Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Log Cabin

• 29-07-2020 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭

Hi folks , thinking of building a log cabin or concrete shed in back garden, do I need planning permission if my son was to live in for a while until he buys his own property, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Search function. Log cabins are probably one of the most popular subjects every few weeks here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

alie wrote: »
    Hi folks , thinking of building a log cabin or concrete shed in back garden, do I need planning permission if my son was to live in for a while until he buys his own property, thanks

Dont think it'll be economical if its to be used as a habitated space. Regs and spec to high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

listermint wrote: »
    Search function. Log cabins are probably one of the most popular subjects every few weeks here.

Have been ill in hospital so have not been online for a while but thanks

Dont think it'll be economical if its to be used as a habitated space. Regs and spec to high.

It would just be a bedroom and living space , he would use the house for other necessities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

As has been said before, this topic has been raised several times. There are a few problems. The "garden shed" exemption to requiring planning permission does not apply as its for habitation. Its unlikely planning would be granted. The log cabins when delivered will not meet building regulations. There may be problems with insurance, as the dwelling does not meet building regulations.

Consider building on a granny flat if that is practical. Probably a better solution

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This kind of building should be encouraged, not discouraged. As long as the spec is good and conforms to building regs I don't see the issue at all, given that people need housing and due to Covid cannot afford mad rents now.

I do appreciate that if such habitable buildings are allowed it could become a free for all, and neighbours might object if let out to all and sundry.

But realistically if a family member uses it I really don't see the problem. Six monthly checks would be so much more economical than providing social housing now. Well common sense is a rare thing in Council decisions in my experience anyway.

I have no doubt that I will be told I am dreaming. But honestly it does make a lot of sense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

alie, yes you will need planning for your intended use.

Mod Note

Anybody suggesting the planning laws can be ignored will be banned from A & P without further warning.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

This kind of building should be encouraged, not discouraged. As long as the spec is good and conforms to building regs I don't see the issue at all, given that people need housing and due to Covid cannot afford mad rents now.

I do appreciate that if such habitable buildings are allowed it could become a free for all, and neighbours might object if let out to all and sundry.

But realistically if a family member uses it I really don't see the problem. Six monthly checks would be so much more economical than providing social housing now. Well common sense is a rare thing in Council decisions in my experience anyway.

I have no doubt that I will be told I am dreaming. But honestly it does make a lot of sense.

They don't conform to building regs though.

DubCount wrote: »
    As has been said before, this topic has been raised several times. There are a few problems. The "garden shed" exemption to requiring planning permission does not apply as its for habitation. Its unlikely planning would be granted. The log cabins when delivered will not meet building regulations. There may be problems with insurance, as the dwelling does not meet building regulations.

Consider building on a granny flat if that is practical. Probably a better solution

I dont have space for a granny flat.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    alie, yes you will need planning for your intended use.

Mod Note

Anybody suggesting the planning laws can be ignored will be banned from A & P without further warning.

Do not reply to this post.

Thanks so much for your reply, this a first for me, never had to go down this route before.

It's asked here regularly alie.

Have a read through the previous 1,646 posts although I'll warn you in advance, most are variations on the answers above.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

alie wrote: »

Short legal answer is yes, you need planning permission.
    Not so short answer is you won’t get planning permission.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They can’t comply with building regs.
    Even if you built it to the top spec available , TGD Part B (Fire Safety) will be the downfall. Particularly B5, access and facilities for fire fighters and fire tenders.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Even if you built it to the top spec available , TGD Part B (Fire Safety) will be the downfall. Particularly B5, access and facilities for fire fighters and fire tenders.

What about the timber frame types?

Like these

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

they aren't log cabins. They are prefabbed building and should built to Irish standards. Still need planing for where they are located. The FAQs are certainly questionable. No mention of conforming to irish standards that I saw.

This has ben answered many times with people trying to point out loopholes. The answer is basically no. What people do illegally doesn't count

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Thierry12 wrote: »
    What about the timber frame types?

Like these

<snip>

The prices quoted are very misleading, exclusions listed make up a massive cost

JimmyMW wrote: »
    The prices quoted are very misleading, exclusions listed make up a massive cost

I don't know

154sqm 4 bed house for €84,000

Even if the rest of the sutff is another €84,000

It's a cheap house at €168,000

Would cost €250,000+ to build house that size?

I don't know

154sqm 4 bed house for €84,000

Even if the rest of the sutff is another €84,000

It's a cheap house at €168,000

Would cost €250,000+ to build house that size?

Excluded items would be well in excess of that in my opinion, foundations, base, plastering, wiring, plumbing, heating system, kitchen/appliances, sanitary ware, internal woodwork, doors, flooring etc

Excluded items would be well in excess of that in my opinion, foundations, base, plastering, wiring, plumbing, heating system, kitchen/appliances, sanitary ware, internal woodwork, doors, flooring etc

Will still work out far cheaper than block?

• Advertisement

Will still work out far cheaper than block?

if it did every developer in the country would be using them. Also keep in mind the spec you are getting, its a shed roof covering your getting

I don't know
    Correct!
    I could building anything I like and it doesn't have to be according to Irish regs for a habitable space and it will be cheaper. Doesn't make it a bargain or a good idea

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Correct!
    I could building anything I like and it doesn't have to be according to Irish regs for a habitable space and it will be cheaper. Doesn't make it a bargain or a good idea

It's according to regualtions, says it is anyway

if it did every developer in the country would be using them. Also keep in mind the spec you are getting, its a shed roof covering your getting

Probably right

I'm far from an expert

Do they make them as cheap as possible here?

Not in interest to keep prices high?

You hear stories of timber frames like below going up for nothing in EU countries and we paying 300k for 3 bed 100sqm block houses here

Truth in those stories?

http://www.frame-house.eu/index.php/eng/projects

It's according to regualtions, says it is anyway

They aren't and it doesn't quite say that either. Saying that people don't need planning and mentioning some got planning could be a slight of hand. Yes they got planning for a shed not a habitable dwelling for example.

Go read all the other threads and any argument you make is already covered. You won't find a loophole and if you are looking for one that should tell you what you are trying to do. If you need a loophole then you are chancing your arm it is that simple

• Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Gumbo wrote: »

How are all the Log Cabin banjos all over the country selling these cabins to live in. ? Seems silly to allow them to sell them knowing they are not up to living spec regulations.

ask yourself:
    • If developers could put up a timber frame house for less money why aren't they all doing it and making a larger profit?
    • If timber frame houses were significantly cheaper than block, why aren't all new estates timber frame?
    • If mass-produced factory houses were lower cost, why don't we have estates full of them?
    • If 30k log cabins/sheds were permitted as habitable dwellings, why aren't there hundreds of thousands of them across the country?
    • If importing frames from Lativa were the key to significant cost reductions, how come some smart developer has completely missed that opportunity?

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely hope someone will have a breakthrough and come up with a way to revolutionise low-cost house building. I don't think the source is going to be an advert for a cheap garden cabin.

How are all the Log Cabin banjos all over the country selling these cabins to live in. ? Seems silly to allow them to sell them knowing they are not up to living spec regulations.

Good point

Does seem mad

I know of a few cabins around and they are " home offices " with no planning

Graham wrote: »
    ask yourself:
    • If developers could put up a timber frame house for less money why aren't they all doing it and making a larger profit?
    • If timber frame houses were significantly cheaper than block, why aren't all new estates timber frame?
    • If mass-produced factory houses were lower cost, why don't we have estates full of them?
    • If 30k log cabins/sheds were permitted as habitable dwellings, why aren't there hundreds of thousands of them across the country?
    • If importing frames from Lativa were the key to significant cost reductions, how come some smart developer has completely missed that opportunity?

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely hope someone will have a breakthrough and come up with a way to revolutionise low-cost house building. I don't think the source is going to be an advert for a cheap garden cabin.

Don'tregulations stop all that?

Too complex?

If we made them less complex we could build them?

Like diesel and petrol engines of today, only an auto giant like VW can afford to make diesel engines because of emission regualtions , small manufacturers have no chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Probably right

I'm far from an expert

Do they make them as cheap as possible here?

Not in interest to keep prices high?

You hear stories of timber frames like below going up for nothing in EU countries and we paying 300k for 3 bed 100sqm block houses here

Truth in those stories?

http://www.frame-house.eu/index.php/eng/projects

That 300K includes a lot more than just the wall blocks.

Advertisement