Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mars 2020 Missions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

josip wrote: »
    I'd be more relaxed if they were using exactly the as what had worked in the past.

Almost sure its been used to land on Astroid Benu a few months ago ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What time can we watch this from? Any good sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    What time can we watch this from? Any good sources?

JPL YouTube channel from 7.15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

fingers and toes all crossed!

and while we're waiting...

https://youtu.be/YH3c1QZzRK4

just fyi, NASA's Eyes program is struggling with the load, even desktop version slow to load data

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

The delay for the video signal to arrive from Mars to Earth is around 14 minutes?

• Advertisement

What time should the 7 minutes of terror start?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

What time should the 7 minutes of terror start?

Coming on to ask the same thing!

Sitting here with the kids watching the coverage but at no point have they given any indication of how long we are looking at for landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

quad_red wrote: »

Sitting here with the kids watching the coverage but at no point have they given any indication of how long we are looking at for landing.

Sky news said coverage starts at 8.45

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Seems to be 8.48pm our time I believe but I’m no expert on this (I.e haven’t a clue!) just find it fascinating to watch.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56103231

Here’s the YouTube for the NASA Jet Propulsion Lab:
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCryGec9PdUCLjpJW2mgCuLw

NASA YouTube channel itself:
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCLA_DiR1FfKNvjuUpBHmylQ

quad_red wrote: »

20 minutes to entry they just said on the live stream.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On NASA TV on Hotbird 13E in HD and UHD

https://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=nasa

3 mins to ditching the cruise stage

14 minutes from entry interface

7.5 minutes to entry interface.

Exciting!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

de spinning, the thingymajigs are all thingymajigging, textbook so far

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I really hope it's a success so it can get on with its 10 year mission. Also a small fact many here might not know it Carrys a small helicopter and it's also going to attempt to generate Oxygen in the Mars atmosphere.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I really hope it's a success so it can get on with its 10 year mission. Also a small fact many here might not know it Carrys a small helicopter and it's also going to attempt to generate Oxygen in the Mars atmosphere.

Did I read that there would be soil samples being sent back to Earth?
    How does that happen?

How does that happen?
    Us Europeans will come and collect them.

Will there be any footage of the landing site from the probe, I guess that takes a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

are the images of mars and the space craft actually real or a cgi ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPrbJ63qUc4

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How does that happen?

A European built rover actually been built in the UK I think is going to be sent there to collect them in 2026 and it will sent them into space where another mission in 2031 will collect them. I think I have all that right.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Confirmation of entry into the atmosphere of Mars

are the images of mars and the space craft actually real or a cgi ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPrbJ63qUc4
    Real

they always send a second spacecraft to do all the filming :p

In reality they should detach little probes to do it for the PR.
    Atmospheric entry with the heat and the flames and the ions is not conducive to radio signals.

AMKC wrote: »
    A European built rover actually been built in the UK I think is going to be sent there to collect them in 2026 and it will sent them into space where another mission in 2031 will collect them. I think I have all that right.

Ah right. A bit more time to wait so!

max deceleration passed, so just the sudden stop to worry about 1Km/s 16km to go

Can't wait for the applause, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Parachute deployed and heat shield jettisoned.

1km to go

300m

20m and going up :eek:

• Advertisement

1km to go!

Advertisement