve mentioned it, I also can´t recall any female historian authors on Irish history. I´ve never payed much attention to that because usually I select the books based on their title, short discription about its contents and the historical period it is about.

As for female writers it was always male selected authors in our classes but diving into self-research of women's studies Maria Luddy and Dr. Caitriona Clear come up a lot. Your welcome I thought I was waffling a bit.
    I must check out T. Ryle Dwyer. We were told that Ferriter is what is called a 'post-revionist' historian. To be honest I found doing revisionist history quiet daunting but I prefer historian that dig deep and keep things straight forward and chronollogically. I do warn you in Ferriter's book there is a lot to take in per page but its well worth the read when you get to the end of it.

Continueing the list of recommended reading I know its politics but it includes the history of corruption in it.

Political corruption in Ireland: A Crooked Harp? by Elaine A. Byrne. Very interesting book the amount of times that Haughey and Ray Burke pop up in it though... what I didn't like about it is that there were so many words I didn't understand and had to go get the dictionary to understand them and I love heavy reading.

As for female writers it was always male selected authors in our classes but diving into self-research of women's studies Maria Luddy and Dr. Caitriona Clear come up a lot. Your welcome I thought I was waffling a bit.
    I must check out T. Ryle Dwyer. We were told that Ferriter is what is called a 'post-revionist' historian. To be honest I found doing revisionist history quiet daunting but I prefer historian that dig deep and keep things straight forward and chronollogically. I do warn you in Ferriter's book there is a lot to take in per page but its well worth the read when you get to the end of it.

Continueing the list of recommended reading I know its politics but it includes the history of corruption in it.

Political corruption in Ireland: A Crooked Harp? by Elaine A. Byrne. Very interesting book the amount of times that Haughey and Ray Burke pop up in it though... what I didn't like about it is that there were so many words I didn't understand and had to go get the dictionary to understand them and I love heavy reading.

I find it always interesting when these book authors appear on TV documentary because it gives one a different impression of them when they´re interviewed on a subject. I know Ferriter only from such documentaries and the way he´s talking about some historical things sounds a bit complicated to me. I thought that his books are likewise complicated written. That´s something that most academics have in common, I´d say.

I think that some time I´ll have a try on Ferriters book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ECF

I am currently reading John Miitchel's Jail Journal which is a terrific read.

Can anyone recommend any other good reads on the Fenians or the Fenian movement?

Many thanks.

Advertisement