Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flightradar24 (and other trackers) Thread Part IV

Comments

Growler!!! wrote: »
    Are you sure that's true? Even a small R22 has a transponder. It could be that the Rescue helicopter are operating below the FR24 receivers coverage and therefore not showing up.

The helis often show up on maritime AIS software if you want to see them operate out of FR24 range.

I think that all SAR helicopters and also the Garda helicopter(s) have transponders - they wouldn’t be allowed in controlled airspace without. I suspect that they are either out of range as per Growler’s comment or are filtered out from FR24.

I’ll do a little note on transponders in general today, in case it’s of any interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

A Kam Air 767 ex-Dublin currently over Eastern Germany. That’s an odd one.... it’s normal route seems to be Kabul-Istanbul.

Edit: on finals into Kiev Boryspils

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

they wouldn’t be allowed in controlled airspace without. I suspect that they are either out of range as per Growler’s comment or are filtered out from FR24.
    They may not have the correct type of transponder.

Out of curiosity, is it time to change the name of this thread so that it can include flight tracking on the other websites that are available? In particular Radar Box and ADSBEXCHANGE?

smurfjed wrote: »
    They may not have the correct type of transponder.

Sorry, what does “not the correct type of transponder” mean?

• Advertisement

I’m probably about to tell many of you what you already know, and there’s plenty on Wikipedia that’s going to be a lot more informative than me!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_surveillance_radar

Also my training took place a long while ago, and things have progressed plus my memory ain’t as good as it was!

Ordinary “Primary” radar works by sending out a radio pulse and then listening for the echo. The radar knows where it was pointing when it sent the pulse and received the echo, so it can display the direction of the object, and how long the pulse took to hit the object, so it can tell how far away the object is. One of the problems with primary radar is that it picks up trees, hills, masts, you name it, as well as aircraft; so-called “ground clutter” or “permanent echoes”.

A bit of a diversion. When I was first involved, you used some of the permanent echoes - a tv mast for example, to ensure the radar was set up properly. And there were metal structures adjacent to the touchdown points on the runways, which were visible on the radar, which you could align the final approach track with, for talkdowns.

Secondary Surveillance Radar (SSR) had its origins ( like many things!) in WWII. To sort out which radar returns were which, IFF or Identification Friend or Foe was introduced. A pulse is sent out, and a receiver on the aircraft hears it, and responds with an answering pulse. Hence “Transponder”. It’s a bit like calling out, “who goes there; friend or foe” and the friend responds with a code

To keep this secret from Gerry, the transponder box on the aircraft was called the “Parrot” and the instruction to turn it on was “Squawk your parrot”. And the first part of that still survives in phraseology such as “blah blah Liffey5A departure squawk 3423...”

At first, there were only 64 possible transponder codes. The numbers can only be between 0 and 7 - you’ll never hear a squawk with an 8 or 9 in it. Thats all to do with the pulses representing 0, 1, 2, or 4, or any combination of those, and at one end of the scale it could be a 0, or if all the pulses are sent, it’s 1+2+4 = 7

This evolved into the present system, where the squawk code consists of 4 digits, each one being between 0 and 7, so there are 4096 possible codes. Some are reserved for emergencies etc, and there is a regime for allocating codes so that the same code isn’t allocated to two aircraft where the possibility of confusion exists

Transponders can also send altitude information; this is called Mode C, and is basically an enhancement of the original system.

There’s a huge amount of information on Eurocontrol’s Skybrary pages, rather than me blather on all evening!

I’m not sure if this is useful, please let me know (PM welcome!)

Robert6920, thank you for the explanation, to answer your question, you stated that the original transponders had the capability to have 64 possible numbers, this was later increased to 4096 variations. The rest of the technology behind the messages has also evolved over time, transponders had to comply with requirements called DO-260, later DO-260A and since 04Jan20 in the USA DO-260B, this standard was supposed to be implemented in EASA land next month, but due to COVID its delayed until the end of the year.

If you look at https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/ and pick an aircraft, there is now a wealth of information available to the controller from the aircraft, due to the fact that this information isn’t encrypted, its also available to any person who has an ADS receiver and these people are the source of the information provided to most tracking sites.

DO-260B ADS-B-OUT also has a sister called ADS-B-IN, I believe right now that this is only available on the 787 and A350, but this allows the crew to see all the same information as you/I get to see on a tracking site, they can literally pick any aircraft and see all of the data about that aircraft, its pretty cool.

My original comment that the aircraft may not have the correct transponder is based around the DO-260B mandate, if they had an older “box” they should have had it scheduled for replacement by June 2020.

Robert6920, thank you for the explanation, to answer your question, you stated that the original transponders had the capability to have 64 possible numbers, this was later increased to 4096 variations. The rest of the technology behind the messages has also evolved over time, transponders had to comply with requirements called DO-260, later DO-260A and since 04Jan20 in the USA DO-260B, this standard was supposed to be implemented in EASA land next month, but due to COVID its delayed until the end of the year.

If you look at https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/ and pick an aircraft, there is now a wealth of information available to the controller from the aircraft, due to the fact that this information isn’t encrypted, its also available to any person who has an ADS receiver and these people are the source of the information provided to most tracking sites.

DO-260B ADS-B-OUT also has a sister called ADS-B-IN, I believe right now that this is only available on the 787 and A350, but this allows the crew to see all the same information as you/I get to see on a tracking site, they can literally pick any aircraft and see all of the data about that aircraft, its pretty cool.

My original comment that the aircraft may not have the correct transponder is based around the DO-260B mandate, if they had an older “box” they should have had it scheduled for replacement by June 2020.

Thanks Smurfjed. I misunderstood/mixed up in my own mind ADS-B and SSR transponders. Apart from the wealth of information contained in an ADS-B message (Informative article here https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Automatic_Dependent_Surveillance_Broadcast_(ADS-B)) The aircraft has a unique 24 bit address. So do ground vehicles operating on the manoeuvring area - at the moment, the only thing visible at DUB is the airport’s Ops3 vehicle, which itself has a unique 24 bit address.

As usual, I learn far more than I contribute to these threads!

I love SKYBRARY.AERO :):)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Most of the ground vehicles at Dublin will show up on flight radar (and other sites) if they are moving or active on the airfield, so things like the fire engines will show up as they move out of the station.

It's worth pointing out at the same time that while the ground stations that are available to the public domain don't show the resolution information, the collision avoidance system (TCAS) also uses the transponder information to determine if there is a collision risk with other aircraft that are in range.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Out of curiosity, is it time to change the name of this thread so that it can include flight tracking on the other websites that are available? In particular Radar Box and ADSBEXCHANGE?

There was a discussion back in the day regarding the title. At one point there were 2 separate flight tracking threads.
    We settled on “flightradar24” as it was the app/website that was most widely known/used.
    Novices would recognise the name when looking for info, experts would recognise the intent even if they used a more involved app/site.

I’ve no problem though if people think it should be renamed to “Flight Tracker Thread”.
    Don’t think anyone else would either.

Thoughts below maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

No issue here. I'll still know what the thread is at the end of the day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Tenger wrote: »
    There was a discussion back in the day regarding the title. At one point there were 2 separate flight tracking threads.
    We settled on “flightradar24” as it was the app/website that was most widely known/used.
    Novices would recognise the name when looking for info, experts would recognise the intent even if they used a more involved app/site.

I’ve no problem though if people think it should be renamed to “Flight Tracker Thread”.
    Don’t think anyone else would either.

Thoughts below maybe.

Works ok for me. Maybe add "(all flight trackers)~ to the title ?

Flightradar24 (All flight trackers included) Thread Part IV

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DaveR1000

https://www.flightradar24.com/THY6551/2485011f

747 Cargo on approach to Shannon now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Around 00:30 this morning, a Cargolux B747 went overhead here in North Dublin at FL300. It was far noisier than the EI 330's that pass over at half that height enroute to China. I actually thought it was on approach rather than enroute.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

El Al - Dublin to Tel Aviv with a 787-9 presume its a repatriation flight.

https://www.flightradar24.com/ELY304/248524b8

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

blindsider wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm not going to trawl the thread....

Do Emergency Service aircraft not appear on Flightradar? I've often looked out my window at a Sikorsky flying overhead, and it's not on FR at all. Ditto with the Red/Yellow community Air Ambulance...never appears on FR.

Thanks.

In addition to robert6920’s answer above, these sites primarily use ADS-B signals received by members of the public with a scanner set up feeding transmissions received from the transponders to the site. Most commercial aircraft have ADS-B transponders, and they’re mandated to be installed in all aircraft, but the deadline has been pushed out a few times and there are a number of exemptions for certain types of aircraft and operators. ADS-B transmits the aircraft’s identity and position as calculated by onboard navigation systems.

Tracker sites can also use replies from Mode S transponders which provide the aircraft’s identity and altitude along with some other information, but not the position. The position is calculated by radar based on the time taken for a reply to be received, and which direction the radar was pointing when it sent the interrogation (plus measuring difference in time for separate antennas on the radar to receive the same reply in Monopulse SSRs). For flight tracker sites to get a position from these transmissions, they need 2 or more receivers to receive the same reply so the difference in time of arrival of the signal can be used to calculate a position.

FlightRadar24 blocks details of some aircraft they track (e.g. military or private planes whose owners have asked for them to be blocked). In some cases the aircraft won’t be shown at all, sometimes it shows only the type but not the registration or aircraft ID.

Of the Irish Coast Guard fleet, only EI-ICS (usually Waterford based I believe, but they do move around) has an ADS-B transponder, the rest have Mode S. As these aircraft generally operate at fairly low altitudes, the chances of buildings, terrain, curvature of the earth etc. blocking line of sight and thus the radio signals means they very often aren’t being picked up by enough ground stations to calculate a position. They all have marine AIS transponders that do transmit position though, so can usually be seen on MarineTraffic and other ship tracking sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Currently Rescue 118 Sligo is on Flight Radar showing as EI-ICU, I also know that Shannon Rescue 115 has a transponder and has shown one or twice ,they can be seen and tracked on the Marine Traffic App

Looking right now, there appears to be no general aviation traffic in Ireland, but the UK skies are packed.

Glad that some people are having fun.

Rescue 118 just landing now at Galway Hospital showing on Marine Traffic but not on flight radar like she was this morning.

• Advertisement

It’s showing up on adsbexchange

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Rescue 118 just landing now at Galway Hospital showing on Marine Traffic but not on flight radar like she was this morning.

Air Corps 112 has landed on the main pad and 118 on the secondary pad, Air Corps 112 never shows on flight radar .

EI-ICS showing up at Waterford (FR24)

Rescue 118 and Rescue 117 are showing now on flight radar 24 and if interested Rescue 115 gone on a long range tasking South of Ireland currently on Marine Traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Is there a site to view marine traffic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Alpha Romeo

Rescue 115 inbound to Cork from Norwegian Naval Vessel with injured crewman 300km off the Cork coast, Rescue 118 tasked to Aran Islands then to Galway Hospital.

Rescue mission to injured seaman off Cork coast

http://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0519/1139376-coast-guard/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

AHY7005 Boeing 787 VP-BBR of Azerbaijan Airlines approaching Norfolk coast inbound to Dublin from Baku.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Air Corps 112 has landed on the main pad and 118 on the secondary pad, Air Corps 112 never shows on flight radar .

Have definitely seen AC112 on FR24 a few times, again it’s a matter of a Mode S signal being received by enough receivers to use multilateration to calculate a position.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Air Corps aircraft have ADS-B but are no longer displayed on FR24 similar to other military aircraft. They do show on ADSBExchange. The Garda helicopters and the Casa don’t show either but the PC9s, the new PC12 and the Learjet (only shows type) do appear on FR24.

Advertisement