Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Market 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm more thinking that its a bit weird that vendors are happy to have strangers in their house given there's a coronavirus doing the rounds, common sense eh?

Yes I agree, I was thinking of empty houses

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    the drop in rent is already showing on Daft so obliviously there are accommodations available now

There is right now as several hundred ex-AirBnBs have just done a collective bellyflop onto the market.

While that in itself is good news, I wouldn't count on that volume of property hitting the market simultaneously on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

smurgen wrote: »
    The benefits of staying in Ireland are now gone. The gap in wages between Ireland and other countries will lessen. Remember it is hardship for people to leave their own country. Without the big wages here anymore it’ll no long be seen as a worthwhile pay off.

It’s hard to know what the end result of this will be at this stage.

Ireland’s and the rest of the world will take a battering but I get the impression we might come out of this in better shape than many places, but it remains to be seen.

Any predictions at this stage are just speculation really. A lot will depends on how it’s handled in the EU and US as our economic prospects are very much wedded to both.

Hopefully the Americans will start to become more pragmatic and sensible over the days and weeks ahead. I don’t want to delve into American partisan politics, but what’s going on over there to date has been worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭JamesMason

beauf wrote: »
    There will be downturn no doubt.
    The downturn has already begun. The rental bubble will burst. Some people just don't want to accept that.
    When was the last time the Irish Times had a segment on here's what sold in Dx for €xxxk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Yes I agree, I was thinking of empty houses

That will be next year after the second wave.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭IndieRoar111

Anyone who goes through with a purchase now has lost the plot in my opinion (unless they managed to get at least 20% off the asking).

The market is about to shift from a sellers/landlords market to a buyers/renters market at a unprecedented pace. Renters who are trying to go ahead with a purchase due to currently being fleeced paying rent may want to buy their time as rents are already starting to drop and will keep dropping, they can save more for a discounted purchase in 6-12 months.

Just my two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Anyone who goes through with a purchase now has lost the plot in my opinion (unless they managed to get at least 20% off the asking).

The market is about to shift from a sellers/landlords market to a buyers/renters market at a unprecedented pace. Renters who are trying to go ahead with a purchase due to currently being fleeced paying rent may want to buy their time as rents are already starting to drop and will keep dropping, they can save more for a discounted purchase in 6-12 months.

Just my two cents

You seem to be pushing this message to convince yourself as much as anyone else.

Not all areas of the country can be treated the same though. Dublin definitely seems overpriced with the average price of nearly 450k. If I lived up there i'd definitely be holding out for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

JamesMason wrote: »
    The downturn has already begun. The rental bubble will burst. Some people just don't want to accept that.
    When was the last time the Irish Times had a segment on here's what sold in Dx for €xxxk?

Pretty much every week https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/what-sold-for-about-1m-in-dublin-4-howth-ranelagh-and-new-ross-1.4201148?mode=amp

Where will the supply of units magic from? Unicorn tree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Just my two cents

Can I ask where you bought your crystal ball

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I did, unless I actually have the 53K saved when applying they can't alter the exemption for some reason. Maybe its because I'm a single applicant.

Like its absolutely ridiculous. Have a good career, good prospects etc in a company that employs around 35,000 globally.

I'm a 10 minute drive from work in the place where I grew up.

Its just ****ing frustrating. I have the 25K good to go and renting at the same time.

I can understand the 3.5 rule for some jobs but I'm getting absolutely shafted.

There is companies that employ 100,000 globally that have cut numbers. Don't think that because the company is a household name that individuals cant lose their job. Always consider that you are expendable to a business. That's just the nature of business . The rules are their to protect you and the bank.

Willfully looking to get into more debt because you think your employment is infallible is madness

• Advertisement

Can I ask where you bought your crystal ball

I aint go no crystal ball but I have been predicting this recession at this time for over a year. It has to do with historical debts that have to be repaid due to borrowing.

Once we realise this covid thing is over we are going to be faced into a 1930's style depression. I am talking "O Brother, Where art thou?" mixed with "The grapes of wrath".

listermint wrote: »
    There is companies that employ 100,000 globally that have cut numbers. Don't think that because the company is a household name that individuals cant lose their job. Always consider that you are expendable to a business. That's just the nature of business . The rules are their to protect you and the bank.

Willfully looking to get into more debt because you think your employment is infallible is madness

Warren Buffet has predicted that not all Bluechips will survive this recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Maitguel

I have read the news articles about the predictions, but I just don’t know why people will be motivated to sell their house if the property market tanks as a result of Cov19. And I haven’t seen any comment on here as to why people thinking sellers will also lose the plot and start dumping their properties. Unless that happens there will be no sharp drop in property prices and as we see with Air BnB properties owners are choosing to attempt to rent rather than put them on the market.

I get that after the crash there were a lot of forced sales either bank or consensual sales of distressed borrowers and this was the reason why some many properties were sold for next to nothing but I just do t see that happen this time. If that does happen again like before it will not be FTBs benefiting from this but cash buyers scooping up these bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

garhjw wrote: »
    Why? Where will all the additional supply come from? There is a serious shortage of accommodation and a few extra Air BnBs won’t move the dis much. There won’t be mass emigration although immigration will likely slow as MNCs re-evaluate plans short term.

I have seen a few places this week drop thier rents by over 10%.

The rental market is quicker to react to economic shocks than the property market. Money lost on an empty rented house is lost forever. Landlords are price takers. There is no point in them picking an arbitrary rent which they believe thier property should rent for if it means it sitting empty for months.

But people selling houses seem more stubborn to reduce prices. They might think this Corona effect will be temporary etc and be reluctant to take much of what they could have got before Corona. A 20% reduction might be over a years net income to alot so obviously a seller will be slow to accept they have just lost that amount in a space of a few weeks. But eventually if they want to sell they will have to take the market price which will have been effected by Corona

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Maitguel wrote: »
    I have read the news articles about the predictions, but I just don’t know why people will be motivated to sell their house if the property market tanks as a result of Cov19. And I haven’t seen any comment on here as to why people thinking sellers will also lose the plot and start dumping their properties. Unless that happens there will be no sharp drop in property prices and as we see with Air BnB properties owners are choosing to attempt to rent rather than put them on the market.

I get that after the crash there were a lot of forced sales either bank or consensual sales of distressed borrowers and this was the reason why some many properties were sold for next to nothing but I just do t see that happen this time. If that does happen again like before it will not be FTBs benefiting from this but cash buyers scooping up these bargains.
    Exactly. I'm a seller. I took mine off the market. I was in a rush to sell but I've missed the boat on that. I'm not going to sell my house for a huge loss because of this situation. I'd rather stay put.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is Ireland. There will not be lots of forced sales. Getting people out of their PPRs is incredibly difficult, even if they go years without paying a cent off the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I would say they will forbid transactions. That idea is being touted in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ittakestwo wrote: »
    I have seen a few places this week drop thier rents by over 10%.

The rental market is quicker to react to economic shocks than the property market. Money lost on an empty rented house is lost forever. Landlords are price takers. There is no point in them picking an arbitrary rent which they believe thier property should rent for if it means it sitting empty for months.

But people selling houses seem more stubborn to reduce prices. They might think this Corona effect will be temporary etc and be reluctant to take much of what they could have got before Corona. A 20% reduction might be over a years net income to alot so obviously a seller will be slow to accept they have just lost that amount in a space of a few weeks. But eventually if they want to sell they will have to take the market price which will have been effected by Corona

With sellers taking their houses off the market, supply will eventually decline because who would build new houses when their completed cost is higher than the markets perception of 'value'. This is what happened after the GFC. There was very little construction and as more and more people found work as economic conditions slowly improved, they started buying again. Rinse and repeat. Once the stock of distressed mortgage sales are depleted, supply will again be tight and the prices will likely rise again.

Why do you consider property owners 'stubborn' who decline to sell their asset at below cost? or replacement value? Iwon't be putting my property on the market for less than replacement value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

What ye are discussing - that sellers will take their houses off the market - is precisely normally functioning supply and demand. Some of you are fighting the last war in looking at 2008 and thinking the same will happen here. 2008 was a property driven bust, so prices corrected big time - we are still something like 20% off the peak even now.

In a normally functioning market with a recession, supply is still extraordinarily low versus demand. Some of that demand will fall away though we are uncertain if this will be a short or a long term effect. But so too will some supply fall away as households refuse to sell up. The only way prices are coming down is if the demand for household formation collapses below supply of new builds, which it is well documented is far off the current demand. Lots of folks renting who still want a mortgage and to start a family and lots of folks living with their parents saving who are going to want to buy.

Comparing this to 2008 and expecting massive drops I’m just not sure is justified at this point, when this could still be a V shaped downturn based on the support policymakers and central banks are lining up at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Nijmegen wrote: »
    What ye are discussing - that sellers will take their houses off the market - is precisely normally functioning supply and demand. Some of you are fighting the last war in looking at 2008 and thinking the same will happen here. 2008 was a property driven bust, so prices corrected big time - we are still something like 20% off the peak even now.

In a normally functioning market with a recession, supply is still extraordinarily low versus demand. Some of that demand will fall away though we are uncertain if this will be a short or a long term effect. But so too will some supply fall away as households refuse to sell up. The only way prices are coming down is if the demand for household formation collapses below supply of new builds, which it is well documented is far off the current demand. Lots of folks renting who still want a mortgage and to start a family and lots of folks living with their parents saving who are going to want to buy.

Comparing this to 2008 and expecting massive drops I’m just not sure is justified at this point, when this could still be a V shaped downturn based on the support policymakers and central banks are lining up at this time.

It can’t be v shaped because we are at the end of the largest credit bubble in history and the central banks are out of ammo. This is order of magnitudes worse than 2008. But in one way it is a continuation of this credit bubble that burst in 2008 remember where I said the bad debts of 2008 were transferred to government (central bank) balance sheets. So we are going right back there and then some.

We already have data though 3.2 million on the dole queue in the the US..With those numbers last week it’s looking much worse than 1929. The boomers are going to be completely wiped out. But let’s just wait for the horrendous data to bear my thesis out. GDP data will be out in April and should be around -5 as we had 2 decent months. Daft rental report will be interesting too. US GDP Q2 is an absolute wipeout though pick your number it could be -25%...which will dwarf the previous record -10%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I would say they will forbid transactions. That idea is being touted in the UK.

Who will forbid transactions? This is the official government stance in the UK right now.

Where the property being moved into is vacant, then you can continue with this transaction although you should follow the guidance in this document on home removals. Where the property is currently occupied, we encourage all parties to do all they can to amicably agree alternative dates to move, for a time when it is likely that stay-at-home measures against coronavirus (COVID-19) will no longer be in place.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-advice-on-home-moving-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

awec wrote: »
    This is Ireland. There will not be lots of forced sales. Getting people out of their PPRs is incredibly difficult, even if they go years without paying a cent off the mortgage.

That is my point, if we had 18% unemployment this does not mean there will also be massive drops in properties prices, because there is no necessity for owners to sell in order to buy back the mortgage. in a normal market property those who cannot maintain their mortgage would lose their house and that unit comes back into the market increasing supply. We have very strong home owner protection laws and this is only going to be strengthened by this emergency legislation.

I don’t believe we will see massive drops because there is no incentive for owners to sell their properties if the prices tank as there will be no necessity for them to sell. If I own a house that was worth 300k in January and wanted to trade up, why would I sell it in the coming months for 240k (20% reduction)? Until such time as I do, the loss isn’t a reality, hence why owner occupiers aren’t not too concerned about price fluctuation. You will of course have people who need to sell for various reasons such as divorce, probate and these sale may drive prices down, but I don’t believe there will be sufficient volume in these sales to tank the market.

Beside Armageddon what do other people see as the reasons why owners will start to sell their properties at a discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

That is my point, if we had 18% unemployment this does not mean there will also be massive drops in properties prices, because there is no necessity for owners to sell in order to buy back the mortgage. in a normal market property those who cannot maintain their mortgage would lose their house and that unit comes back into the market increasing supply. We have very strong home owner protection laws and this is only going to be strengthened by this emergency legislation.

I don’t believe we will see massive drops because there is no incentive for owners to sell their properties if the prices tank as there will be no necessity for them to sell. If I own a house that was worth 300k in January and wanted to trade up, why would I sell it in the coming months for 240k (20% reduction)? Until such time as I do, the loss isn’t a reality, hence why owner occupiers aren’t not too concerned about price fluctuation. You will of course have people who need to sell for various reasons such as divorce, probate and these sale may drive prices down, but I don’t believe there will be sufficient volume in these sales to tank the market.

Beside Armageddon what do other people see as the reasons why owners will start to sell their properties at a discount?

But will the house you are trading up too not also be reduced by ~20% by this logic? Its not like you are taking a 20% hit if you sell and a trading up.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭cute geoge

imo the big unknown is will all the big U.S. multinational company's stay put in this country .Trump will do his best to force them to return jobs back home .Looking back there was a big slump in house prices after 9/11 ,this was at the beginning of the celtic tiger and was short lived .

TheSheriff wrote: »
    But will the house you are trading up too not also be reduced by ~20% by this logic? Its not like you are taking a 20% hit if you sell and a trading up.......

Only if the seller wants to sell, they might only want to sell if they get their original price, which means I won’t be selling my house either for a discount. Just because Davy said prices will drop by 20% does mean every seller will conform to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

cnocbui wrote: »

Why do you consider property owners 'stubborn' who decline to sell their asset at below cost? or replacement value? Iwon't be putting my property on the market for less than replacement value.

The market will dictate the value of the house. There is a lot of houses where the replacement value is higher than the value of the property.

Look at the value of property in Leitrim. Every house I see for sale is asking is less than €1000sqm, which is below replacement value even if the ground of the house was free. If you own a house in Leitrim and want to sell it, you have to accept that or else you wont sell.

Also in Dublin a lot of new builds are asking €4000 sqm and over which is way above replacement value anyway. There still a lot of room for falls in prices and still be above replacement value.

There was developments been constructed in 2014 when prices were about 20% below February 2020 so I dont see why prices could not fall back that much.

A seller is stubborn if they're not willing to accept what the market will now pay and keep the price unchanged despite the economic shock. We saw how badly the stubborn seller did in the last recession.... had their house on the market for years with reductions constantly behind the curve... what was the point? The more dynamic seller who accepts the situation and is first to undercut the competition will do the best in terms of getting a sale done and moving on.

Only if the seller wants to sell, they might only want to sell if they get their original price, which means I won’t be selling my house either for a discount. Just because Davy said prices will drop by 20% does mean every seller will conform to this.

This contradicts your previous post; what I am saying is if you can only get a 20% reduced price offer on your house compared to a few months back, it means fundamentally the market has shifted. Your house will not be its own microcosm of the property market, this is highly unlikely.

If you can ONLY get an offer 20% under asking its extremely likely the person's house you want to buy will also be devalued by 20%; therefore there is no loss for you. Its never crystallized.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    The market will dictate the value of the house. There is a lot of houses where the replacement value is higher than the value of the property.

Look at the value of property in Leitrim. Every house I see for sale is asking is less than €1000sqm, which is below replacement value even if the ground of the house was free. If you own a house in Leitrim and want to sell it, you have to accept that or else you wont sell.

Also in Dublin a lot of new builds are asking €4000 sqm and over which is way above replacement value anyway. There still a lot of room for falls in prices and still be above replacement value.

There was developments been constructed in 2014 when prices were about 20% below February 2020 so I dont see why prices could not fall back that much.

A seller is stubborn if they're not willing to accept what the market will now pay and keep the price unchanged despite the economic shock. We saw how badly the stubborn seller did in the last recession.... had their house on the market for years with reductions constantly behind the curve... what was the point? The more dynamic seller who accepts the situation and is first to undercut the competition will do the best in terms of getting a sale done and moving on.

This is an excellent post.

If all the houses around you (assuming all are comparable) are now offering 10% discounts, it doesn't mean yours is worth more because you had an EA tell you a few months it was. The house is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

You could wait years to find someone who thinks its worth what you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

EXACTLY. I know what my property is worth. It's probably overvalued at the minute by maybe 10-15%. I'm not gonna sell less than what it's worth. I can hold out longer than a buyer can paying rent. Wishful thinking from people who think they're gonna get absolute bargains. The market is the way it is due to lack of quality supply in good locations and that's not gonna change for decades now in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

I could see a lot of landlords selling their rental properties, due to taking pay cuts in their salaries at work or taking a heavy hit to the businesses they run. Also landlords will be left without rent from tenants for up to six months, with little or no repercussions to said tenants. When these landlords getting out of the game sell, they’ll take what they can get, as they’ll need the money badly. Obviously not all landlords enter this category.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement