Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subbing along with another job?

• 23-07-2020 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

There's an opportunity I've been eyeing up outside of teaching. Without being too specific it is based largely on seasonal work, it'd be busy from May 1st to the end of September. For the other months of the year you could have a mix of busy weeks and quiet ones, days on and off etc.

While I enjoy teaching, I'm very tempted to give this a go. One option I can see is using subbing to keep income ticking over on the days you wouldn't have other work to do. I'm based in the mid-west and one of my subjects is in high demand.

Has anyone experience of making a situation like that work? Cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

F5500 wrote: »
    There's an opportunity I've been eyeing up outside of teaching. Without being too specific it is based largely on seasonal work, it'd be busy from May 1st to the end of September. For the other months of the year you could have a mix of busy weeks and quiet ones, days on and off etc.

While I enjoy teaching, I'm very tempted to give this a go. One option I can see is using subbing to keep income ticking over on the days you wouldn't have other work to do. I'm based in the mid-west and one of my subjects is in high demand.

Has anyone experience of making a situation like that work? Cheers.
    I would absolutely recommend leaving teaching. You can always sub and if you're not looking for a permanent job in a place, you can pick and choose where you accept to sub when they call. You also get more money per hour because you're not paid during holidays. There will be less planning and preparation required and you can leave it all at the door as soon as your subbing is finished.

I can almost guarantee you that if the work you're doing outside of education is something you love, you will find it more rewarding, fulfilling and get more gratitude for it. No longer is educating children a noble pursuit or something people of a caring disposition should be inclined towards. If you jump ship, I wish you every success in whatever it is you're pursuing. Anyone who can get out needs to do everything they can to, because education in this country has been completely thrown in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

If finances are an issue for you it might not be the most suitable as you get taxed more if working two jobs, the tax can be so high that it's not worth working a second job.

Advertisement