Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How thick are some people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think overestimating the intelligence of certain people is what leads to a lot of conspiracy theories. "But he is the top of his field in physics", just because he was good at sums doesn't mean everything else he believes, like ancient aliens, isn't complete horse shyte.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    I think overestimating the intelligence of certain people is what leads to a lot of conspiracy theories. "But he is the top of his field in physics", just because he was good at sums doesn't mean everything else he believes, like ancient aliens, isn't complete horse shyte.

Bit confused as to why you replied to me, but changed the name in the quote. I almost did not notice you had replied to me at all there :)

But I agree over estimation of intelligence is a danger, and it leads quite often to "Argument from Authority" fallacies. Observe for example the evolution deniers who offer up contrived lists of "scientists" who disagree with evolution. Huge chunks of people on such lists are not scientists in any field that would give them a basis to be included. But they think "Oh, trained scientists, that is enough for me". The lists contain DENTISTS for example.

But I think there ARE some individuals with a level of intelligence that can not easily be doubted. Newton for example. But their high level of intelligence does not stop them believing in unsubstantiated and abject nonsense at times.

What higher intelligence CAN do it give someone an unwarranted confidence in their own abilities and observations. For example the tendency of our species to find patterns where no pattern actually exists is high. Intelligent people are no less prone to this, but they are probably more prone to thinking their observations are valid. So you can find otherwise highly intelligent people getting infected with religious memes or anti-vaxination narratives and the like. Not because they are too stupid to know better, but because they are NOT stupid. Just plain hubris is all that is in play really.
    diomed wrote: »
    Just posting to say everyone on this thread is above average.

I do so love a good self selecting data set :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

There are buildings in the US and other countries that lack a floor 13 merely because people are scared of a number.
    Did you buy a car in Ireland in 2013?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

The same girl was having a chat with another girl. One girl said she lives in a bungalow. The other girl asked, is it a one story or a two story bungalow?

A guy I know is nicknamed Bungalow because he has nothing upstairs

Did you buy a car in Ireland in 2013?

I have not lived in Ireland since about 2009, so no. But I did until recently drive a 2013 Renault Scenic if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

me_irl wrote: »
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Adolf Hitler.

"In the future people will post fake quotes on the Internets" - Albert Einstein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Glenster wrote: »
    I did see a woman spend the bones of 20 seconds today trying to push open a pull door.

It had the word pull on it.

She even stopped for a second, cupped her hands and looked into a very well lit shop with people obviously milling about, and proceeded to try and push it open again.

I did that at an AnPost depot !!!! :eek::D
    Pushing the bloody door and looking in the windows for about 5 mins... then i pulled it..... Jaysus i was morto !!! :D:D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

Pretty thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

ooh look, the pilot managed to land the plane (as s/he has done hundreds and hundreds of times previously) lets all clap wildly?

I was once on a flight through stormy weather with a LOT of turbulence, and when the pilot landed in Dublin, the folks in Business Class clapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

"ooh look, the pilot managed to land the plane (as s/he has done hundreds and hundreds of times previously) lets all clap wildly"

Out of curiosity, do people boo when a plane crashed?

I hadnt experienced plane clappers in many many years. I thought it was a thing of the past. Unit i look 4 Air Baltic flights recently.

On 3/4 of the flights there was lots of clapping. On one of the flights some people clapped but it didnt catch on.

Insanity. Why dont i get a round of applause when i finish my work day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

And how much is this free weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Solar Freaking Roadways....

Are you retarded? The worst possible material to build a road out of is glass, and the worst possible place to put solar panels is lying flat on the ground underneath cars trucks and busses.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

mfceiling wrote: »
    I've posted this before and it's mostly to our Lady friends.

Full shop goes through in supermarket. Takes an age to pack bags...then stares at the cashier for an age. After being told the amount the search then takes place for the purse to pay. WHY? Why the fcuk couldn't you have had that ready when you were in the queue? It's not rocket science. The cashier will be looking for payment to conclude the transaction. And sorry ladies but it's always you 99% of the time. Stupid doesn't even cover it.

When the M50 still had a toll plaza....
    In the queue for 5 minutes and only when it is their turn to pay, start looking for money.

The biscuit was once taken by some complete and utter ****tard who did above and then managed to **** half of the coins outside the basket instead of in it. Out of the car, on all fours picking up the coins.

That time i genuinely felt i should be allowed to get away with murder.

I was once on a flight through stormy weather with a LOT of turbulence, and when the pilot landed in Dublin, the folks in Business Class clapped.
    Why not? Hard to do ...why not applaud for a good job? they do for actors!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Driving along the road, when some Audi or BMW driver overtakes you on a bend with a double white line and zooms off into the distance.

Two minutes later, you reach a set of traffic lights/ roundabout and hey presto that idiot who risked their life to get in front of you is in the exact same place they would have been had they not overtaken you.

Umkay here is one...when confronted with the recent news about NI lots of Irish Americans response is to speak medieval irish on twitter ...and only Irish. They think this has some relevance to the situation

Umkay here is one...when confronted with the recent news about NI lots of Irish Americans response is to speak medieval irish on twitter ...and only Irish. They think this has some relevance to the situation
    Like THAT is the issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Why not?

Like Fred, most business class travellers never clap. They are on a plane several times every month, the pilot takes off, he flies, he lands. Big deal.

When those people clap, it was a difficult landing.

Like Fred, most business class travellers never clap. They are on a plane several times every month, the pilot takes off, he flies, he lands. Big deal.

Plain snobbery = thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

thelad95 wrote: »
    Driving along the road, when some Audi or BMW driver overtakes you on a bend with a double white line and zooms off into the distance.

Two minutes later, you reach a set of traffic lights/ roundabout and hey presto that idiot who risked their life to get in front of you is in the exact same place they would have been had they not overtaken you.

Always saying that to my OH when some ignoramus is tailgating us and then roars past "Oh look, he/she has saved themselves five seconds!".

Snobs = Really thick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

It is usually the package holiday to the sun public that claps for the landing.

Any "normal" flight i have been on, there was no clapping for the landing.
    Nothing to do with business class or not.

inforfun wrote: »
    It is usually the package holiday to the sun public that claps for the landing.

Any "normal" flight i have been on, there was no clapping for the landing.
    Nothing to do with business class or not.
    Whenever I am on a plain the air hostess gives me crayons if i am a good girl!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭thomil

Victor wrote: »

Not every plane. But it's done with larger planes because (a) one of them might want to use the toilet and (b) one may become ill.

In addition, the workload during take-off and landing is often pretty high. Airspace around airports is usually pretty crowded, and not every aircraft may be equipped with a transponder, or have that switched on, so you have to keep a good lookout, and pay attention to any warnings from air traffic control. Add to that a sudden change in weather conditions, a change in the assigned runway, and soon, even a two man crew can be knee-deep in work.

That's why pilots usually split their tasks amongst each other during departure and prior to descent and landing. Usually, one pilot concentrates on operating the aircraft, while the other handles communications with ATC to get the required clearances. Also, the checklists in commercial airliners are designed around a two man crew.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

I hadnt experienced plane clappers in many many years. I thought it was a thing of the past.

Germans love doing it. Every flight I have ever taken out of Germany since moving here, bar none, to any destination..... claps at the end. Even, on one occasion, when we arrived 3.5 hours later than scheduled. Sends a lovely message to the airline when you are THAT delayed, to clap and congratulate them for it on landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Germans love doing it. Every flight I have ever taken out of Germany since moving here, bar none, to any destination..... claps at the end. Even, on one occasion, when we arrived 3.5 hours later than scheduled. Sends a lovely message to the airline when you are THAT delayed, to clap and congratulate them for it on landing.

Clapping in the cinema too. Never witnessed it but I'm sure it happens. In saying that if Amhran na bhfiann comes on the TV I'll probably whist up if I hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Victor wrote: »
    Not every plane. But it's done with larger planes because (a) one of them might want to use the toilet and (b) one may become ill.
    Or (C) because there needs to be two people to deal with the workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I hadnt experienced plane clappers in many many years.

Is that something you can catch from joining the Mile High Club?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Facebook is portal into the land of the dense. I have many good friends that once they were on FB revealed themselves as idiots. I find it hard to look at them as I once did.
    Facebook/Fakebook for idiots lot of pea brains live there.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I've got to say. I've never been on a plane where the passengers clapped the landing.

I remember a few kids clapping once on a transatlantic, but no-one joined in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

In Cork in the mid-90's, it became almost customary for people to have their multi channel boxes installed with a special chip device. Everyone had their boxes 'tapped'. This allowed the box to get additional premium subscription channels like Sky Sports, Sky Movies etc. All it cost was a £20 note slipped to the installer during the initial set up.

Cork Multi channel decided that enough was enough. They decided to invoke a sting operation.
    Initially, they encoded the frequency so that the image on the sub channels would be distorted every 5 seconds or so.
    The picture would go fuzzy for 5 seconds-go back to normal for 5 seconds-go fuzzy for 5 seconds etc etc
    While annoying it didn't result in the majority of people removing their chips.
    My dad, a self proclaimed intelligent man , wanted to ring to complain about the picture.
    He might as well have rang and told them "Hi, my tapped box isn't working".
    We persuaded him not to.

Subsequently, they realized that they could exploit both people's greed and their stupidity..
    So they got their technicians to encode the signal so that the offending boxes received a message on a particular channel every ten minutes of so. They took advantage of the upcoming World Cup in 1994 to catch people.

So a banner at the bottom of the screen read "FREE Ireland Jersey for all Subscribers - Ring CMC at 021-555 666"
    Only tapped boxes got the message.

Hundreds and thousands rang leaving their names and addresses.
    Not sure how much they were charged but I'm sure it involved a handsome penalty charge.

Advertisement