Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road to Tokyo 2020 - Irish Olympic News

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yes, but only if the Argentinian that beat him makes the final. He's the 11th seed so he probably won't, which would mean Woolley's Olympics would be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ah I see. Desperately disappointing for him so.

A bit of a lull now in terms of Irish competitors after a busy early morning. McCarthy and O'Donovan were predictably impressive, but the highlight for me was definitely the Women's Four, they were excellent and will go close to a medal. McClenaghan in good shape to challenge for a medal also. Biggest disappointment was probably Byrne and Doyle, they made the semis but looked well off the pace needed to even challenge for a medal.

The road race will continue for another few hours with the three Irish lads well positioned in the peloton and then there's swimming and hockey later on.

Eddie Dunbar part of a breakaway group of three in the road race, 50km from home.

Edit - the breakaway doesn't hold, but credit to him for trying it there, if they had gotten away he was well set for a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭klose

My legs are screaming at me watching the cyclists doing the mountain stage, brutal stuff.

No joy for the Argentinian in the semi final of the Taekwondo so that's the end of Jack Woolley's games, the first Irish competitor to finish up. Will be followed in the next half an hour or so by Martin and Dunbar, who have been dropped in the road race.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Is there a general Olympics thread on here at all, or is it just for the Irish team? Can't seem to find it if there is, but this new forum is such a disjointed mess it could be there in front of me and I still wouldn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ireland 1 South Africa 0 at half time in the hockey

Should be further ahead, a second goal would turn the screw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Now 2-0, that should ease the nerves - we've been totally dominant anyway.

• Advertisement

There's a general thread in the After Hours forum. I'm sure there will be something in the athletics forum specifically for track and field once that starts next weekend.

Not sure if this thread title should be renamed as we are no longer on the road to Tokyo, but it has always really just been for Irish competitors either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Annaliese Murphy 35th of 44 in her opening race, one more race later and I’m sure she will be hoping to do a bit better.

No wind = no hope for Annalise. Always needs strong winds to have a chance because of her size compared to her rivals.

I'm really glad she got the silver last time out because the winds aren't always going to fall in her favour at the Olympics so it's great that she got the medal when the conditions fell her way.

One bad race here is not a disaster by any means but if the winds don't pick up she'll end up a long way back in the field unfortunately.

Byrne and Doyle continued their poor form today, last in their semi final and more than 10 seconds behind the next worst team across the two semi finals. They will almost certainly finish last in the B final as well, their body language is of a team that have given up. Hard to know where it has gone wrong for them, maybe it will come out in time but something clearly not right.

Sanita Puspure with a good win in her single sculls QF, beating one of her medal rivals from the US. However the Russian in another QF was absolutely miles ahead of everyone else in terms of time, almost unbelievably so.

Sanita will have a battle on her hands for silver or bronze, her hopes probably depend on how much she was holding in reserve today (it didn't look like she held too much back).

This could well be an event where silver becomes gold and fourth becomes bronze down the line being honest so still plenty of hope for her going into the semis.

Jegou missed a gate in the first slalom run so he will have it all to do in his second run.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

I would love to see Sanita do well. Remember how heartbroken she was at Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Good swim from Mona McSharry to finish 3rd in her heat behind a SA swimmer who beat the OR in first

Ninth fastest overall in the heats. She was ranked 11th going in so not entirely unexpected, but great to see her swim close to her best on the day all the same. If she could swim a PB in the semi she might squeeze into the final, which would be an amazing achievement.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Mona McSharry has made the final! Fabulous result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

7s losing 14-7 at half time. South Africa dominated possession and territory but ireland took a good score just before half time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

33-14 loss. comfortable win in end for South Africa but Ireland good in parts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

The hockey is frustrating. I know we're playing the Dutch but like most Irish teams we can't string a few passes together. Give possession back straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

To get to olympic final is some achievement. She have produce a PB to medal but who knows.

Brilliant from McSharry. First Irish Olympic swimming finalist since Mick Smith, or even earlier if you discount her achievements.

Would take a miracle for her to get a medal but even if she finishes 8th it will have been a fantastic Olympics for her.

Jegou has crashed out in the canoeing and the 7s really need a win against the US later this morning. Irvine will be disappointed to have lost a close enough fight at flyweight. Michaela Walsh up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Eire failing badly at most sports at the moment. Unlikely to get many medals at all. Maybe a couplE if bronzes at best if they’re lucky

No joy for Michaela Walsh - that's a real medal hope gone for us. Could be looking at Harrington as our only medal hope in boxing now, maybe Aiden Walsh also if things go his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Irelands biggest achievement in this olympics is likely to be on the coaching side of boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,772 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Irish competitor going in the sailing - the last day that cameras will be covering the Laser radials - and RTE decide to show Bel-Ger men's hockey??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

RTE are a joke. Their coverage in the last olympics was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭peek a boo

Great news to wake up to! Think she was on Ireland’s Fittest Family a while back. Some achievement.

To be fair most performances have been in line with ranking so far. The only big medal hope out so far would be Byrne/Doyle in rowing, they massively underperformed.

Other than that our three other rowing chances are all doing well, McClenaghan has made the final in the pommel and Kelly Harrington hasn't started yet in boxing. Those along with Aidan Walsh (hasn't started yet) and Byrne/Doyle were likely to be our best hopes. Mona McSharry is very unlikely to win a medal but has performed above expectations to make her final.

Still a good chance of four or five medals as things stand, which would make it one of our best performances ever at the Olympics. The focus in Ireland on GAA, soccer and 15s rugby will always limit our success levels at the Olympics unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Is anyone else finding this Olympics much harder to follow than previous years (even apart from the time difference)?

The loss of the BBC red button channels is dissapointing- I woke at 3am this morning to watch the rugby sevens only to find it not on RTE,BBC or any of the Eurosport channels. IS the Discovery+ app a good alternative?

But even the Olympic website I am finding quite disappointing, in Rio they had almost instant easy to follow results for every event. I have'nt found anything like that so far this year. I see the Olympic app mentioned earlier in the thread, maybe that's what I need?

Also the sailing live tracker seems much poorer and harder to follow than in Rio..

Advertisement