Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheated, now separating, do I have to leave house?

• 12-09-2019 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I cheated on my wife and told her that i wanted to leave her. For the last week I have stayed away from the house.

Am i entitled to stay in our family home while things settle? We would both prefer if i wasn't there but its not an option financially.

Is there anything to be aware of while living in the same house with both looking after the children if we're seperating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Do not move out.

You will Suffer very much if you do being obliged to pay for everything and having to struggle.
    By staying until a proper separation can be organised, you'll have a much better chance to get a fairer access and paying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

This guy cheated on his wife and you want him to be constantly around to remind her of the pain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

This guy cheated on his wife and you want him to be constantly around to remind her of the pain
    If it upsets her that much, let her move out. He legally owns half their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

The OP is asking for advice that will help him not to be judged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Read about 'No fault Divorce' op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Dado Dado wrote: »
    I cheated on my wife and told her that i wanted to leave her. For the last week I have stayed away from the house.

Am i entitled to stay in our family home while things settle? We would both prefer if i wasn't there but its not an option financially.

Is there anything to be aware of while living in the same house with both looking after the children if we're seperating?

- I've no background in how things are working here on this from legal point of view

TBH, depends if you want to remarry or not.

Rather than moving out and then expose your kids to another dad or mum who might move in later - I'd favor co-parenting in same house, while adults can "date" outside the home.

Depends on the age of your kids, what the wife needs/expects and so on...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

This is a guest thread from a month ago. I'm guessing the OP is long gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Advice would be not to move out, at least yet. Go through mediation to sort things legally first. Eventually, a Judicial Seperation order will probably favor her but it gives time to sort things amicably. It might be the OP’s fault but it’s best to sort things legally first despite the pain. If they can be grown ups about the Seperation at least, it will help the kids long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

if you move out the judge will see that you are surviving in a new place and your wife in your current house.

she mighnt get ownership of the house but will defo be allowed stay there...you'll be waiting years to get your share.

best stick it out and sell the house (your share) in the separation or divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

I always wondered, if the guy moves out and then decides to move back in, say before it gets to court for judicial separation case, is there anything to prevent him from doing so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Legally, you do not have to move out of the house.

Morally, you should.

LastStop wrote: »
    I always wondered, if the guy moves out and then decides to move back in, say before it gets to court for judicial separation case, is there anything to prevent him from doing so?
    Nope. He can move back in at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

AulWan wrote: »
    Nope. He can move back in at any time.

Why not its half his house

bizidea wrote: »
    Why not its half his house

I think you need to re-read what i posted. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Difficult. Know people that have stayed living in same house after seperation and it is awkward and uncomfortable. But you will have access to kids and get a much better deal.
    The alternative is probably a rented house sharing with students or move home to mammy. Neither ideal for mental health either.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

AulWan wrote: »
    I think you need to re-read what i posted. :confused:

Ha I'll have to start wearing my glasses more often

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Iodine1

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Difficult. Know people that have stayed living in same house after seperation and it is awkward and uncomfortable. But you will have access to kids and get a much better deal.
    The alternative is probably a rented house sharing with students or move home to mammy. Neither ideal for mental health either.

Yes, agreed but to add, often end up on the street as single men find it impossible to get a room, flat or anything to put a roof over them, (and yet may be still be paying maintenance).

Advertisement