Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Championship and Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I'd prefer an FA Cup style championship for the year. Open draw with home and away basis used. It doesn't matter the size of a team's home ground, they're out of the hat first then they're at home. It wouldn't be sustainable over a few season mind but it would be nice to see this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I dont think there is a hope in hell of the cships being player this year. Are people not listening or paying attention? Barring some sort of miraculous breakthrough here will be no vaccine for months yet, even an antibody test is a long way off. I understand the need for hope but some of the stuff posted here is just pure delusion. This virus isnt going anywhere, and if we do tentatively start the games again what happens when a player tests positive and the whole panel has to go into isolation for 2 weeks, further dragging thiugn sout. Please feel free to bump this post in September if the cships are in full flow, and ill gladly eat humble pie.

If knockout do-or die football is what the people crave, why do we not get enormous crowds at qualifier games?

Carlow and Longford played a first round qualifier last year that should tick all the cliché boxes people love. Winnable game for both teams, summer game, do-or-die championship match etc. but the crowd was pretty sparse.

Why would having the same game as a straight knockout Leinster 1st round improve the crowd?

Because nobody cares in either county.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I still expect to see a Championship of some sort played this year. I know its hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel at present and i could be badly wrong but if players could get back training in say July (even second half of July) then it could be run off in Aug - Oct.

That gives us 3 months to try and combat this disease. Bayern Munich are back doing some sort of training as well as other German teams. Good to see some sort of normality somewhere on the continent.

We have to have hope lads. Its shocking stuff thats going on but three months is a good length of time. We may be in a better place then. I sincerely hope we are.

One thing for sure there will be no full houses permitted at matches i would expect. I dont know how they'd work that. Maybe 50% maximum allowed. Maybe no crowd at all. I really dont know.

But as another posted said this could be all wishful thinking. What if a player was tested and was positive in some team? It could be messy. And very serious.

Please god we'll have some sunshine to lighten this very dark time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭kksaints

scrubs33 wrote: »
    Looking at this through a hurling lens only for a moment I can see the Leinster and Munster round robin games being played off over 6 weekends (including rest weekends) from the middle of June to the end of July. This will be done behind closed doors to fulfill TV deals. Provincial finals the August weekend: I think the situation will have improved by then based on current numbers and predictions, and you will have full houses at both. AI semi finals two weeks later on Sat and Sunday as usual. AI final as close to the first Sunday in September as possible then. Given that soccer teams in Germany are back training I do think that mid May is reasonable for inter county teams to get back training.

Its very hard to see the Championship been back by June when a country like Austria which is further ahead on the curve then we are only considering sport been back by the middle of June. Mass gatherings such as matches and concerts will be the last thing to come back when the restrictions are lifted. The Health Authorities would also prefer to cut down on as much discretionary travel as possible this year so a round robin system doesn't seem likely. A straight knock out format may be possible inter county wise but it would have to be very quickly done as in rounds every weekend and limited travel. The County Club championships may have a better chance of being allowed.

Its also very hard to see full capacities being allowed at all this year. Its hard to see Social Distancing lifted at all until a vaccine is introduced and there is no way a full terrace like the Hill or Semple Stadium behind the goal would be acceptable.

It also must be noticed that one of the things being blamed for Bergamo being the hardest hit area of Italy is the Atalanta vs Valencia Champions League match in Milan in mid February when 40,000 Atalanta fans travelled from Bergamo to Milan and would also have packed out the pubs of Bergamo for those who didn't travel. Looking at that scenario, it sounds very similar to a match in Croke Park with everyone travelling to Dublin and then back home so its easy to see how mass gatherings of the sort could led to virus outbreaks spreading massively unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

Greensoup wrote: »
    It was on Newstalk on Wednesday (April 1st)....

Legit if it was on Newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Yep sure is for April 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I dont think there is a hope in hell of the cships being player this year. Are people not listening or paying attention? Barring some sort of miraculous breakthrough here will be no vaccine for months yet, even an antibody test is a long way off. I understand the need for hope but some of the stuff posted here is just pure delusion. This virus isnt going anywhere, and if we do tentatively start the games again what happens when a player tests positive and the whole panel has to go into isolation for 2 weeks, further dragging thiugn sout. Please feel free to bump this post in September if the cships are in full flow, and ill gladly eat humble pie.

No harm having a bit of a debate on it in these testing times. I don't think the GAA or Government are going to be logging on here and taking advice from a bunch of people talking sh1te on an internet forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

[QUOTE=rpurfield;113094654]No harm having a bit of a debate on it in these testing times. I don't think the GAA or Government are going to be logging on here and taking advice from a bunch of people talking sh1te on an internet forum![/QUOTE]

No, you're quite right so in the unlikely event of the cship being played i think the most likely scenario is an 'open' draw type knockout with top 8 teams seeded

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

No, you're quite right so in the unlikely event of the cship being played i think the most likely scenario is an 'open' draw type knockout with top 8 teams seeded

I think there is a real chance for the GAA to implement real reform for the Championship but I'm not sure whether they want to take a chance on it. I would love to see an open draw for the McCarthy cup. Teams from 1a and 1b when the league stopped with home advantage to first drawn team. Imagine a repeat of last years hurling semi finals in Nolan Park or Thurles on a Saturday and Sunday with one of the teams going out each day.... And as for the football Kerry vs Dublin in Killarney....

• Advertisement

I think there is a real chance for the GAA to implement real reform for the Championship but I'm not sure whether they want to take a chance on it. I would love to see an open draw for the McCarthy cup. Teams from 1a and 1b when the league stopped with home advantage to first drawn team. Imagine a repeat of last years hurling semi finals in Nolan Park or Thurles on a Saturday and Sunday with one of the teams going out each day.... And as for the football Kerry vs Dublin in Killarney....

Sounds good. But what about fans attending the games? Maybe 20% capacity permitted? I'd take behind cloeed doors at this stage but the GAA rely on gate receipts so tv money wont suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Extend it to the top 4 from 2A and you have 16 teams. Open draw, straight knockout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭C__MC

Wont be a championship lads
    Cramming thousands of people into grounds when no cure is close

We live in hope though

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The Gaa are taking there time about making a decession as it is only a month away to the round robin in the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

its possible we could see the return of the old calender wih it finishing on paddys day 2021 with the AI senior club finals. IC championships July/Aug/Sep/possibly til Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

Fred Daly wrote: »
    The Gaa are taking there time about making a decession as it is only a month away to the round robin in the hurling.

Well since we seem to be looking at an extension to restrictions for another 2 weeks (govt announcement due tomorrow evening), I wouldn't expect the round Robin format to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

dobman88 wrote: »
    Well since we seem to be looking at an extension to restrictions for another 2 weeks (govt announcement due tomorrow evening), I wouldn't expect the round Robin format to go ahead.

Social distance is going to be here good while. Hard to see any championship happening.

It will be played lads. Have some faith and hope. All Ire champions in football and hurling will be known before the year is out. If they have to run it off under lights in Croke Park Oct - Dec they will. We will see action this year. Am i losing my marbles? After all some say its the hope that kills you in the end.

3 week extension so that brings us up to May 5th.

Forget about a championship this season lads

3 week extension so that brings us up to May 5th.

Forget about a championship this season lads

I'll do an imaginary 100e bet with you that there will.

• Advertisement

I'll do an imaginary 100e bet with you that there will.

Might be. Not as we know it tho. Keep the bet. I'm not a gambling man.

Might be. Not as we know it tho. Keep the bet. I'm not a gambling man.

Think everybody agrees it wont be run of as usual. But there will be a championship in one way or another. Im pretty confident of that. Fair play to you not engaging in an imaginary bet. It could lead to you going down a virtual path of destruction.

Think everybody agrees it wont be run of as usual. But there will be a championship in one way or another. Im pretty confident of that. Fair play to you not engaging in an imaginary bet. It could lead to you going down a virtual path of destruction.

I'll be honest chalkie. I'm 3/4 of the way into a bottle of gin so I'll leave it there for now

I'll be honest chalkie. I'm 3/4 of the way into a bottle of gin so I'll leave it there for now

Happy Easter haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

There will be a championship. The round robin will be done away with in hurling and the provincials are doubtful. Throw the teams in a hat (knockout style).

billyhead wrote: »
    There will be a championship. The round robin will be done away with in hurling and the provincials are doubtful. Throw the teams in a hat (knockout style).

Thats the positivity we need lad. We will see our great games again in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Thats the positivity we need lad. We will see our great games again in the not too distant future.

A1 lad. I don't care how unlikely it seems or what form it takes. I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

There’s always a mad knee jerk panic from people each time restrictions are announced on the day, but really most know they’re coming. We will still see ball this year.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »

We've all agreed on here on the issue of crowds at games later on in year. Nobody thinks full houses will be permitted but a lot of us still expect to see ball being played one way or another.

Advertisement