Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My ex has remarried but we are not divorced

• 13-10-2019 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I have been separated for over 5 years now but not legally and definitely not divorced as we have a house that has to be settled that neither of us are living in nor paying for. However that is separate. Today I was sent a video of him remarrying??? Where do I stand here. Unless was asleep when I signed we are not even legally separated? He has remarried in ireland - do they not check?? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Farr1972 wrote: »
    Hi, I have been separated for over 5 years now but not legally and definitely not divorced as we have a house that has to be settled that neither of us are living in nor paying for. However that is separate. Today I was sent a video of him remarrying??? Where do I stand here. Unless was asleep when I signed we are not even legally separated? He has remarried in ireland - do they not check?? Thanks for any advice.

I'm pretty sure that is 'bigamy' and completely illegal.

You should probably consult a family law solicitor or similar.

Especially in terms of inheritance and succession rights. The new woman could be completely in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What was on the video? The couple may have had a ceremony of some kind to celebrate their love but it might not have been a legal marriage.

If it was a marriage then I would get legal advice. You should proceed with a devorce yourself. It's important to legally devide your assets and debts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

What country were you and your ex originally married in, was that Ireland as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Farr1972

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    What country were you and your ex originally married in, was that Ireland as well ?

Yes civil ceremony in ireland.

And you report that to the guards? It was definitely a legal wedding.. or not legal as the case maybe.. thank you for advice

• Advertisement

Deffo a wedding.. thank you for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is there an option to leave it and move on with life ??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you have been separated for 5 years why have you not gotten legally separated or divorced by now?

OP has property in her name and her husbands name. It's vital that she sorts this out. Should have been sorted sooner in my opinion. Getting a legal separation or devorce is even more important now that the husband has another wife. OP needs to visit a solicitor. Doesn't have to go running to the Gardai but definitely can't keep her head in the sand any longer. She needs a clean break from the ex

Yes if we were divorced...

• Advertisement

Thanks sleeper1... will do... have had head slightly in sand but need to dig it out and move on.. had tried before but wasnt getting any response from him.. nothing back..

Farr1972 wrote:
    Thanks sleeper1... will do... have had head slightly in sand but need to dig it out and move on.. had tried before but wasnt getting any response from him.. nothing back..

I didn't mean that in a bad way Farr1972. We all have our heads buried in the sand at some stage in our lives.

Best of luck to you and I hope this gets sorted out for you without too much grief

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I agree with Sleepers comments, no point rushing to the guards, just get a clean break. Negotiations should be easier that way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Get a solicitor now and sue him for all he has

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    OP has property in her name and her husbands name. It's vital that she sorts this out. Should have been sorted sooner in my opinion. Getting a legal separation or devorce is even more important now that the husband has another wife. OP needs to visit a solicitor. Doesn't have to go running to the Gardai but definitely can't keep her head in the sand any longer. She needs a clean break from the ex

As far as I know the second marriage would be invalid so he still only has one legal wife. The other poor woman is probably clueless that the first wife exists or believes he is divorced.

I think I'd go to the Gardai, to be honest. Id be worried about being connected to the kind of person who'd do something like this, (and is brazen enough to send video) god knows he probably has loans etc in his first wife's name, she is dealing with someone who doesn't care about committing fraud.

He needs investigating.

AulWan wrote:
    As far as I know the second marriage would be invalid so he still only has one legal wife. The other poor woman is probably clueless that the first wife exists or believes he is divorced.

I would agree with this but just to avoid future complications OP needs to get a separation, devorce or report imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Tell him to sign his part if the house over to you and you won't report him for bigamy.

Then move on.

He's moved on. You've had 6 years to get divorced and you didn't. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Farr1972 wrote: »

Its very difficult to get a separation from someone who won't engage with you or the process.

There must be a reason why he did this, and I suspect its all down to the joint property and financials.

I would be calling the cops, revenue, and engaging a forensic accountant and solicitor.

Or, alternatively, you can resort to blackmail, as has been suggested.

Advertisement