Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lack of Demo Bikes

Options
  • 11-08-2020 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be in the very fortunate position of getting my first brand new bike in the next couple of months but I've gotten really frustrated at the lack of bikes available for test drives. I know there isn't the volume of business to have demos for every make and model but they really do seem few and far between across the board.

I've never bought a machine, new or used before, without at least a 20/30 minute spin and was wondering how other folk deal with it. Bearing in mind I'd be planning on keeping whatever I do go with for the next 10 years, I want to be sure it's right for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

What brand and bike you looking at? Certain dealers up North have plenty demo bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aido43

Try up North--Philip MCCallen in Lisburn have a great range and have no problems with test rides. Down here they want your first born as surety before you can get a test ride.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Chiorino wrote: »
    I'm going to be in the very fortunate position of getting my first brand new bike in the next couple of months but I've gotten really frustrated at the lack of bikes available for test drives. I know there isn't the volume of business to have demos for every make and model but they really do seem few and far between across the board.

I've never bought a machine, new or used before, without at least a 20/30 minute spin and was wondering how other folk deal with it. Bearing in mind I'd be planning on keeping whatever I do go with for the next 10 years, I want to be sure it's right for me.

I think M50 Honda allow a test ride if you are interested in their models. :)

It has been a while since I bought a brand new bike but I was never even offered a test drive before I took the plunge so things have changed a little. As said, the market here is not big enough but a dealer up in the UK might be willing to let you out on a bike for a short test.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

I had test rides from Megabikes and M50 Honda, and both were very accommodating. I suppose it is a bit down to what you are asking for and maybe how you come across. Bikes were actual stock, not demo stock, as I have not seen anyone keep that in Ireland.

I agree with others that getting test rides is generally easier in NI and elsewhere in UK where having demo stock is common: I have tested at GS Motorcycles in Hillsborough and several places in UK, last time at Robinsons in Rochdale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I think Adventure Motorcycles Ireland might allow you too as well.

I had a go on a few of their bikes - albeit it was a open day but I barely had my full license and they allowed me on the new Moto Guzzi, Tracer 900 and Africa Twin.

They were a sound bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

I had a test ride from Bikeworld a year or so ago. A full hour. Had to provide licence ID but not much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Looks like a trip up north might be the best option so. I have heard good things about Phillip McCallen's set up. They do seem to be able to run demo bikes when others don't/can't.

Among others, I did enquire with bikeworld but was told unless they got a trade in/used bike, they couldn't offer a test drive on the bike I was looking at (z1000sx).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Looks like a trip up north might be the best option so. I have heard good things about Phillip McCallen's set up. They do seem to be able to run demo bikes when others don't/can't.

Among others, I did enquire with bikeworld but was told unless they got a trade in/used bike, they couldn't offer a test drive on the bike I was looking at (z1000sx).

Dont talk to me about bikeworld, I asked for a test ride on the new versys 1000 just before I got my KTM and was told there was none. I asked can you get one in, owner said no. I said what about the new one looking at us he said unless I give him €5000 deposit no test ride!

Can you imagine the hassle getting the 5k back if you did not buy the bike!!!!

Having said that, the clothing department upstairs run by Ray is very good. He is a genuine fella and if he can do something to look after you he will. I got my last 2 textiles suits in there and full set of leathers.

Also, McCallens will not let you ride a bike without giving them a €50 deposit PER BIKE, which is refundable if you buy the bike!

Having test rode the 1000sx its an aquired taste tbh, feels like its trying too hard to be a sports bike and a tourer all in one. And I found the seating position very far forward like your sitting on the handle bars.

Try the new Versys its a CRACKER!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Id say its to stop all the clowns looking for a free run on a high powered bike, but you have to use some common sense ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭batman_oh

McCallens wouldn't let me take the new Superduke demo bike out when I was there last month for a service. Something to do with no insurance to cover southern licence

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Dont talk to me about bikeworld, I asked for a test ride on the new versys 1000 just before I got my KTM and was told there was none. I asked can you get one in, owner said no. I said what about the new one looking at us he said unless I give him €5000 deposit no test ride!

Can you imagine the hassle getting the 5k back if you did not buy the bike!!!!

Having said that, the clothing department upstairs run by Ray is very good. He is a genuine fella and if he can do something to look after you he will. I got my last 2 textiles suits in there and full set of leathers.

Also, McCallens will not let you ride a bike without giving them a €50 deposit PER BIKE, which is refundable if you buy the bike!

Having test rode the 1000sx its an aquired taste tbh, feels like its trying too hard to be a sports bike and a tourer all in one. And I found the seating position very far forward like your sitting on the handle bars.

Try the new Versys its a CRACKER!

Have to agree on the clothing dept though, always been very accommodating but it's a different attitude entirely downstairs. I'll give the Versys a look too, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Miscreant wrote: »
    I think M50 Honda allow a test ride if you are interested in their models. :)

...only if:

a) you call Mon-Friday, office hours
    b) not at any lunchtime
    c) only if its a stock item for which they have a demo model - they won't wheel out a new unreg bike for you to try out (which I understand)

Whatever about c), a & b above rules out any real interest imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

batman_oh wrote: »
    McCallens wouldn't let me take the new Superduke demo bike out when I was there last month for a service. Something to do with no insurance to cover southern licence

They wont let ROI drivers do demos anymore but will rent you a bike on their demo list and deduct it from the cost of the bike if you wish to purchase one. This is because A LOT of Southern drivers were going up and taking the urine.
    galwaytt wrote: »
    ...only if:

a) you call Mon-Friday, office hours
    b) not at any lunchtime
    c) only if its a stock item for which they have a demo model - they won't wheel out a new unreg bike for you to try out (which I understand)

Whatever about c), a & b above rules out any real interest imho.

They have the most ridiculous opening house of a bike shop. lawnmower, generator equipment shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

D3V!L wrote: »
    They wont let ROI drivers do demos anymore but will rent you a bike on their demo list and deduct it from the cost of the bike if you wish to purchase one. This is because A LOT of Southern drivers were going up and taking the urine.

They have the most ridiculous opening house of a bike shop. lawnmower, generator equipment shop.

customers a customer, house location shouldnt come in to it tbh.

listermint wrote: »

Nah, not in this case: this is not 'location' as in Dublin vs Meath; this is one country versus another, along with all the palaver of VRT, VAT and paperwork that goes with it.

It's too easy to go look, test ride/drive even, but from a business point of view there needs to be a commitment or semblance of one, otherwise it just turns into jollies.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Nah, not in this case: this is not 'location' as in Dublin vs Meath; this is one country versus another, along with all the palaver of VRT, VAT and paperwork that goes with it.

It's too easy to go look, test ride/drive even, but from a business point of view there needs to be a commitment or semblance of one, otherwise it just turns into jollies.

It does seem to reinforce the idea that a lot of people have to go up north just to get a test drive though, even if they always intend to buy back at home. I can understand this to a point, especially if NI dealers have had bad experiences or time wasted with southern test drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

After spending a few hours trying to call them to see if my bike was ready after a service and not getting any answer I got a lift out and stood in the shop for 20 minutes listening to the phones all ringing out till a staff member told me that my bike wasn't ready. I don't think they are customer focused there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

I just bought a new bike and had never even driven one before it arrived, doesn't really bother me. It's a motorcycle, they are all pretty much the same you get used to it in a week.

Same with last bike, bought from UK without having seen it or ridden one before.

Just buy what you like the look of.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

nah sorry, customer is a customer. VAT VRT is about 3-4 forms. Complete bull****. Ive no time for businesses that are not interested in business. renting bikes would ya ever fo .

Whos going to drive all the way up north to dick around. Id say youd count them on a hand.

No excuses here.

They are not doing you a favour, and never forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aido43

Never had issues up North for a test ride once you ring in advance . M50Honda hours and service are a laugh--cant believe KTM have them as distributors.Overall the service up North is spot on--they will ring you back if they say they will...not something any dealer down here comprehends.

• Advertisement

nah sorry, customer is a customer. VAT VRT is about 3-4 forms. Complete bull****. Ive no time for businesses that are not interested in business. renting bikes would ya ever fo .

Whos going to drive all the way up north to dick around. Id say youd count them on a hand.

No excuses here.

They are not doing you a favour, and never forget that.

Who's going to go to NI and dick around - plenty !

Plenty of threads on here about dealers in NI and UK who have zero interest in doing any forms for out of state customers. You want the bike ? Just buy it and figure it out yourself.

And if you consider that if demo bikes would be the nirvana to sales, then why don't they do them down here in the first place ??

They don't even offer the rental option here, you can't pillory NI dealers given the RoI ones...........

Ode To The Motorist

Who's going to go to NI and dick around - plenty !

Plenty of threads on here about dealers in NI and UK who have zero interest in doing any forms for out of state customers. You want the bike ? Just buy it and figure it out yourself.

And if you consider that if demo bikes would be the nirvana to sales, then why don't they do them down here in the first place ??

They don't even offer the rental option here, you can't pillory NI dealers given the RoI ones...........

I'll be honest, I would feel a bit disingenuous getting a test drive from an NI dealer if I had every intention of going back home and doing a deal with a local shop so I can see why they have the rental scheme to at least make something back on any timewasters. Any particular reason why dealers down south can't do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

I did the rental thing with McCallens.

He said it was because plenty of people take the test ride and never end up buying it off them, instead get it from uk or down south.

Essentially to have less tire kickers and more genuine buyers.

In the end they didn't charge me at all, even though I didn't buy the bike off them.

I was a few months away from being ready to pull the trigger when I test drove it.

As for not driving a bike before you buy it, feck that, I'm not dropping 10k+ on something without getting to ride it first.

I tested a few bikes around that time, which I thought I'd love but discounted them after I drove it.

If you are considering dropping 10k+ on a brand new bike, spending a few quid to rent one is a cheap way to find out if you like it IMO.

colm_c wrote: »
    I did the rental thing with McCallens.

He said it was because plenty of people take the test ride and never end up buying it off them, instead get it from uk or down south.

Essentially to have less tire kickers and more genuine buyers.

In the end they didn't charge me at all, even though I didn't buy the bike off them.

I was a few months away from being ready to pull the trigger when I test drove it.

As for not driving a bike before you buy it, feck that, I'm not dropping 10k+ on something without getting to ride it first.

I tested a few bikes around that time, which I thought I'd love but discounted them after I drove it.

If you are considering dropping 10k+ on a brand new bike, spending a few quid to rent one is a cheap way to find out if you like it IMO.

I went to NEC and test rode what I was interested in, Honda here weren't interested.

Irish dealers have never had the support of either distributors or manufacturers that exists in the UK and elsewhere. In those places demo bikes are not only incentivised but fully expected to be in place by the manufacturers.

In the wake of the pandemic where public transport is cut way back, motorcycle sales in the UK are up 40% over same period last year. Incentivised training and demo's and attractive finance are part of the marketing arsenal. It works.

You'll struggle to find that here.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement