Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jaw surgery

• 21-11-2011 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

So I visited an orthodontist, recommended via boards, so he's not dodgy as he's on that ortho list.

I was prepared for braces but he said I'll require jaw surgery and braces and that he wouldn't put braces on without jaw surgery. I have a deep bite an a crooked bite. I don't have any functional problems, it's really just aesthetics. My smile in photos is defo crooked, my top teeth are quite straight but I have a receding lower jaw.

Anyways just looking for opinions or experiences of this kind of surgery?

I have an appt with another ortho soon, just to make sure he doesn't say anythin different altho I don't expect he will...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Surgery:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

So I visited an orthodontist, recommended via boards, so he's not dodgy as he's on that ortho list.

I was prepared for braces but he said I'll require jaw surgery and braces and that he wouldn't put braces on without jaw surgery. I have a deep bite an a crooked bite. I don't have any functional problems, it's really just aesthetics. My smile in photos is defo crooked, my top teeth are quite straight but I have a receding lower jaw.

Anyways just looking for opinions or experiences of this kind of surgery?

I have an appt with another ortho soon, just to make sure he doesn't say anythin different altho I don't expect he will...

What surgery was proposed? Upper jaw, lower jaw or both? Does the lower jaw require advancement??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

What surgery was proposed? Upper jaw, lower jaw or both? Does the lower jaw require advancement??

Just lower as far as I remember, no idea about advancement. Tbh I was so taken aback that I'd require surgery that I didn't ask a huge amount of questions. I pretty much thought, I won't b getting this done, I'm not that bad buuutttt..... Now I'm thinkin, braces will b hell either way, what diffs a bit of surgery in-between gonna make!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Night_Prowler

Hi Pokeherking,

I had upper and lower done back in 2004 because I had a big overbite and its the best thing I ever did :) PM me if you have any questions - id love to give any advice I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Just lower as far as I remember, no idea about advancement. Tbh I was so taken aback that I'd require surgery that I didn't ask a huge amount of questions. I pretty much thought, I won't b getting this done, I'm not that bad buuutttt..... Now I'm thinkin, braces will b hell either way, what diffs a bit of surgery in-between gonna make!

Mmm, you should ask what exactly is being proposed. The terms to listen out for are "Le fort 1 osteotomy" where the upper jaw is cut, fractured and plated and a "bi-lateral sagittal split osteotomy" where the lower jaw is cut, fractured and plated.
    For both upper and lower surgeries, the jaw/bones/teeth can be moved forward/back/up/down/rotated....

Depending on the case severity and the opinion of the orthodontist or surgeon, you may need both jaws moved as moving just one jaw will leave a poor alignment that is too much for the braces to compensate for.....

I don't do this surgery but have been involved in the care of lots of patients from a pre-op, surgery and post-op point of view. Close planning between the orthodontist and surgeon is essential. A preliminary phase of ortho is needed first, then surgery which involves 2-3 days in hospital depending on the surgeon, then a 6 week post-op phase which in some cases you may have your jaws wired together although these days this is less likely... You will be a little sore, swollen, bruised etc. You will be on liquid/ mash food for 4-6 weeks. There is the small chance of altered sensation to the lip, chin and tongue in this surgery too...

Don't let all these bad things put you off (you'll need to hear them at some point). You'll forget those few weeks when your teeth are sorted for good....

OS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ManUtd1986

Hi,
    I currently am due to get braces within the next month.

My orthodontist told me today that to achieve a 100% result I would need to get jaw surgery. Wasnt expecting to be told this and he informed me the cost would be between 10-20k ?

Wondering is this reasonable and has anybody else experienced similar procedures and what was results.

The thoughts of surgery both in terms of risk and cost are negative and thus looking for some feedback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Meredith Yellow Vinyl

ManUtd1986 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I currently am due to get braces within the next month.

My orthodontist told me today that to achieve a 100% result I would need to get jaw surgery. Wasnt expecting to be told this and he informed me the cost would be between 10-20k ?

Wondering is this reasonable and has anybody else experienced similar procedures and what was results.

The thoughts of surgery both in terms of risk and cost are negative and thus looking for some feedback

Posting your question on one thread is good, posting the same text on 4 threads is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ManUtd1986

Posting your question on one thread is good, posting the same text on 4 threads is not.

Thanks for the advice. First time poster to boards and not 100% sure how it operated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Breener87

Hi Pokeherking,

I had upper and lower done back in 2004 because I had a big overbite and its the best thing I ever did :) PM me if you have any questions - id love to give any advice I can.

This is a long shot I see you had surgery years ago just chancing my arm here, if ur still active could you please give me some advice, I'm all over the place with just my dentist telling me I need surgery, I don't no were to go or who to go too, how long is recovery I feel that I will benefit from it, just how much did it cost how did u go about it thanks alot in advance if ur active.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭kirving

Breener87 wrote: »
    This is a long shot I see you had surgery years ago just chancing my arm here, if ur still active could you please give me some advice, I'm all over the place with just my dentist telling me I need surgery, I don't no were to go or who to go too, how long is recovery I feel that I will benefit from it, just how much did it cost how did u go about it thanks alot in advance if ur active.

I've had upper jaw surgery a few months ago, if this is what you're interested in chatting about?

I'm only part way there, and may still need lower or maybe even double jaw surgery in future. Right now, I have a gap in my front teeth, an expander in my mouth and can't talk or eat properly and have had a small complication, but it's the best decision I've ever made - really.

Get your dentist to refer you to an orthodontist, who will assess your case and in turn will refer you to a surgeon if required, who they should be on first name terms with, as they both have to work hand in hand. From there, it's genuinely a very easy process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Don't know how I only found this thread now.

I'm in for lower jaw surgery in the morning. Can't believe after 2 years of braces, the day is just here!

Not looking forward to the recovery, but all my research has come back with no one ever regretting going ahead with surgery. I'm in my early 40s so I'm at higher risk for permanent nerve damage. It's a risk I'm obviously willing to take, having backed out of surgery in 2012.

Any tips, advice for hospital stay/recovery and liquid diet suggestions?

Just a follow up..

I'm am day 2 post op and being discharged this morning. Swelling is not as bad as I thought, I am up and about since day of surgery and feeling alot better than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Miharo

Hope you have a speedy recovery amor3!

I've been told that I need jaw surgery too and am wondering if anyone could PM me the name of any surgeon they would recommend?

Miharo wrote: »
    Hope you have a speedy recovery amor3!

I've been told that I need jaw surgery too and am wondering if anyone could PM me the name of any surgeon they would recommend?

I could pm if you like. But from my experience your orthodontist would probably have a surgeon that they work in conjunction with. That's the way mine went anyway. It just means they know each others work in fairly good detail and are kept in the loop with each other.

Day 5 for me now and I think swelling has hit its peak in the last 24 hours. Pain not too bad at all, more uncomfortable and liquid diet is starting to become a major headache!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cctobe

amor3 wrote: »
    I could pm if you like. But from my experience your orthodontist would probably have a surgeon that they work in conjunction with. That's the way mine went anyway. It just means they know each others work in fairly good detail and are kept in the loop with each other.

Day 5 for me now and I think swelling has hit its peak in the last 24 hours. Pain not too bad at all, more uncomfortable and liquid diet is starting to become a major headache!

Any way you could let us know around how
    Much surgery cost?

I was told I’d need lower jaw surgery to fix my bite or just straighten them but that could make it more noticeable.

Would rather the surgery but finding it hard to find an estimate online

cctobe wrote: »
    Any way you could let us know around how
    Much surgery cost?

I was told I’d need lower jaw surgery to fix my bite or just straighten them but that could make it more noticeable.

Would rather the surgery but finding it hard to find an estimate online

Yes, I was told I could go just for braces, my teeth are not crooked at all, but with just the braces route, they could extract 2 top teeth and bring my front teeth back. They told me this would give me a 50% better bite. It wasn't worth it for me. It was all or nothing, i wanted a 100% improvement..so surgery it was.

As for cost, I suppose it depends on the orthodontist. In my case, my braces are costing 5 and a half grand, my operation, I got done in a public hospital so was covered by health insurance, and I also need an implant which will set me back around 2 and a half grand, also depends on where you go. You will also have to pay for your consultant fees and any xray's other than the standard ones you might need. It is a really expensive procedure. It was something I thought really long and hard about, and decided after 20 years of thinking about it, this was something I definitely wanted to do.

Advertisement