Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would EUR600 get me as regards a Gaming PC

Options
  • 25-11-2019 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have a budget of EUR600 for a Gaming PC for one of the kids (appreciate it's not going to get too much).

Can anyone suggest what's the best PC I can get for that? Want something pre-build as opposed to building my own.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Head over to the PC building board where you will get plenty of help and even a build.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

built one myself last year for around the same price give or take 50quid or so,

worked out grand, plays the likes of world of warcraft and fortnite and all that easily enough. Ended up selling it on and building another for the craic :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

built one myself last year for around the same price give or take 50quid or so,

worked out grand, plays the likes of world of warcraft and fortnite and all that easily enough. Ended up selling it on and building another for the craic :D

What! You sold a PC just so you could build another?

I'm dreading having to move and maybe selling mine in the process. Don't think I could handle the stress of another build. Frankly, that mine even works is a miracle.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yeah, i was using a higher spec machine at the time, built that one from scratch with some help from the pc building and upgrading forum.
    I had intended on giving it to my missus's kids but it didnt work out that way, ended up selling it on for slightly above cost. I think i made like 50quid on it..
    Anyway, about 3 months later my motherboard in the higher spec machine had an intermittent fault with it, managed to keep it working til i built the new one with parts from the old one.. and here i am, slightly lower spec overall but at least it's working :D

Waiting on parts was the hardest bit.

Wasnt really for the craic, though i did enjoy building it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What! You sold a PC just so you could build another?

I'm dreading having to move and maybe selling mine in the process. Don't think I could handle the stress of another build. Frankly, that mine even works is a miracle.

I've always liked building and fixing PCs. I could spend hours doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I found it stressful though the feeling of having it boot successfully the first time is unmatched!

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

I found it stressful though the feeling of having it boot successfully the first time is unmatched!

15+ years ago it was nail biting, parts didn't click in like lego these days

beauf wrote: »
    I've always liked building and fixing PCs. I could spend hours doing it.
    KilOit wrote: »

Yeah, I mean if I can do it and all that. I just can't see myself ever "doing it for the craic" or anything like that. That said, I very much appreciate my machine and how everything on it is there because I got to decide instead of Dell or whomever.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

KilOit wrote: »

To be honest they did. I built my first PC in 1998 or so and there's very little fundemental difference to the PC's of today apart from them being more advanced feature-wise and less cabling being required due to onboard m2's, modular psu's and all that stuff.

But building a PC 20 years ago fundementally was the same, components were installed and functioned the same as they do today. A motherboard from 1998 looks similar to one from 2019, apart from the different standards (pci-e instead of agp, ide connectors instead of sata, etc). But board layouts, ram banks, positioning of ports, socket builds, atx standard, etc are basically very similar.

Installing windows was more painful, but the actual physical part of building a pc hasn't changed at all in the past 20+ years. You would have to go back a bit bit further then that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, the assembly isn't really too much of a challenge (but getting neat wiring can be a PITA). Once you've got the right parts, you're all set. the gang on the PC Building and Upgrading forum are so good at helping with such things too. I have the parts to build 2 PC's here beside me, just waiting on some case fans to start it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Homelander wrote: »
    T... but the actual physical part of building a pc hasn't changed at all in the past 20+ years. You would have to go back a bit bit further then that.

A desktop PC hasn't really changed since the Apple II and IBM PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Cordell

Come on, building your PC is part of the PC gaming experience, just like a Jedi building its own lightsaber :)

Cordell wrote: »
    Come on, building your PC is part of the PC gaming experience, just like a Jedi building its own lightsaber :)

But something might go wrong...

H. H. Asquith

I suspect you'd have to try very hard to get it wrong given the limited opportunities to plug things in the wrong slot or the likes. There are probably tens of thousands of hours of videos on YouTube that'll give you a step by step guide on everything these days. PC Assembly is a barely above minimum wage job, it's unskilled factory work labour and it's only gotten easier over the years :)

Things can definitely go wrong, the experience of knowing how to test and isolate the source of the problem is a slightly different matter and often times it's about having a spare of most components to test things with - that's definitely a challenge if you're on a tight budget.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I suspect you'd have to try very hard to get it wrong given the limited opportunities to plug things in the wrong slot or the likes. There are probably tens of thousands of hours of videos on YouTube that'll give you a step by step guide on everything these days. PC Assembly is a barely above minimum wage job, it's unskilled factory work labour and it's only gotten easier over the years :)

Things can definitely go wrong, the experience of knowing how to test and isolate the source of the problem is a slightly different matter and often times it's about having a spare of most components to test things with - that's definitely a challenge if you're on a tight budget.

You're absolutely right. I'm just bricking another build. Only issue I've had since is where the screen goes black randomly and that's gone now AFAIK.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Shiminay wrote: »

Ha! Couldn't get more than one of my PSU screws to align with the holes in the cases. Spent ages at it. Checked multiple videos. Made sure PSU had fan facing upward as per all the guides. Was cursing weird case manufacturer and stupid misaligned screws.

Was only after I'd left it for an hour that I asked myself why I'd want to be blowing hot air further into the case. Had failed to take account that the only 'weird' thing about the case was that the PSU went on the bottom, so I had it in upside down.

Believe me, idiots will always find a way! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Cordell

You're absolutely right. I'm just bricking another build. Only issue I've had since is where the screen goes black randomly and that's gone now AFAIK.

I hope you're not bricking anything.:cool:

I'd done that exact same thing myself MOH :D

Advertisement