Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Receding Gums

Options
  • 27-11-2019 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I seem to have receding gums on all of my teeth, which I only really noticed after I started Invisalign two months ago and am staring more at my teeth.

My issue is, my dentist doesn’t seem overly concerned by it. He takes an xray and in the last one said I have bone loss around one tooth and to come back in a year.
    About 6 months ago the hygienist said my periodontal disease was active, and I had some pockets between my gums measuring 0.7mm. The current hygienist there, who’s also a dentist, said two months ago that the pockets have reduced to 0.3mm and so were in the mild stages.
    I’m concerned that on every tooth the gum seems to have pulled back a bit. One or two are showing the dentine. The hygienist/dentist said I would be fine to have Invisalign, but will this make them worse?
    I’ve always been a regular visitor to the dentist. My oral hygiene was not great until a few months ago, I brushed but rarely flossed and am also a smoker.
    I notice around the few teeth where the recession is higher, the gum is quite loose even though I floss every day now and use the Kin Gingival.
    Will this gum reattach? Is recession a guarantee that I will lose every tooth?
    I’ve never even had so much as a filling before.
    Once recession starts, can it be stopped or does it just get worse?

Thanks to anyone who has gotten this far!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

There’s Link between gum health and cancer and Alzheimer’s.

Go see a new dentist. Won’t do any harm. Taking your current ones might.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 80sChild

Get to a periodontist. Excellent one in Millennium Park Naas. Smoking is frying your gums for a start. Tooth loss not inevitable but act fast. Mouthwash waste of time if disease is under gums and in the bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

By the sounds of it am in somewhat a similar situation to yourself and just to give you an insight to my experience, I have learnt the faith of my dental situation (periodontal disease) few years back now when a bad toothache got me going to the dentist again and subsequently a periodontist for treatment (deep cleaning of the gums), as a non smoker it was somewhat strange of how bad my dental health was as I would have looked after my teeth in the form of brushing everyday however my dentist is of the belief I may have inherited the problem, so where am at now well I have a upper front partial denture which I never wanted but was inevitable and one day I hope to get the real job done.
    My advice to you is if you feel worried do not hesitate in seeing a periodontist right away am surprised your dentist hasn’t referred you giving your concern, periodontal disease should not be taken lightly as it cannot be reversed once it gets hold but can be arrested.
    Hope this helps any more questions feel free.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There’s Link between gum health and cancer and Alzheimer’s.

Go see a new dentist. Won’t do any harm. Taking your current ones might.

What is the link between gum health and Alzheimer’s? Would you not be more concerned about the link between smoking and cancer in the ops case?

Op, gum recession can be multi factorial, but smoking can certainly effect the health of your gums and cause recession. So can plaque accumulation, gum disease (active and previous), over vigorous brushing, and of course, positions of teeth in jaw bone/alignment. If your teeth are out of alignment, the teeth which are in front of the ones beside it will be more forward on the jaw bone and have less bone/gum coverage on that surface.

Talk with your dentist/orthodontist about it, but if you smoke, it is the most likely cause of bone loss and gum recession.

Advertisement