Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arachnophobia!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Originally posted by Alis

If you don't like spiders check out this fact:

*An average of 8 spiders die inside your ear in your lifetime*

I think that is true. I don't have a source right now but I got it of a BBC documentary some years back.

I sleep with my personal stereo on so they won't get in my ears.
    Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    also as far as I remember you actually swallow something like 6 spiders in your life, while you sleep of course!!!

Ok This one has obviously done a bit of mutating. The Original "fact" was that On Average a person will eat 8 spiders in his/her sleep during their life time. This seems to have changed to Crawl into your ear and the number of spiders is constantly changing too.

Good auld Cecil takes this one from a logical standpoint in his debunking:
    http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mspidereat.html

Whilst Snopes points out that this was a rumour made up to show some of the things people will believe on the internet:
    http://www.snopes.com/spoons/fracture/spiders.htm

Someone was asking about the real name of the Daddy long Legs. Its a Crane (not cream) Fly. Also because I know this one will be dragged out at some stage it is NOT the most poisonous insect in the world.
    http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/longlegs.htm

Hopefully this shall put yis all at rest.
    Theres enough horrors in the world without making up new ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

What a crowd of great big babies. Spidies are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Oh yeah? What are you scared of? Watch it or I'll get that scary guy with no phone to freak you out.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Fand
    What a crowd of great big babies. Spidies are lovely.

Topic = Arachnaphobia!

It's a phobia... which is a real fear! If you were scared ****less of heights, and I said "what's wrong with heights? I love climbing mountains/jumping off high walls/standing on top of high things" would it be funny, than if I dragged you up on something very high, so you got some vertigo, possibly vomit and shít like that!!?

I know you may be havin a laugh, I've got a genuine fear of spiders, and I believe I have arachnaphobia. A very good friend of mine, placed a massive spider (dead) in my room on a sheet of paper on my bed one night... I went into my room and didn't notice it for a while, I was about to hop in when I spotted this!!! I lost the rag! Takin the píss out of someone's fears isn't funny. If you're jokin...fine....still not funny. Just wanted to make that point though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Takin the píss out of someone's fears isn't funny. If you're jokin...fine....still not funny.

Too right, a phobia is a phobia and it's not good to make fun of people for it.

Saw a really good program about phobias recently. Proved that with the right treatment almost everyone can get over their phobias. Doesn't always matter, you can often avoid the thing you're scared of, but sometimes they really ruin a persons life.

K

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Kix

Too right, a phobia is a phobia and it's not good to make fun of people for it.

Saw a really good program about phobias recently. Proved that with the right treatment almost everyone can get over their phobias. Doesn't always matter, you can often avoid the thing you're scared of, but sometimes they really ruin a persons life.

K

As far as I've heard the best way to get rid of a phobia is to confront it!! No way!!

Let's say for example though... I want to go and visit my brother in Australia next year. I know loads of people who've been and I know people still there. There's these spiders called boatmans or something... they're harmless, but fookin massive!!! My bro lived on the beach (bondai) and sometimes when they'd come in at night these boatmans would just be on the wall... huge things. They're there to get rid of insects (as all spiders are) but he'd have to remove them, as his wife can't stand spiders and she's from Aus.... I don't think I'd be able to handle that, and my girlfriend wouldn't either!! So there's something I've gotta consider.

There's supposed to be another really common (harmless) spider around Sydnet... can't remember the name! Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

do NOT read this post if yer sqeemish :)

A vicious little bug that lives in the middle eastern deserts.
    Also called the Sunspider, solpugid, wind scorpion, and a host of other terrible, terrible names that do not come close to describing the pure, unadulterated evil that makes up this hell spawned beast.

The Camel Spider is the size of a dinner plate, it can run upwards of 30 miles an hour, jump several feet into the air, and shriek. Literally scream. That's not the worst part, either. The worst part comes when they catch you. (And they will catch you.)

It will jump on you and run up your back until it finds exposed flesh. If you're not wearing long pants, it'll go for your legs; otherwise it may have to go all the way up to your face. Its mouth opens four ways to become 4 very sharp fangs. It will dig into your face and rip the flesh clean off of your skull. Don't worry, its saliva will numb the wound almost instantaneously... by destroying the nerve endings. The saliva also inhibits healing- when your face grows back it'll be hideously scarred.

They're called Camel Spiders because one can kill a full grown camel if given the chance.

They look absolutely terrifying, too- in addition to the standard eight legs they've got a pair of pedipalpi (like antenna, sort of) which they hold in front of their bodies as they run. On the ends of these are a pair of suckers which they use to hold loose flesh up in order to eat it more easily.

Sweet dreams :D
    And thank god we're irish :D:D

Originally posted by Pugsley
    do NOT read this post if yer sqeemish :)

A vicious little bug that lives in the middle eastern deserts.
    Also called the Sunspider, solpugid, wind scorpion, and a host of other terrible, terrible names that do not come close to describing the pure, unadulterated evil that makes up this hell spawned beast.

Wow what is it with spiders and misinformation?

The Camel Spider whilst bloody fast doesnt attack humans unless seriously provoked. They wont hunt one down the way its described in Pugsleys post. They purposely avoid humans and live in very remote desert areas. They CAN grow to 6 inches in length which is significantly smaller than a dinner plate. They are also not poisonous so I dont know where all this Nerve Numbing venom talk comes from. Your only danger from a bite is infection or shock (the bite can be nasty but if treated its not going to leave you disfigured for life).

They have 8 legs but use the first first pair of legs or pedipalpi are held up in front of them and are used like insects use Antennae. I cant find anything to suggest they use them to hold flesh as they eat it.

Sources:
    http://library.thinkquest.org/28855/camelspider.html?tqskip=1
    http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/expert/Camel_Spiders.html
    http://www.uaeinteract.com/uaeint_main/nature/insect/ins09.html

Its this sort of misinformation about spiders that adds to the phobias surrounding them.

Sure they are quite unearthly looking creatures and there are certainly some poisonous spiders (Black widow and the brown recluse) but your much more likely to encounter a much greater number of deadly humans than deadly spiders in your lifetime. That is unless you live in an area with a particularly high population of poisonous spiders in which case your local government should have leaflets and courses on how to identify the dangerous ones from the good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Im gonna comment on yer post toast (terrable rhyme :))
    The 1st 1 saiz that they spend most of their time in their burrows and only come out to feed.
    The 2nd 1 saiz f00k all useful.
    The 3rd 1 saiz that they are constantly moving.....
    1st + 3rd seem to contradict each other :p
    And also that was posted from a diffrent soarce and exagurrated in other 2 scare the living hell out of people(as is most of this thread) about how bad spiders can be.

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Im gonna comment on yer post toast (terrable rhyme :))
    The 1st 1 saiz that they spend most of their time in their burrows and only come out to feed.
    The 2nd 1 saiz f00k all useful.
    The 3rd 1 saiz that they are constantly moving.....
    1st + 3rd seem to contradict each other :p
    And also that was posted from a diffrent soarce and exagurrated in other 2 scare the living hell out of people(as is most of this thread) about how bad spiders can be.

Hmm I dont really understand why you are attacking my sources when you then admit you exagerated your story. Do a google search for camel spider if you think Im wrong about what I said.
    Im sure Im not the only one to think its bad form to be purposely spreading misinformation on a board where a lot of peoples fears seem to stem from misinformation such as this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

ur not an easy man to please toast

I don't give a fook whether the little gits are poisonous or not!! It's the way they move, the way they look, especially the hairy ones, and the size of them.

So if a six inch spider was spotted in my vicinity, I believe I would go insane. Really... I would. 6 inches!!? That's rediculous, there's no need for it to get that big. Shít.... 2 inches would have me screaming like a baby! :) I'm serious.... that's gotta be arachnaphobia.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<flame proof pants on>

I have little or no time for hysterical people in the middle of a spa attack because of a stupid phobia. This includes Spiders, Mice, Needles and Declan Nerney (although I have to admit, I sometimes shudder when I hear his voice).

In Ireland, 999999 times out of 1000000 A spider CANNOT hurt you (I made those figures up) so why are you so afraid of it? They're an intresting looking creature and they've always been portrayed as an evil symbol. I reckon this is why a lot of people are afraid of them, because they think they should be. Similarly with mice and an ax of mine is the worst for this - she screams if there's one on the telly. She can't even say the word mouse (it's the "pointer" on the computer). She once scrapped all the skin off her feet because she saw a mouse and thought it had walked where she walked - I am not making this up! It's the stuff of lunacy! She won't get any help for it (Chthon knows I tried to get her to try and do something about it), so now I just take the pi$$ until such a time as she might. *sigh* It's not been successful so far...

I'm sorry folks, but reactions like this makes me want to smack you repeatedly (but I never would - promise). It's OTT and hysterics aren't going to help anyone.

This may be very intollerant of me, but I'm not sorry for it because I don't have such a phobia and I can't relate. So try see it from my (and others like me) side and COP ON! :) (note smiley)

<flame proof pants off>

Fears of heights and flying (and similar fears) - I can understand and would never get angry with someone over that. It's a genuine, life threatening notion. I'm not usually too sure of myself when up high on something (fun-fairs spring to mind), but I can get over it and all's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I live in a house with two girls (one of which is my girlfriend) and one guy and they are all scared of spiders. :(
    How I’m not a big fan of spiders myself and over the last couple of weeks spiders about 2.5 to 3 inches from tip of leg to tip of leg have been coming into the house scaring the **** out of my housemates.
    I came home the other night and Paula (my girlfriend) was standing balling her eyes out and trembling like crazy in the kitchen.:eek:
    She had been sat on the stairs talking on the phone when one of these large spiders ran over her hand. She told me that she had ran into the kitchen and grabbed the potato masher to kill it because she didn’t want it to get into our bedroom because it might “get her” if it got away.
    I have never seen anyone as scared as she looked.
    When my housemate (the guy) heard about this he filled every hole around the house spraying foam into the cracks he taught spiders might get in. :rolleyes:
    I have to run all over the house now killing spiders (I don’t like touching spiders as I don’t like getting spider blood on my fingers so I use toilet tissue to squash them). Every night my girlfriend keeps turning on the light to “spider check” as she calls it and this is really pissing me off though I say nothing as I know how scared of them she is.:mad:
    She is studying psychology and is thinking about getting one of the students in a higher year to hypnotise her to try and get rid of this fear. I hope it works! :confused:

Lads... a phobia is aphobia, you can't be angry with someone for being scared of something. It's ignorant. I dont understand people who are afraid of heights, because I love heights, but I also won't laught at them if they have to attempt to climb or get up somewhere high... it's not a nice attitude and someone who would do that is not a nice person. My fear is spiders, otehrs are just insect in general, others have fears of choking, water (drowning), dying, being in open spaces, being in confined spaces.... you just can't get annoyed with people because there scared. It's as though you're some bravado, who fears no thing on earth... believe me there is something on earth everyone is afraid of... it's not a funny thing, to laugh or lose you patience at others, when you could be afraid and need someone's help too!! :( Completely insensitive.

[edit] Sorry about the spelling...am in a rush :)

It's certainly not some sort of show of Bravado or anthing mate, it's common sense.

If someone in hysterics is screaming and crying and wrecking your FUCKING HEAD (ahem *calm place Dav*), then surely you can see the point of the "non-believers."

As I said, hysterics will get you no where and will result in a Fridge or Washing Machine being thrown at you (and I mean that!).

It's not that I'm a callous bastid, but I have Zero Tolerance (heh - Quake joke) for (what I consider to be) stupidity of this nature. Before you loose the head, let me explain that last statement...

Reactions to something that makes you scarred is natural. There is nothing you can do (really) to stop yourself reacting. It's the same as hearing a funny joke (you can't help laughing) or feeling horrified at events such as those in New York a short time ago.

What you CAN do is learn to control the reaction itself. You can learn to have a little "jump" of fright, but then you can stop reacting - the reaction is over and done and we've all moved on (and the spider's buggered off to eat a fly).

I'm not trying to make light of your phobia(s) folks, because as you said yourself, there's no way to *NOT* react to it, but keep in mind that you don't need to react in the way that causes annoyance to other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

Originally posted by Alis
    I must admit I do not like those eight legged creatures :eek:

I'm not saying I have a phobia of them but give me a mouse instead any day!

Both my brothers 'like' spiders and one of them is usually around, thankfully :) They pick them up with their bare hands :eek:

They got it from their father. He 'loves' spiders. He used to threaten to throw them at me when I was little :eek: Actually maybe he just used to like tormenting me :mad: Once he eat a huge spider in front of me, just to disgust me. I'm actually not joking here :eek:

If you don't like spiders check out this fact:

*An average of 8 spiders die inside your ear in your lifetime*

I think that is true. I don't have a source right now but I got it of a BBC documentary some years back.

I sleep with my personal stereo on so they won't get in my ears.

The best tip I can give you is masking tape. It is those little holes between things they get in. Masking tape them up!!!

I shall watch this thread attentively for more tips, so if you have a good one, please share it :)
    I hate 2 disgust u,but u eat an average of 7 spiders while sleeping in ur entire life.UGGGHH!!.And i wudn't suggest gettin 1 of dose alarm tingies.Apparently it kills them,so u have 2 pick up their bodies.I think they hate pepper try dat.And it is the moisture dat draws them 2 da bathroom.

Originally posted by Kharn

What you CAN do is learn to control the reaction itself. You can learn to have a little "jump" of fright, but then you can stop reacting - the reaction is over and done and we've all moved on (and the spider's buggered off to eat a fly).

I'm not trying to make light of your phobia(s) folks, because as you said yourself, there's no way to *NOT* react to it, but keep in mind that you don't need to react in the way that causes annoyance to other. [/B]

Sorry... but that's bullshít! I'm not being aggressive, but you can't control a fear that easily. I admit when I spot a spider I freak a bit, but when it's gone, I'm cool. I will hunt it down and kill it, if it's in my gaff. Otherwise that's the end of it. I'll feel itchy and stuff for a few minutes but that's it. I don't go absolutely nuts. Now, I have seen people go crazy becaus of a little house spider. Whi can be annoying yeah, but I don't believe they can help their reaction.

I think I know what you're getting at. It's probably when someone seems to be over reacting, and you might think they're faking or some shít. I certainly have seen this happen and it písses me off. What can you do?

Otherwise, a reaction is a genuine reaction that you can't help. If I was to box one person in the face, it might make them scream like a loon... if I boxed another they might just take it without a sound..... it's like a reflex reaction... you can't control them too easily. It's not funny to rip the píss out of a phobia, so i wouldn't get annoyed with someone because they're standing on top og a building a blithering mess, even though I know they're afraid of heights. I'd help them. Maybe I just have more patience than you!?

Maybe I just have more patience than you!?

Most definitly mate ;)

I think we're kinda on the same wave length. Some people (and I'm keeping my ex-girlfriend in mind) build up a fear so much that they're afraid of the fear itself (does that make sense?) and they've blown it up (or let it get blown up) into daft proportions. I know a lot of her reactions were totally OTT because she's been too daft to get anything done about a genuine phobia and she's let it get bigger than it is and take control of her life.
    eg:
    She will NOT go places if she heard there was a mouse there once and I refer to my point about not even being able to watch telly with a mouse on-screen - she wanted to go see The Green Mile, but couldn't cause there was a pet mouse or something (I haven't seen the flick myself yet).

This kind of down-right stupidity (of not having gotten something done about it) makes me mad and I think you'll agree with me on this one. The way I see it is if you've got a broken arm, you go to a hospital to get it fixed. If you've got something wrong with your mind that makes you mortally afraid of something, you at least owe it to yourself to examine the possibilities of "fixing" the problem. I'm not suggesting that there's a quick fix available for phobias because little and all as I know about the human psyche, I know it can't be sorted in that way (although a claw hammer and some electrodes might help :D).

Anyway, aracnphobics - don't get me wrong, I don't hate you. I just hate OTT reactions. ;)

Aye...as I said in a previous post, the most common method I've heard of getting rid of any phobia is to confront it, and I've done this insmall ways... seeing as my girlfriend hates spiders as well... I'd usually have to get rid of them. This I wouldn't have donw years ago... but can do now, as I've gotten over it a bit.

If I was in Australia though and a big hairy dirty git appeared, I imagine I'd have a similar reaction to your girlfriend with the mouse :D They say to cure arachnophobia fully, they have a tarantula or some other such nasty arachnid crawl over you!! Now I ain't gonna do that in the near future... but ye never know.

• Advertisement

Now that's something I'd rather not have to do is have a tarantula walking over me - I could probably handle having him in my hands, but I'm still in control, so it's OK. ;)

Like you said yourself (and let Do Loon be a shining beacon of how to overcome phobias), you're gradually getting to a stage where you have a little reaction and then go kick that mo-fo's ass!

plyd! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mcderd

something to put your mind at rest!

on average, two spiders crwal into your mouth each year whilke you are asleep!

now for you
    i bet you feel alot better!:)

Originally posted by SHAMAN
    I hate 2 disgust u,but u eat an average of 7 spiders while sleeping in ur entire life.UGGGHH!!
    Originally posted by mcderd
    something to put your mind at rest!
    on average, two spiders crwal into your mouth each year whilke you are asleep!
    now for you
    i bet you feel alot better!:)

Are people posting this to piss me off or what?
    Ive already debunked this on this thread. ITS NOT BLOODY TRUE.
    Like 4 people have posted it at this stage and each time its slightly different. Surely thats enough to prove something is going on here. Just to clarify SPIDERS DO NOT CRAWL INTO YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU SLEEP.
    Quoting Snopes:

"This "statistic" was not only made up out of whole cloth, it was invented as an example of the absurd things people will believe simply because they come across them on the Internet"

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mspidereat.html
    http://www.snopes.com/spoons/fracture/spiders.htm

Sleep tightly people its all lies.

Advertisement