Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway Airport - pics and chat

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

It would not be even slightly difficult to make a public transport connection, though.

True, but I just find the current situation bizarre. Knock, the airport being championed as the main hub for Connacht, handled the highest passenger numbers in its history last year, and still the only bus route from the biggest population centre in Connacht meanders through rural north east Galway adding at least 40 minutes to the journey (upwards of an hour any time I've taken it).

It's as quick to get to Dublin with the eireagle usually, with the advantage of more regular connections meaning less travel time overall in most cases. So something's not right, and it doesn't make any sense to me that a Galway based authority would invest in it until it's been proven a viable transport option for Galway residents. I'd rather see them invest that money in Galway Airport tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

True, but I just find the current situation bizarre. Knock, the airport being championed as the main hub for Connacht, handled the highest passenger numbers in its history last year, and still the only bus route from the biggest population centre in Connacht meanders through rural north east Galway adding at least 40 minutes to the journey (upwards of an hour any time I've taken it).

It's as quick to get to Dublin with the eireagle usually, with the advantage of more regular connections meaning less travel time overall in most cases. So something's not right, and it doesn't make any sense to me that a Galway based authority would invest in it until it's been proven a viable transport option for Galway residents. I'd rather see them invest that money in Galway Airport tbh.

Totally agree, well said!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

So something's not right, and it doesn't make any sense to me that a Galway based authority would invest in it

They were encouraged to.
    wrote:
    I'd rather see them invest that money in Galway Airport tbh.

They have done that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Beautiful company jet Falcon 2000 at Galway Airport today

IMG-20150908-WA0001_zps8ndxajwc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Any idea when she's leaving? Or has she already left?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Nice pic!

I wonder if it will end up in the Connaught Tribune again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

I saw it take off just before midday on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've merged image threads together. The threads are also doubled in Aviation forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

BE had to be brought kicking and screaming to server Ireland West at all. It took years of local TDs and the airport lobbying, despite passenger numbers and hundreds of BE services passing the airport on the N17/N5 weekly. They had extensive schedules to other state airports. You could be forgiven for thinking one state agency protecting another.

Surprised Citylink or another private operator hasn't looked at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

BE had to be brought kicking and screaming to server Ireland West at all.
    I believe that you are incorrect here.

There was a local service for many years serving Knock airport and one of the local towns (Charlestown I believe).

This was then withdrawn with the revamp of the Galway/Derry services to include stopping at the airport.
    and still the only bus route from the biggest population centre in Connacht meanders through rural north east Galway adding at least 40 minutes to the journey (upwards of an hour any time I've taken it
    Surprised Citylink or another private operator hasn't looked at it.[/
    If there was a market they would be there.
    So the only viable bus service is as a spur from a current service.

The private service from Galway to Shannon at the height of the boom didn't last either.
    They had extensive schedules to other state airports. You could be forgiven for thinking one state agency protecting another.
    The "Shannon" service is simply a spur on the Cork/Galway service.

Cork has dedicated local access to the City centre for onward connections.

Dublin airport services speak for themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement