Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ASTEC 63DV - Outdoor Alarm Box

Options
  • 27-02-2012 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Friends,

Looking for some more assistance - got some great help from KoolKid last week with a manual for the alarm - much appreciated & have replaced the battery!
    Next problem - the outdoor bell is gone & the lights keep flashing - alarm works fine & makes plenty of noise in the house, however the outdoor alarm bell is not working
    I have been told that the ASTEC alarms are no longer made & that bell boxes are very scarce
    Any suggestions as to where I could go to source one?

Cheers,

Tinahely

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Your best bet is to ring every electrical wholesalers in your area and hope for the best. There are very little, if any Astec equipment anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭altor

If you cant get a Astec Bell box then adding a S22 to a global bell will allow you add a bell box to this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tinahely

Fred & Altor

Many thanks - great service !

Tinahely

Tinahely wrote: »
    Fred & Altor

Many thanks - great service !

Tinahely

Your welcome, any problems sourcing let us know ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

altor wrote: »
    If you cant get a Astec Bell box then adding a S22 to a global bell will allow you add a bell box to this system.

These are even harder to source.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    These are even harder to source.

Have 8 in stock myself, hopefully the new chip for the S22 will work, otherwise it will be an end to external bells on the Astec system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I don't believe that new chip is going top happen. :rolleyes:

They are giving it a go, hopefully it will work.

Going on previous form I don't believe HKC would be too concerned with the needs of customers with Astec systems.

This is something they are trying to fix. Replacing a 14 year old chip that can't be got with a new chip means designing a new board to make it work. They can hardly be blamed if the chip can not be got.

• Advertisement

But yet a little operation like Astec were able to manage it.:confused::confused::rolleyes:.
    Ill be very surprised if this unit returns.

That's with an older chip. HKC are working on the newer chip. Only time will tell if they can get it to work.

Keep the faith eh!?

I have no reason not too...

If you say so.
    Theres lots would disagree. HKC got their global sensor. Thats all they seem to be interested in.

All we can do is wait and see.

Don't wait too long.:D:D

Will find out soon enough if it is going to work ;)
    Lucky enough I still have some in stock :D

Got a few myself.
    As they say in B & Q . When the're gone the're gone.;)

They will be gone if the chip does not work. Hopefully will have a bit more info soon enough..

• Advertisement

IMO we are being nursed into it rather than just a blunt they are gone.
    I will be presently surprised & shocked if I'm wrong.
    They havn't worried about any other Astec product , why should this be any different?
    I often wondered when exactly the story changed from tsunamis & eartquakes to the chip not being made.:confused:

The chip has being the issue since day one.

The company that made it for Astec have stopped making it, Paul told me that himself. Now HKC have to develop a new board to work with a new chip. You are right, they dont have too, but at lease they are giving it a go. They are not just saying, ah hear, we will tell everyone we are trying to develop the new board to let us down easily. That is just nonsense. I am sure with all the Astec systems installed out there they will easily recoup any money invested and more.

I got the tsunami and earthquake story first.
    Anyway we could go on second guessing each other all night.
    There is no interest in the Astec systems in my opinion.
    The answer I always get is replace it with HKC.
    If there was interest in looking after Astec customers then the Fusion was the ideal panel to facilitate everyone with a phased transition .

Anyway time will tell. I really hope I am proved wrong, it would give me a chance to get up lots more lovely Delta bells. ..

It is not about proving anyone right or wrong. The chip is not available.
    If it was we would not be having this conversation.

Its about what you believe. We all know how strong your faith is when it comes to HKC.
    My belief is a company the size of HKC should have no problem developing something if it were needed. If it were an Astec problem Frank, Tony and Mark would have had it sorted. Do you really believe because of one chip there is no other way to interface a global SAB onto an astec system.? Any good R & D Dept would be up to this task. I believe HKC would be well capable of this if the device was really wanted.

My belief is Astec knew there where a few issues, hence the newer Fusion panel that could take a global sabb or the older two wire external bell.
    My belief is that HKC are making every effort to develop a new interface card.
    If it was just a mater of replacing the chip with a newer one again we would not be having this conversation but in reality with the newer chip the board needs to be redeveloped and that is what they are doing.

One question.Its a yes our no.
    Do you believe HKC had the ability to create a new interface if this chip doesn't work?

This is more a question for HKC than me.

Sure how would HKC be able to answer a question about what you believe.
    You going to answer this ?

• Advertisement

I don't know the workings of the interface to know if it can be done with another chip. That is why I would ask you to direct this question to HKC.
    My belief as I have said is that HKC are making every effort to develop a new interface card.

Advertisement