Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irreligious countries and ****.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

strobe wrote: »
    "
    ...and because I'm such a nice and thoughtful, not to mention classy and modest, guy - a full on hardcore scat video for your viewing pleasure.
    He's the Scatman. Try and deny it, I dare ye.
    I lived a life that was like death, I didn't know what they meant by the pleasure of life---
    Originally Posted by strobe
    "There is no God!
    The thing which you don't consider, is a veil of divine reality , it is the string of a rabab ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebab ) , from which musics of the mystery of divine reality emerge. But it's you who can't experience the pleasure of its rhythm and tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Mistress 69

liamw wrote: »
    Well now I ain't breaking the rules!!! ahhhh (btw it took me so many backspaces to make this readable)

looks like a fun place to post at 4am....:eek:

Will wait for the weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

It's just a fucking be wide, look alive, don't pass go, stay slippy coincidence that this album happens to happen to have a song with some vague quasi (<<great word) religious title in it's arsenal. But if you adopt that as a reason for not listening to it straight through from head to knee ('cause below the knee it's all pretty much utilitarian) then I will not be impressed.

Lyrics

I mean, think about it. How granite hard would you have to rock to call your band Sparklehorse?

Best album released in the last 16 years and 4 months my friends, soak it up. Fill your boots, El Capitan.

Lyrics

Consider yourself Strobed.

great stuff....:cool:

great stuff....:cool:

Ah, a newcomer enters. Welcome Mistress, please observe the sign indicating the danger inherent in the clocks and respect it's fundamental message. Those dangerous sharply pointed clocks...

For your listening pleasure, courtesy of the house,

(There is a whistling outro. Everyone loves a whistling outro.) << {That's a true if I ever did hear one.}

Also, if you are a consumer of televisual entertainment, perhaps you have happened across this little soul enriching number via the medium of advertisimal marketing.

Happy Winter everybody! << {People don't say that nearly half enough. Historically winter has always been a time of foreboding, that's understandable. But I say, learn to love the things you fear. The only true freedom is liberty from apprehension.}

May you all see the Spring in as unrelentingly a spirit of rebellion as you last left it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

That song is so full of win, I'm going have to go and watch every episode of TMNT I can find on the net.

I miss the 90's :(

Say a word for Jimmy Brown, kids, the guy had his shoes stolen... it appears. And apparently if you don't got shoes, you don't got nothin. You don't got nuthin at all.

Edited: 'Cause it needs no nothing extra.'

Couple of real good tracks there, might even search for the cds on i tunes.... absolutely knackered as very very very... late last night, .....:eek:

So, Judeo Christianity you say? Sounds interesting. Could you possibly give me an idea of what it's all about?

Well, if you insist...

Can you feel the love, brother?

... No?

Get the soap boys, this guy is trying to be an individual!

**** you youtube! Leave well enough alone. Why hassle your own dealy?

Don't hassle your own dealy kids, it's never worth it.

Just leads to a hassled dealy, so I'm told.

(No delete.)

Delete everything.

'Cause you've had it all.

Who has had it all, and what did they have? That's the ****ing question, near as I can figure...

I reckon all these shams that are into enlightenment have it arseways, so I do. Where they go wrong is thinking that the path leads to a goal. That's where they trip themselves up. It's kinda sad. The path is the goal. The path is all that there is. But that's not a bad revelation unless you try to make it bad. Learn to enjoy the path, or get run over by a big truck while you insist on walking on the road.

• Advertisement

C'mon, c'mon, c'mon.

Also, you can be as weird as a weirdo can be, a totally mental lunatic, you can be, but if you have talent... Oh, then that is all you should be acknowledged for...

"What did you expect? I called myself 'Prince'.
    Now watch me be inhuman!" (3:30)

Number of fucks given... Zero. (6:12)

This is my outro to you Hitch...

Let it roll...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Heard this phenomenal song last night:

It's just got that soul you search and search for...

*Just want to point out that seeing Funkadelic live the first time like 2/3 years
    ago was a life-changing experience, and that I really appreciate the maggot
    brain link at this actual particular moment as opposed to other particular
    actual (left-right right-left) moments :cool:

Figure that flashli

ght shit out before the silent boa

tman gets you...*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

some good tunes on this thread.

but lets remember one thing...

any country that suppressed religious or political freedom

suppressed both.

im thinking hedge schools and empiricism...to name but one example we might be familiar with.

i bet you guys can think of others...even in todays world.

lets be careful what we wish for.

p.s. barry mcguire...great tune. new to the kids here i bet.

enjoy kids...and pop pickers.

We are all set, kids, 'cause ye know...

Happy Christmas.

Poor little baby Jesus, he was a legend and he didn't even know it yet, probably just wanted nothing more than to fit kitchens cabinets when he grew up like his Da, and would have been happy out about it. RIP.

You see, this is the thing. This is the thing I've been totally talking about all this time.

Ok, so I totally forgot about the thing that was the thing I was totally talking about when I totally started posting that first sentence.

Here is some very early Gun N Roses. Why, you may be tempted to ask? Fuck you! That's why.

Also read my signature... Ye know, sometimes people don't have signatures turned on? Why would you do that? The sigs are the best things usually. Like there is this guy and his signature is all a load of maths, I hate all a load of maths. But I read his sig, then I found out about some of the maths, now I don't hate all a load of maths so more any more. Read the sigs. Also Christmas and news years and shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

You see, this is the thing. This is the thing I've been totally talking about all this time.

Ok, so I totally forgot about the thing that was the thing I was totally talking about when I totally started posting that first sentence.

Here is some very early Gun N Roses. Why, you may be tempted to ask? Fuck you! That's why.

Also read my signature... Ye know, sometimes people don't have signatures turned on? Why would you do that? The sigs are the best things usually. Like there is this guy and his signature is all a load of maths, I hate all a load of maths. But I read his sig, then I found out about some of the maths, now I don't hate all a load of maths so more any more. Read the sigs. Also Christmas and news years and shit.

Exactly, my sig is ****ing hilarious, and very current. Just in case anyone thought I was full of ****.

I prefer Skid Row to GnR meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I think that's actually quite lovely. People might knock Christian music, but when they stick to what they're good at (solemn **** and the like) they can come up with some serious compositions. Stop trying to be something you're not - Christian rock is direly uncool, Gregorian chant is awesome.

I've never quite understood this thread, but it seems to be something of an OT area mainly centered around late-night/early early-morning drunken musings and choons that might appeal to drunken readers perusing its content. I very rarely get drunk my own but when I do it always surprises me - very introspective buzz that's completely at odds with my experiences of imbibing the liquor with my mates.

Oh aye, I think I'm supposed to post a song. I've picked his one because I think it's very lovely and it will send me off to a peaceful sleep that can continue till whatever-the-****-I-want o' clock in the afternoon without me feeling guilty.* I ****ing love Christmas holidays.

*It is also something of a major Youtube anomaly as every single related comment I've read is a positive outpouring of praise towards the track. By this stage, it should be be an all-out vitriolic Atheism vs. Theism debate, whether the video content be a classic boxing match from the 80's or some clip of a cat that makes funny faces.

Clean This Mess Up.. Else We will all end up in Jail.... !

I'm probably violating all kinds of international treaties here (not to mention spoiling one of my NY resolutions) but as they say in East Sepik Province 'I'll treaty you!'.

• Advertisement

I[SIZE=-1]S[/SIZE] there any knowledge in the world which is so certain that no
    reasonable man could doubt it? This question, which at first sight might
    not seem difficult, is really one of the most difficult that can be asked.
    When we have realized the obstacles in the way of a straightforward
    and confident answer, we shall be well launched on the study of
    philosophy -- for philosophy is merely the attempt to answer such
    ultimate questions, not carelessly and dogmatically, as we do in ordinary
    life and even in the sciences, but critically after exploring all that makes
    such questions puzzling, and after realizing all the vagueness and
    confusion that underlie our ordinary ideas.

In daily life, we assume as certain many things which, on a closer
    scrutiny, are found to be so full of apparent contradictions that
    only a great amount of thought enables us to know what it is that
    we really may believe. In the search for certainty, it is natural to
    begin with our present experiences, and in some sense, no doubt,
    knowledge is to be derived from them. But any statement as to
    what it is that our immediate experiences make us know is very
    likely to be wrong. It seems to me that I am now sitting in a chair,
    at a table of a certain shape, on which I see sheets of paper with
    writing or print. By turning my head I see out of the window
    buildings and clouds and the sun. I believe that the sun is about
    ninety-three million miles from the earth; that it is a hot globe
    many times bigger than the earth; that, owing to the earth's
    rotation, it rises every morning, and will continue to do so for
    an indefinite time in the future. I believe that, if any other normal
    person comes into my room, he will see the same chairs and
    tables and books and papers as I see, and that the table which
    I see is the same as the table which I feel pressing against my
    arm. All this seems to be so evident as to be hardly worth stating,
    except in answer to a man who doubts whether I know anything.
    Yet all this may be reasonably doubted, and all of it requires much
    careful discussion before we can be sure that we have stated it in
    a form that is wholly true.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0121/breaking14.html

could be a smart arse and say its a gas.... I dont think so, our GrandChildren may not find it so Funny!

What's up with the gas our grandchildren will be inhaling someday? :cool:
    It's best to divulge such thoughts to a glass(es) of brandy/insanity_juice
    mixed with a song playing:

to:

though a bit of Greek city air on a starry night might help:

Also, while elaborating you must never forget that advice you need if you
    want to be happy for the rest of your life:

Words, thoughts & twinkling lights to live by...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I live in the Czech Republic and I don't believe it's as irreligious as it's made out to be. However, the big difference is that religion comes across as a personal choice and a very personal thing.

There isn't an automatic assumption that all people are religious here, as I feel there is back home, but more of a case that those who are religious assert their religious identity while the assumed default setting for most people is that they have no religion.

Also, religion has very little influence in societal matters, thankfully.

Gentlemen... Ladies... a moment please for our fallen comrade.

AhSureTisGrand

Some people remember him as the guy that had all the great posts about that stuff. But for me he will always be the stone cold legend who's name appeared first in little blue writing underneath my odder posts. Occasionally leading to a late in the game flurry of bandwagon thankses. Where ever he is now, I know he is still coming first in lists due to his cunning use of the letter 'A'. And you know what, my friends? 'Tis grand, 'tis.

This is for you man.

(Sorry... I got something in my eye...)

1317399042_va-hed-kandi-disco-heaven-2011.jpg

Saturday Nights are wow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

our fallen comrade.
    ?? Did I miss some news?

robindch wrote: »
    ?? Did I miss some news?

No... no. He closed his account, is all. I'm slightly less flippant (well, sometimes) when someone actually dies or shit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

We'll miss you AhSureTisGrand!

• Advertisement

I think it's better I just express the fact that I've deleted something
    ridiculous than, like last week, just not posting anything at all after
    writing something else utterly ridiculous...

Man I want to write an essay right now...

edit: also, f'cking amazed I noticed AhSureTisGrand's departure
    from randomly reading a really old thread only to find others
    posting about the loss of said comrade later that night, props...

Advertisement