Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi Mirage Mivec Coupe

• 16-08-2008 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭

hey everyone, just making enquiries about these. have two of the 1.3 mirage coupes and love them. saving for a mivec now that i have a full licence, but want to know a bit about them...

what kind of mpg do you get? service costs, are they decent enough? what about parts...how easy are mechanical bits and pieces to get a hold of for them? if anyones had one, could you tell me anything in particular about them, like common problems or whether youve had no issues at all?

cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cyborg

I had one for a 1yr 1/2 and it gave me no trouble whatsoever.
    Mpg would never dip below 30mpg no matter how hard I drove it.
    high 30's possible on a run. Don't know about getting spare parts cause I never had to!
    It has a really great engine (& sounded beautiful) and the suspension is spot on form the factory, don't lower it.
    I really miss that car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

yeah ive heard good things about them. itll basically come down to insurance though id say, im still only twenty, but driving two years and have a full licence. the 1.3s are great, but only when you get them up to speed. mine are automatic and very slow to get going. and im not a fan of automatics. if iwas buying a mivec one, what mileage would be considered too high for one? most of them seem to be around the 60,000 to 80,000 mark.. is it worth shelling out another two grand or so to get a 30k one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

you'd only crash it I'd say. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

ClioV6 wrote: »

howya lloyd. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

NiSmO wrote: »

And so is that a 100% guarantee, that a honda DOHC block, will never get any of these problems? BS mate.

Now, the MPG, depends on how you drive it, for me it is usally good, due to the mivec.

Engine wise they are sound, I have never had a problem with mine, EVER.

Parts are avaiable, as most are shared with other cars, lancer mivec, colt, mirage, some galant parts too.

If your going for one, go for the Mirage RS or the cyborg ZR. The RS is the lightweight, and the ZR is the one with all the extras, there both the top end of the mivec range...

As for the milage, most are in KM's, but I wouldnt worrie about the millage too be honest, they keep running for ever.

ClioV6 wrote: »

Yeah, and he might crash it into you. Serious, post if you got something decent to say. There are garda too deal with boy racers etc.. don't take it into your own hands or hold a grudge, and share your **** options in a thread asking about a car.

nah its ok lol...hes a friend of mine. as for the boy racer comment, not sure what way that was intended, but i wouldnt consider myself a boy-racer. i might be driving a bright yellow fiat punto sporting with a big wing on it at the moment, but only to sort out the nct on it for my sister! the shame..

oh and thanks for the info..was wondering which coupe to aim for, and what the differences were... how much difference is there between the RS and the other variants? just a little weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

msg11 wrote: »
    Yeah, and he might crash it into you. Serious, post if you got something decent to say. There are garda too deal with boy racers etc.. don't take it into your own hands or hold a grudge, and share your **** options in a thread asking about a car.

lol.
    he already crashed into me! :D

not an opinion..just a pending fact :pac:

anyway, I wouldn't buy a mirage..from what I've heard about 50% of them break? :eek:
    (ohhh btw msg11, that's a JOKE! so please, shush yourself.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

decent machine - had a cyborg zr for a while - intake and exhaust cams are independently controlled, unlike vtec - usually go for not a lot of money either, so all round a good buy. no probs getting parts from mitsubishi garages either....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

NiSmO wrote: »

True, they can both have bad points, if there rallied. I have no problems with vtecs or mivecs there just controllers. It is how the block is built and down to the DOHC at the end of the day.

All the mivec range uses the 4G92, the RS as different cams from the rest of the range, its the rally version. The ZR is the comptetior too the SIR/Type R honda range. And the RS is the comptetior too the Type R /RS Civic.

The reason the RS and ZR are at the top end of the mivec range is because the power to weight ratio is better than the coupés or the saloons.

The colt he has must be an engine transplant gone wrong, or the engine has just had it.

ClioV6, may-be you ment it as a joke, but I don't think everyone knows who you are on boards.ie, so I took it as another smart as comment against high performance car drivers (high performance as in there class 1.6 etc...)

Virtul handshake etc...

ottostreet, the coupes come in the version R and the ZR, I have never had dealings with these cars but I cannot comment, but the powerful mivecs are the hatchbacks.

BTW, the cars are around 150-160 BHP, most say 180-200, but this is not true, same is for the type R civics. This is with basic mods air etc...

Hope this helps !

not sure how comparable the colt mivec is, since the colt is europe-intended version. the mirage in both coupe and hatchback is only available as a japanese import and as such, the engines differ slightly, as in they are japan-mapped. thats my interpreation anyway.

Mirage - oldest. available as a coupe, saloon, and hatchback. was not exported to europe in any form. the mirage hatchback evolved into the colt for european markets, and the saloon into the lancer. all in the early nineties. the mirage then died out as it didnt really fill any market that the colt or the lancer filled, and was pulled in 2002.

msg11 wrote: »
    True, they can both have bad points, if there rallied. I have no problems with vtecs or mivecs there just controllers. It is how the block is built and down to the DOHC at the end of the day.

All the mivec range uses the 4G92, the RS as different cams from the rest of the range, its the rally version. The ZR is the comptetior too the SIR/Type R honda range. And the RS is the comptetior too the Type R /RS Civic.

The reason the RS and ZR are at the top end of the mivec range is because the power to weight ratio is better than the coupés or the saloons.

The colt he has must be an engine transplant gone wrong, or the engine has just had it.

ClioV6, may-be you ment it as a joke, but I don't think everyone knows who you are on boards.ie, so I took it as another smart as comment against high performance car drivers (high performance as in there class 1.6 etc...)

Virtul handshake etc...

ottostreet, the coupes come in the version R and the ZR, I have never had dealings with these cars but I cannot comment, but the powerful mivecs are the hatchbacks.

BTW, the cars are around 150-160 BHP, most say 180-200, but this is not true, same is for the type R civics. This is with basic mods air etc...

Hope this helps !

thank you very much. i was wondering why the supposed power difference between the mivec dohc 1.6's and the comparable vtecs. im looking at an RX version R, and a ZR.. so basically the two you dont know as much about! but thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭coillcam

OP My cousin is selling his white 97 mirage coupe, in Mullingar btw. PM me if you'd like me to pass on his number.

Advertisement