Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shops/Businesses opening/closing down

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭NoPasaran

Has anybody been to the Brazilian restaurant (I think?) that opened where the Shawl/Mean Fiddler used to be? Is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,892 ✭✭✭thesandeman

No. But I pass it most days and it doesn't seem very busy except weekends but that could only be for the bar. Was in the bar once but it was just after the last hot weekend and they were totally out of cider. Had a Brahma instead and it cost a fiver for a longneck. Staff seemed sound though.

What's it called?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

NoPasaran wrote: »
    What's it called?

what's what called?

what's what called?
    The Brazilian restaurant being discussed in the two posts immediately preceding my question :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

NoPasaran wrote: »
    The Brazilian restaurant being discussed in the two posts immediately preceding my question :pac:

Feijoadao............not sure if theres more to it than that,i'll be passing later and i'll have a look.

Feijoadao............not sure if theres more to it than that,i'll be passing later and i'll have a look.
    Yep that seems to be it according to the FB page, website is only for the Dublin location though and no menus online either.

Have to wonder what business owners do be thinking opening places in this economic climate without any sort of groundwork in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

They have a great delivery service
    From their website "We offer Delivery – Monday to Friday from 12pm to 16pm"

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Paddyfield wrote: »
    I hear ya. I work on the street so I hear all of the news.

No bad intentions on my behalf. I will only post when there are feasible links in future.

The unit in question is now empty and the shop sign removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

01902 wrote: »
    The unit in question is now empty and the shop sign removed.

Fancy telling us where that is? The earlier snips (justified at the time) have my mystified ...

• Advertisement

Can't find any online linkys .. but page 40 of today's Galway Indo sez "a brand new group of late bars are to open in Shop St on Fri 19 July"

The Manhattan Bar .. wine, Prosecco and perfect 80s and 90s music at just the right level
    The Stock Exchange "right on Shop St beside Easons, featuring windows into the street below" ...
    The VIP Lounge ... a bookable space where and 40 friends can enjoy luxurious furnishing behind your own velvet rope
    A brand spanking new Coyotes on its own level

Opening at 9pm with a fun super opening party featuring Rat Pack Crooning, Vegas Showgirls etc.

Translation: the former dignity space has had a re-furb and extension Coyotes are going in there. They're trying to get a wider cross-section into the place.

I won't see ye there. Might suggest the velvet rope to some of my preferred pubs ... 'n watch 'em die laughing.

Fancy telling us where that is? The earlier snips (justified at the time) have my mystified ...

Zerep, corner of Shop St and Abbeygate St.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

got food from Indian kebab Hut last week through 'whats for dinner', i forgot to ask where this take away was, only detail i have is that its on the headford road, trying to save delivery fee and have a walk, any ideas where it is?

EDIT: the reason i asked here is because its new and falls under businesses opening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

swiftman wrote: »
    got food from Indian kebab Hut last week through 'whats for dinner', i forgot to ask where this take away was, only detail i have is that its on the headford road, trying to save delivery fee and have a walk, any ideas where it is?

EDIT: the reason i asked here is because its new and falls under businesses opening

is it the place beside Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I know there's an Indian place in Terryland, think it's called Shari Palace or something like that. It's just after Dunnes (coming from town) beside where N17 Electrical used to be. Guess that would come under Headford Road.

ah your right, they do have a 'just eat' website sticker in the window. thats been there for 2 years, weird how its named different on the shop sign and website.

thanks for the replys

ah your right, they do have a 'just eat' website sticker in the window. thats been there for 2 years, weird how its named different on the shop sign and website.

thanks for the replys

Sahi Palace is still called that and they are/were on justeat as Sahi Palace!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭squonk

+1 Sahi Palace. They do nice kebabs. Wasn't mad about their Chicken Madras but it's been an age since I tried it anyway. Nice spot. I like it.

Looks like the Bank Of Ireland at the shopping centre is gone. Boarded up today and they were removing the Atm's on friday. Always found that place handy and alot less busy then BOI on eyre square

edit:
    Bank of Ireland's branch at Galway Shopping Centre on the Headford Road is to close in July.

The branch is to merge into the BOI outlet at Galway Industrial Estate in Mervue.

Galway Bay fm news reports the 14 staff impacted are to be offered redeployment and there will be no job losses.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/31419-bank-ireland-galway-shopping-centre-branch-close

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭squonk

Christ you'd think they'd have left the ATMs in some shape or form. There's only the Ulster Bank and Perm TSB ATMs there now. They're more awkward.

• Advertisement

Downtown Cafe has opened in the unit in Upper AbbeyGate Steeet that used to be Delight, and since then has been Mr Chipper, a German place, one or two other things ....

Looks more like a daytime takeaways than a genuine cafe to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Coyotes closed down on Saturday night, the same owner re-opening The Stock Exchange on Shop Street this Friday, looking for a different clientele this time AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Hopefully, the rodeo bull won't be scrapped. That was about all Coyotes had going for itself.

Shanley wrote: »
    Coyotes closed down on Saturday night, the same owner re-opening The Stock Exchange on Shop Street this Friday, looking for a different clientele this time AFAIK

Apparently its one cocktail type bar aimed at the ladies crowd, one vip type area and then one general commoners bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Apparently its one cocktail type bar aimed at the ladies crowd, one vip type area and then one general commoners bar.

"A brand new group of late bars are to open in Galway on July 19th. Multi-level bars catering to different crowds, The Stock Exchange is the ideal after-work lounge bar for professionals to let their hair down after a day in the office. The Manhattan Lounge is a dream come true for the sophisticated ‘Sex and the City’ crowd seeking wine and cocktails after a few hours of major shopping sprees. The entire space is dotted with large scale iconic images of New York City (perfect for photo opportunities), including the Empire State Building, The Statue of Liberty, bustling Times Square and of course, Wall Street."

From their Facebook Page

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

"A brand new group of late bars are to open in Galway on July 19th. Multi-level bars catering to different crowds, The Stock Exchange is the ideal after-work lounge bar for professionals to let their hair down after a day in the office. The Manhattan Lounge is a dream come true for the sophisticated ‘Sex and the City’ crowd seeking wine and cocktails after a few hours of major shopping sprees. The entire space is dotted with large scale iconic images of New York City (perfect for photo opportunities), including the Empire State Building, The Statue of Liberty, bustling Times Square and of course, Wall Street."

From their Facebook Page

3rb4ej.jpg

:pac:

You mean like old enough to drink, and with clothes (as opposed to underwear) on?

They're gonna have to lose the brand to make that happen, me thinks.

Grown-ups are still going to go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,892 ✭✭✭thesandeman

When they closed the butchers in the mid-late 90's that was exactly what the place opened up as. It was only on the first and second floors though with the entrance beside the old Advertiser offices on Church Lane. Think it may have been called 'Church Lane NiteClub' but that doesn't sound fancy enough so it must have had a different name before the place met its demise for the first of many times over the years.
    I remember its selling point was that you could sit in the front window and overlook Shop Street (not the same dude that designed The Bal surely??). Never even attempted to gain entry myself even though I was curious at the time.
    Does the fact that they are saying it's three venues mean they are using the ground floor as well I wonder? Could be interesting getting down Shop Street at night if so.

When they closed the butchers in the mid-late 90's that was exactly what the place opened up as. It was only on the first and second floors though with the entrance beside the old Advertiser offices on Church Lane. Think it may have been called 'Church Lane NiteClub' but that doesn't sound fancy enough so it must have had a different name before the place met its demise for the first of many times over the years.
    I remember its selling point was that you could sit in the front window and overlook Shop Street (not the same dude that designed The Bal surely??). Never even attempted to gain entry myself even though I was curious at the time.
    Does the fact that they are saying it's three venues mean they are using the ground floor as well I wonder? Could be interesting getting down Shop Street at night if so.

Yup twas Church Lane,i graced it a total of two times, each as bad as the other. Twas tiny and full of stairs, my lingering memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Yup twas Church Lane,i graced it a total of two times, each as bad as the other. Twas tiny and full of stairs, my lingering memory.

Before it was church lane it was pompei (not sure of the spelling)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement