Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Capital Gains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Really better just to ignore ewan McKenna completely do not give him the satisfaction of knowing he is getting anybody's gander up we are all fully aware of his thoughts on Dublin and he won't change .

Yeah the fella is not worth it, he is distant to the GAA both geographically and emotionally. He just uses people's love of the sport to make nasty, snide comments to get attention for himself so he can carve out a 'career'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Have never read McKenna. Not out of spite. Just dont buy newspapers in years and isn't he with the Indo who are under a pay wall online?

He is with another crowd now - called pundit arena. His articles are normally a jumble of contradictions and smart ass needling comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

MacKenna is a glorified blogger, best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,776 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

RTÉ have always had a first class sports department but if they are hiring this clickbait tool whose only analytical prowess is to try and seek a reaction and provoke people they’d be better off putting him out to pasture and employing a person with a skillful understanding of the game, sport in general and someone who can convey a reasoned and impartial insight. RTÉ not looking good having this chancer hanging around the studio...bit of a tabloid ‘hey look at me’ merchant.

Strumms wrote: »
    24 hours later....The GAA have been very quiet though. What I’d like to see is someone release a statement along the lines of ...

“ it’s come to out attention that at half time there was an incident involving Tyrone and Dublin, the GAA won’t tolerate any violence, threatening behavior or intimidation either on the pitch or in the tunnel / dressing room area either before, during, at half time or after the game. The wellbeing and safety of players, officials, staff, volunteers and supporters is paramount and anyone involved in compromising the safety and wellbeing of players, staff, volunteers and supporters will be dealt with accordingly.”...

Those scenes were disturbing, let’s see whee the GAA stand as regards having the bottle to act and lay down a marker...(I have my doubts, a slap and a warning the likelihood) if they don’t its only going to encourage more scenes like we saw... hit them with a big fûck off fine, reduced / ban on ticket allocation for away championship games until they get their act together and players, supporters and officials of opposition teams can go about their evening without fear of getting assaulted. Bunch of fûcking dirtbags. Actually a closed doors home game might soften their bite.

You keep assuming in all your posts that Tyrone is at fault here, you don't know what started it or do you have a video.

Mcmahon or one of the other toerags might of tripped someone "accidentally" in the tunnel kicking it all off. Definitely no shortage of punches thrown from easily identifiable Dublin players either(bans coming i'd expect). Alot of mud on your face if it turns out it was actually Dublin players that started this brawl. I assume what you have in bold will equally apply to Dublin players/supporters.

I can't imagine something like that started out of nothing. But i would expect bans for both groups of players involved in the punching.

• Advertisement

What are the British laws on handing over CCTV? Are they as fussy about it as us?

You keep assuming in all your posts that Tyrone is at fault here, you don't know what started it or do you have a video.

Mcmahon or one of the other toerags might of tripped someone "accidentally" in the tunnel kicking it all off. Definitely no shortage of punches thrown from easily identifiable Dublin players either(bans coming i'd expect). Alot of mud on your face if it turns out it was actually Dublin players that started this brawl. I assume what you have in bold will equally apply to Dublin players/supporters.

I can't imagine something like that started out of nothing. But i would expect bans for both groups of players involved in the punching.

Philly McMahon is a toerag apparently ? Well how do you qualify that ? When was his last red card, how many times has he been dismissed during his inter-county career ? you are in fact just spouting the usual anti Dublin guff as always devoid of credibility or intellect for the sport... you are showing a distinct lack of class too about the individual and indeed the game when you stoop to labeling him, personalizing him and indeed other Dublin players as you have done en masse as ‘toerags’... it’s not factual either unfortunately, it’s simply lazy hyperbole once again on your part, not borne out by anything remotely factual but at least you manage to be consistent if nothing else.

As for the footage, we saw Dublin players make their way down the tunnel, Tyrone players follow, instigating apparently an altercation... that’s really all that’s clear from the footage. Tyrone were hell bent on continuing it, causing harm to opposition players, engaging Dublin players as the Dubs had their backs to them, classy bunch but sure, that’s to be expected to be fair at this stage. I suppose the Dubs should just have stood there. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Philly McMahon is a toerag apparently ? Well how do you qualify that ? When was his last red card, how many times has he been dismissed during his inter-county career ? you are in fact just spouting the usual anti Dublin guff as always devoid of credibility or intellect for the sport... you are showing a distinct lack of class too about the individual and indeed the game when you stoop to labeling him, personalizing him and indeed other Dublin players as you have done en masse as ‘toerags’... it’s not factual either unfortunately, it’s simply lazy hyperbole once again on your part, not borne out by anything remotely factual but at least you manage to be consistent if nothing else.

As for the footage, we saw Dublin players make their way down the tunnel, Tyrone players follow, instigating apparently an altercation... that’s really all that’s clear from the footage. Tyrone were hell bent on continuing it, causing harm to opposition players, engaging Dublin players as the Dubs had their backs to them, classy bunch but sure, that’s to be expected to be fair at this stage. I suppose the Dubs should just have stood there. :eek:

Can you post this footage or give a link to it please?

Choochtown wrote: »
    Can you post this footage or give a link to it please?

On the RTÉ player and website.

Strumms, you've typed that it's clear from the footage that Tyrone players have followed Dublin players down the tunnel and instigated an altercation!
    Because of this you say that Tyrone are in your words a "bunch of fûcking dirtbags"

The only thing about the RTE footage is that it's very unclear.

A little bit of bias on your part perhaps??

• Advertisement

Strumms, you've typed that it's clear from the footage that Tyrone players have followed Dublin players down the tunnel and instigated an altercation!
    Because of this you say that Tyrone are in your words a "bunch of fûcking dirtbags"

The only thing about the RTE footage is that it's very unclear.

A little bit of bias on your part perhaps??

No, if you want to familiarize yourself with the word ‘bias’ and it’s definition, educate yourself to what the word means, seeing as you choose to use it, you’ll find it inapplicable to myself.

Any individual or individuals who follow others into a tunnel at a sporting event with intent to physically attack them from behind, I think the phrase used is applicable.

No, if you want to familiarize yourself with the word ‘bias’ and it’s definition, educate yourself to what the word means, seeing as you choose to use it, you’ll find it inapplicable to myself.

Any individual or individuals who follow others into a tunnel at a sporting event with intent to physically attack them from behind, I think the phrase used is applicable.

I know what bias means.

Your bias against Tyrone has led you to believe that they followed the Dublin team into a tunnel with intent to physically attack them from behind.

The RTE footage does not show that by any stretch of the imagination so what is it that leads you to state that that is what happened?

Is it bias? Or have you another reason to state that? Maybe that is what happened. I'm wondering why, with the lack of evidence, you are so sure of the facts.

I know what bias means.

Your bias against Tyrone has led you to believe that they followed the Dublin team into a tunnel with intent to physically attack them from behind.

The RTE footage does not show that by any stretch of the imagination so what is it that leads you to state that that is what happened?

Is it bias? Or have you another reason to state that? Maybe that is what happened. I'm wondering why, with the lack of evidence, you are so sure of the facts.

As you can see, Dublin players are down first, followed, engaged by the opposition players... simple, factual.

As you can see, Dublin players are down first, followed, engaged by the opposition players... simple, factual.

Have you any theory as to why with this simple factual evidence Tyrone have not been charged with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Who were the home team MM?
    Who failed to protect a travelling team from having slaps thrown at them by supporters?
    Who failed to adequately ensure the players safety here?

Should there be players banned for fighting?
    Of course there should.

Should Tyrone be held accountable for gross negligence and allowing that brawl to happen?
    Absolutely they should.

Also, less of the toerag stuff. There's nothing to suggest Philly instigated this and to call him that on a whim is poor form.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Have you any theory as to why with this simple factual evidence Tyrone have not been charged with anything?

Most likely the GAA lack the integrity and appetite to have the necessary willingness to charge Tyrone. In their defense the identities of the players given the bodies in between the camera and action and indeed the distance of the camera from the actual incident might make individual charges against players unsafe due to difficulty identifying them conclusively. Who knows. Either way Tyrone won’t be handing over CCTV footage, which if they had a willingness to prove any so called ‘innocence’ they might have done already. Again though, the knuckle draggers in Croke Park are unlikely to want to cause any problems for Tyrone as mission ‘somebody stop six’ is in full flow and we’ll be seeing multiple instances on and off the pitch to stop the Dubs, fair means and foul, on the pitch and off it.... watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Most likely the GAA lack the integrity and appetite to have the necessary willingness to charge Tyrone. In their defense the identities of the players given the bodies in between the camera and action and indeed the distance of the camera from the actual incident might make individual charges against players unsafe due to difficulty identifying them conclusively. Who knows. Either way Tyrone won’t be handing over CCTV footage, which if they had a willingness to prove any so called ‘innocence’ they might have done already. Again though, the knuckle draggers in Croke Park are unlikely to want to cause any problems for Tyrone as mission ‘somebody stop six’ is in full flow and we’ll be seeing multiple instances on and off the pitch to stop the Dubs, fair means and foul, on the pitch and off it.... watch this space.

I used to be paranoid. Now I know everybody is out to get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭poppers

big_drive wrote: »
    Padraic Joyce kept Galway on the pitch last week vs Tyrone at halftime. Left Tyrone head away in first, clever move

Both teams shouldn't head in together at halftime in any GAA game, always opens possibility of something happening

He gathered them all together in navan as well and let meath head in first. There was a few heated encounters just before halftime.

I used to be paranoid. Now I know everybody is out to get me.

Paranoia is something that manifests itself through an irrational fear or feeling. What’s being discussed is backed by evidence from what we see on camera and what we don’t see the GAA doing... it’s as far from irrational, as far as it gets in fact.

Exactly my point. The footage is not clear enough to determine who is throwing punches.

I know you won't agree with this as you've already decided Tyrone are to blame but clearer footage could also incriminate Dublin players.

• Advertisement

Exactly my point. The footage is not clear enough to determine who is throwing punches.

I know you won't agree with this as you've already decided Tyrone are to blame but clearer footage could also incriminate Dublin players.

What we see is Dublin players heading to the dressing room, backs to the Tyrone lads, the Tyrone lads approach, from behind, all of a sudden fists are flying, doesn’t take a genius to work out the scenario but working it out and proving it are two different things. Tyrone to blame yes but deciding what player conclusively would be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭dog_pig

you are showing a distinct lack of class too about the individual and indeed the game when you stoop to labeling him, personalizing him and indeed other Dublin players as you have done en masse as ‘toerags’...
    Bunch of fûcking dirtbags.

Is this real life?

dog_pig wrote: »
    Is this real life?

I Know, hypocrisy is one word not in his vocabulary. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,157 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

JRant wrote: »
    Who were the home team MM?
    Who failed to protect a travelling team from having slaps thrown at them by supporters?
    Who failed to adequately ensure the players safety here?

Should there be players banned for fighting?
    Of course there should.

Should Tyrone be held accountable for gross negligence and allowing that brawl to happen?
    Absolutely they should.

Also, less of the toerag stuff. There's nothing to suggest Philly instigated this and to call him that on a whim is poor form.

If there were Tyrone supporters involved, and from the footage, that appears likely, a ban on home games for 12 months would be an appropriate punishment, and ensure supporters don't get involved.

Remedial work to ensure segregation would also be required.

Is this real life?

Unfortunately yes, if me or anyone is physically attacked by a gang from behind, as I make my way from a pitch by opposition ‘supporters’ I think it’s a fair and accurate statement. What do you label them as that’s more ‘real life’ ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

JRant wrote: »
    There should absolutely be an investigation into what happened. We can't allow teams be attacked liked that regardless of who or where they come from. If that happened in CP/Parnell with Dubs fans throwing slaps at another teams players it would be all over the news.

Well, we boo other teams' free-takers so we are ACTUALLY the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Is this real life?

Or just a fantasy...

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

Unfortunately yes, if me or anyone is physically attacked by a gang from behind, as I make my way from a pitch by opposition ‘supporters’ I think it’s a fair and accurate statement. What do you label them as that’s more ‘real life’ ?

Strumms i've no problem with your stance IF you're right. You may not be right though.

As far as we know one of the Dublin lads had a meltdown, turned around and attacked all and sundry. All we know conclusively from the footage is that punches were thrown by lads in white and in blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Four days later and not a word out of the GAA over the thuggish scenes in Tyrone on Saturday night. Do they think it will blow over and nobody will notice? If what happened had have occured outside a nightclub in Omagh that night the police cells would have been filled for the night. Looked like a ratio of 10:1 Tyrone to Dublin people on the two videos i've seen. Where's the punishment?

• Advertisement

Four days later and not a word out of the GAA over the thuggish scenes in Tyrone on Saturday night. Do they think it will blow over and nobody will notice? If what happened had have occured outside a nightclub in Omagh that night the police cells would have been filled for the night. Looked like a ratio of 10:1 Tyrone to Dublin people on the two videos i've seen. Where's the punishment?

In fairness historically 'The six counties' is not known for it's accountability and pointing the finger at thier own. The GAA are unlikely to get much cooperation on the mater.
    Better just to ignore it and pretend it did not happen?

Advertisement