Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway – the city of rain and self-aggrandisement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Loughrea does not have a train link.

Apologies. I stand corrected as no station in the town but nearby. The announcers call out for Loughrea on the train.

Attymon is the station for Loughrea on the Dublin-Galway route and it's about 17km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    The Spraoi festival looks great and now you have All Together Now on your doorstep. Good local bands and artists resident there. Great scenery nearby, particularly the Copper Coast and better weather than most of the country. I'd happily live there.

Love Waterford and if u wanted to live there houses and apartments are ten a penny. No work there though

You said you couldn't arrange dates in Galway. You're the first I've heard with that complaint. It's not Helsinki. People chat very freely in social gatherings here.

And to not have experienced something does not preclude one from commenting. To ask someone not to is the road to authoritarianism.

In terms of weather see the previous poster's graphics. Same rainfall as Cork, more than Dublin, less than Donegal. Can be terrible, mostly not.

Traffic - greatly dependent on where you live. No bother at all where I am in Dangan/Newcastle. Mainly traffic to and from Moycullen, Oughterard & Connemara.The major issues are on the Eastern side with traffic coming from Tuam, Mayo, Loughrea, Athenry, Clare, Dublin, etc. Can be terrible but I generally avoid that side. If you know the geography of Galway you'll be aware of the differences in traffic problems per area. It's utterly incomparable to the Dublin early morning gridlock. And I've never taken as long to cross Galway as it took to get from Heuston station to O'Connell St along the Quays at mid-day. Not even rush-hour. Thus there are clear traffic problems here but don't exaggerate them. Dublin is similar to London's mayhem. And both generally angrier.

And cycling into or around town is no bother at all.

For many people the centre is less than 30 mins walk (eg Newcastle, Dangan, Westside, Shantalla, Salthill, Taylor's Hill) but there's the standard over-reliance on cars.

And as before the public transport is there but the worship of cars means you can't get people out of their motors. This issue applies to almost every city on this continent. And beyond.

Will continue in three years. Enjoy your weekend.

You can reliably get a bus or a tram from Heuston to O'Connel st in about 13 minutes no matter the time of day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Apologies. I stand corrected. Attymon is the station for Loughrea on the Dublin-Galwayroute and it's not even close (15 mins drive).

Yes, they can park in attymon bog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

cgcsb wrote: »
    Love Waterford and if u wanted to live there houses and apartments are ten a penny. No work there though

Visited waterford a little over two years ago, looked to be where Limerick was circa 2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Galway people are the greediest in the land.

Any objective evidence to support this claim?

You can reliably get a bus or a tram from Heuston to O'Connel st in about 13 minutes no matter the time of day

And if you're driving? As I was.

Silly is thee most polite description.

Again a poster who's not read the thread. Look up the post on Ghent, Durrow, Copenhagen, etc.

Surely likely to change? As people work more remotely. Family down there all week before the ATN festival were raving about the town and coastline.

Any objective evidence to support this claim?

The greatest bile matches up to the least empirical evidence.

• Advertisement

And if you're driving? As I was.

You'll waste 45 minutes because people shouldn't be driving cars into the centre anyway

Surely likely to change? As people work more remotely. Family down there all week before the ATN festival were raving about the town and coastline.

We've been promised a remote working world since the 70s. It doesn't work.

You'll waste 45 minutes because people shouldn't be driving cars into the centre anyway

Fully agree but had to pick up in-laws arriving from central Europe.

Fully agree but had to pick up in-laws arriving from central Europe.
    Your in laws arrived on O'Connell st? Did they parachute in?

We've been promised a remote working world since the 70s. It doesn't work.

Probably true judging by the slacking that goes on when people work from home. Myself included.

Waterford is very appealing though. And more so to those on the east coast who want to leave Dublin but stay relatively close. Wexford likely too expensive now. The arts scene and location is great. Be nice to see the city thrive in the way that others have.

Your in laws arrived on O'Connell st? Did they parachute in?

Flight then coach. 21st century transport innit.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Seathrun66 claims Galway has so much going on then spends the bank holiday weekend on boards.ie lmao

Also claims people should be banned from driving cars in galway because galway doesnt have a traffic problem :rolleyes:

Seathrun66 claims Galway has so much going on then spends the bank holiday weekend on boards.ie lmao

Also claims people should be banned from driving cars in galway because galway doesnt have a traffic problem :rolleyes:

Nuance ain't your speciality Rainybill. Try reading through the thread again.

And shortly on my way to the Races with my toddler. Back to where the thread started.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

And shortly on my way to the Races with my toddler. Back to where the thread started.
    Are you going by boat? It is absolutely bucketing down out there

Ficheall wrote: »

Ha ha. Yeah, just started. Am reconsidering now. Not beach weather either so I'll have to get some tips from the more beligerent posters here.

Edit - rain cleared so off to Ballybrit. Likely to get soaked. To the probable delight of a few posters on here. Enjoy your Sunday.

• Advertisement

And btw Rainybill did a Galwegian run off with your wife or something? The denizens of the town must have done something nasty to deserve your opprobrium. Can we make it up to you?

Flight then coach. 21st century transport innit.

So they arrive at Dublin airport and take public transport to O'Connell st and you all agreed that would be a preferable location for a pick up by car???

I'm struggling to understand the logic. Surely collection at the airport is easier or they could take public transport to somewhere closer to their final destination. Why aŕrange to take public transport to arguably one of the most awkward parts of the coutntry to collect a passenger in a car. Then complain about traffic?

Is this the reason why we've to be choked on diesel fumes? People making absolutely ridiculous travel decisions.

So they arrive at Dublin airport and take public transport to O'Connell st and you all agreed that would be a preferable location for a pick up by car???

I'm struggling to understand the logic. Surely collection at the airport is easier or they could take public transport to somewhere closer to their final destination. Why aŕrange to take public transport to arguably one of the most awkward parts of the coutntry to collect a passenger in a car. Then complain about traffic?

Is this the reason why we've to be choked on diesel fumes? People making absolutely ridiculous travel decisions.

Work and timing innit? Will give you a full PM breakdown of my agenda for that day if you'd like further info.

• Ficheall wrote: »

It’s not too bad back here only started raining now really and plenty of inside space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Supply and demand being entirely down to the attractiveness of what's on offer.

Rain figures are comparable to Cork. More than Dublin but less than other spots on the Atlantic coast.

Traffic problems depend on your location. On the western side of the city far better than on the east. I've found it pretty easy. Certainly not the madness I had in London and Dublin is comparable. It's also easy to cycle around and for many the town centre is within walking distance.

Public transport is no better nor worse than elsewhere in the country. All could be improved.

There's a huge student population indeed. But they generally tend to drink at home then come into town late at night so they're not the main demographic in the pubs during the week. There's also a large tourist presence at all times of the year. I welcome both groups.

Every city in the country is less affordable. Dublin unsustainably so for younger people, relatively few of whom have any chance of getting on the housing ladder. In comparison the other Irish cities have properties that are obtainable.

I've lived here for two years, had worked here previously for a year before taking off for Asia, Australia then Oxford and London. I know the city pretty well and am defending it mainly due to my surprise at the vitriol towards it. If the New York Times, Irish Times, Guardian, Travel & Leisure and other publications are raving about the town can you then blame the local denizens for being proud of it? They're not saying it's better than other places, they just happen to like where they live.

And btw no, I'm not single but how would that preclude me from observing the dating scene here? Pals give feedback and the town is immensely friendly. Hard to avoid contact on a night out with people that may appeal to you. I also don't use crystal meth but am not obstructed from commenting on its cultural impact either.

Finally, why are so many people who don't live in Galway so concerned about the place? As a city it must be doing something right.

Isn’t describing it as “vitriol” a tad over the top? That’s a very strong word. It’s just pushback against what some people see as its overstated great reputation.

Isn’t describing it as “vitriol” a tad over the top? That’s a very strong word. It’s just pushback against what some people see as its overstated great reputation.

A few quotes ODB:

'small parochial backwater with a third rate uni'
    'intellectually shallow pissheads'
    'greediest in the land'
    'inflated sense of importance'

All the above may be true. It's for others to decide. But it strikes me as a reflection of the lack of dignity of the posters that ad hominen attacks replace actual discussion.

And yes, vitriol is too strong. Most of the posters seem annoyed about some stuff in the city but quite like other stuff. Kind of how I feel about most urban places in this country. I've positive stuff to say about all and would happily live in several other places in the land.

• Isn’t describing it as “vitriol” a tad over the top? That’s a very strong word. It’s just pushback against what some people see as its overstated great reputation.

The only thing that’s overstated is people’s nonsense reasons for disliking Galway. If you don’t like Galway it’s an issue with the person not Galway.

Rubbish like “there is nothing to do”. What the hell are people doing in the evenings that they feel they can’t do stuff in Galway.

The one thing I know is is I wouldn’t wish living in Dublin on my worst enemy. A dive of a place that I avoid if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The only thing that’s overstated is people’s nonsense reasons for disliking Galway. If you don’t like Galway it’s an issue with the person not Galway.

Rubbish like “there is nothing to do”. What the hell are people doing in the evenings that they feel they can’t do stuff in Galway.

The one thing I know is is I wouldn’t wish living in Dublin on my worst enemy. A dive of a place that I avoid if at all possible.

That's as factual as the examples of vitriol highlighted earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Fair play Seathrun66 impressive and accurate defending of Galway from a lot of misinformed and jealous posters by using both facts and your own experiences.

So weird how these Galway bashing threads pop up every year. The place must definitely be doing something right.

If I was on the Galway 2020 committee I definitely nominate you for head of PR :D

For the love of jaysus. “oMg, uR jUs JeLLuS” is always the most inane of arguments if you can even call it an argument. It makes no sense. Any of us could live there. It’s not some glistening, out-of-reach place.

If you don’t like Dublin, it’s an issue with the person not Dublin.

See how silly that sounds?

I mean, your logic that if somebody doesn’t like a place, it’s the person that’s the problem. So, what’s your problem? Remember, I’m using your logic here.

• Advertisement

For the love of jaysus. “oMg, uR jUs JeLLuS” is always the most inane of arguments if you can even call it an argument. It makes no sense. Any of us could live there. It’s not some glistening, out-of-reach place.

If you don’t like Dublin, it’s an issue with the person not Dublin.

See how silly that sounds?

I mean, your logic that if somebody doesn’t like a place, it’s the person that’s the problem. So, what’s your problem? Remember, I’m using your logic here.

The poster quoted 'nonsense' reasons for disliking Galway. Not valid reasons which are completely acceptable. Saying the city is too small, has too much rain, insufficient international transport links or doesn't get enough major bands playing are good reasons for not wanting to live here. Others may not like the multiculturalism. For me it's a big plus after moving from London.

Invalid factually erroneous reasons include Galway being overrun with crusties. The ones I've met have been sound and the city has about 65 of them in total. Or there being noting to do bar go to the pub which is a tad absurd.

The poster is just puzzled by people giving daft reasons for not liking the city. As am I. No problem if you don't like it, fine if you hate it, entirely your prerogative. But hey, if you want to slag it off at least do us the courtesy of being accurate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement