Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snooker Shoot Out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭FR01

Bull man joins Hill in the last 32, hopefully Ken can win this evening and join them in the final day tomorrow. A few bob coming towards the two young Cork players, badly needed to fund their snooker careers.

Well done lads !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

As an amatuer do you get to keep the cash? Not sure on that one. Experience is invaluable anyway.

As an amatuer do you get to keep the cash? Not sure on that one. Experience is invaluable anyway.

Good question , I think you do, but as money is basically ranking points now it’s as good as cash for the lads.

FR01 wrote: »
    Good question , I think you do, but as money is basically ranking points now it’s as good as cash for the lads.

Would seem to be against rules, technically anyway, but not sure how enforced they are. Cash a lot more useful than the ranking points anyway as neither player has a tour card.

Actually iirc james cahill got to keep prize money at the world's last year so same will apply here you'd think.

Would seem to be against rules, technically anyway, but not sure how enforced they are. Cash a lot more useful than the ranking points anyway as neither player has a tour card.

Actually iirc james cahill got to keep prize money at the world's last year so same will apply here you'd think.

True enough, prize money is decent, they are both guaranteed £1K so far which doubles each match they win. Will go a long way towards paying their expenses for the tournament. 3 nights in a hotel, flights, travel ie taxis, food, it eats into the prize money.

Winner: £50,000
    Runner-up: £20,000
    Semi-final: £8,000
    Quarter-final: £4,000
    Last 16: £2,000
    Last 32: £1,000
    Last 64: £500
    Last 128: £250 (prize money at this stage will not count towards prize money rankings)
    Highest break: £5,000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

True enough, prize money is decent, they are both guaranteed £1K so far which doubles each match they win. Will go a long way towards paying their expenses for the tournament. 3 nights in a hotel, flights, travel ie taxis, food, it eats into the prize money.

Winner: £50,000
    Runner-up: £20,000
    Semi-final: £8,000
    Quarter-final: £4,000
    Last 16: £2,000
    Last 32: £1,000
    Last 64: £500
    Last 128: £250 (prize money at this stage will not count towards prize money rankings)
    Highest break: £5,000

At least Fergal walked away with 250 squid last night. Not much left after flights and a hotel though. Or do the players get travel allowance? Doubt it.

At least Fergal walked away with 250 squid last night. Not much left after flights and a hotel though. Or do the players get travel allowance? Doubt it.

No unfortunately it’s every man for himself re the travel expenses!

This Carty lad holds the cue nowhere near his chin. Never saw a cue action as far to one side as that.

This Carty lad holds the cue nowhere near his chin. Never saw a cue action as far to one side as that.

Google Graham Miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭H.20v3

AllForIt wrote: »
    I can't watch stuff like this. On principle. I don't see other sports changing their format for what I think is to reach to a wider audience - as if there was a push to find a format for snooker that's a bit more 'populist'.

Golf does totally fine the way it is. They do have variations like the Ryder cup but that's not done to change the game. Snooker should stay the way it is, and having said that I'm not even happy with the way matches have been shortened, especially in the UK Championships. I'd like to see this reversed. 'Come backs' are not something you see much of anymore and that's because there's no scope for it, although they still do happen. But it's more fun in long drawn out matches.

If snooker stays exactly the way it is, i.e. largely UK based, then I'm happy with that. If it should go global I think it should do so on it's own merit's and not be changed to force it to do so. GAA isn't global and why should it. Is it any less worthy because it isn't. Why does everything have to be global anyway. If snooker becomes more popular worldwide - fine, if it doesn't, fine too. I don't ever see Snooker loosing it's popularity here or in the UK. I don't think Snooker is under serious threat for lack of global recognition. There are no pool events on TV here and I think a lot of western European pool players enjoy watching snooker and learn a lot from it. It's just the same thing basically. I think sometimes we forget what we have and try to fix things that aren't broken.

Too late now with the way the pockets are gone

Century means nothing now

• Advertisement

Google Graham Miles

Bloody heck thats bad. Opposite side to Carty but just as horrible to look at.

Bloody heck thats bad. Opposite side to Carty but just as horrible to look at.

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Thanks for that. Watched it. Again that is quite blatant cheating in my book. Black moved quite a bit. Was very obvious. Referee obviously saw it and quite rightly asked Ronnie to stop but he ignored her and played on. I feel bit sorry for her there. Ronnie had to here her but played on and that is very poor form. Hard to believe that actually. He should have forfeited the frame for ignoring the referee.

Just watched this myself. She called "Ronnie, stop!" just as he was delivering the cue to pot the red — and then, after the red went down, she just let him play on?

That's terrible refereeing. She should have called "Foul — Alan McManus seven" and given McManus cue ball in hand in addition to his foul points.

Just watched this myself. She called "Ronnie, stop!" just as he was delivering the cue to pot the red — and then, after the red went down, she just let him play on?

That's terrible refereeing. She should have called "Foul — Alan McManus seven" and given McManus cue ball in hand in addition to his foul points.

Yes without a doubt she should not have let him play on when he ignored her. She should have stepped in after his shot and stopped it. But that doesn't excuse Ronnie ignoring her. Ronnie by far the biggest culprit here. But the ref should have been tougher qnd stood up to him.

Its a very fast moving situation, she didnt see the foul and we dont know what precisely was being indicated to her by the marker. In over 100 years, or however long snooker has been on the go, no ref has ever been in that situation she found herself in so I'd tend to cut her a bit of slack.

Its a very fast moving situation, she didnt see the foul and we dont know what precisely was being indicated to her by the marker. In over 100 years, or however long snooker has been on the go, no ref has ever been in that situation she found herself in so I'd tend to cut her a bit of slack.

She will still get a bollicking from the TD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I appreciate it was a fast-moving situation, but this is the same referee who recently let Ali Carter off with claiming to hit the yellow (replay showed he didn't). She is far too soft with players and lets them away with far too much. If players get the sense she's a pushover, this will only get worse, to the detriment of the sport.

Alan McManus should have had ball in hand yesterday and could easily have won from that position, so it has fairly serious consequences.

I appreciate it was a fast-moving situation, but this is the same referee who recently let Ali Carter off with claiming to hit the yellow (replay showed he didn't). She is far too soft with players and lets them away with far too much. If players get the sense she's a pushover, this will only get worse, to the detriment of the sport.

Alan McManus should have had ball in hand yesterday and could easily have won from that position, so it has fairly serious consequences.

100 % agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Well... I'm not a big ronnie fan, but no denying the black moves.

Wrt to this foul, the black clearly moves when the camera is zoomed in, but really hard for the ref to see it... So I wouldn't say she should have caught it per se. For the record, I actually don't think his cue hits the black at all. I think because he is cueing down hard on the pink, the vibration on the table / cloth caused the black to move slightly. He's cueing down really hard and that will causing a vibration in the slate. I honestly think if he felt it hitting his cue, he would have called it himself.

Wrt to not stopping when the ref asked him, that was bang out of order... And she should have insisted he stop.

As far as I'm aware she technically did nothing wrong. Once ronnie had played the next shot, what else could she do? It was too late at that point so, as chalk suggests, the spotlight should fall on ronnie. Short of actually wresting the cue from ronnies grip, i dont know what dereliction of duty there was. She may well be a substandard ref, as a few of them are, but i personally dont believe she is the main issue in that situation.

• Advertisement

Some posters said earlier that Eurosport didnt even raise the issue back at the studio afterwards? Is this true? If it is it is a disgrace and stinks of Goldstein and White not wanting to get involved and ruffle Ronnie's feathers. This was a serious issue and Ronnie should have been at least questioned about it. Really poor form all round and its hard to look at Ronnie having a laugh with Jimmy White earlier while getting well paid to comment on all other matches and not a word on his own match which is the only controversial match of the week.

Goldstein didnt mention it but could be he didnt hear about it till after. It wasnt something immediately apparent at the time. But not sure really. Ronnie says he couldnt hear the ref shouting stop because of the noise. Plausible explanation or convenient excuse? Take your pick.

They just talked about it on Eurosport just now live.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    They just talked about it on Eurosport just now live.

Yea just caught the end of it with Jimmy White saying Ronnie wouldn't cheat. Thats that then. I guess Ronnie wouldn't cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Some posters said earlier that Eurosport didnt even raise the issue back at the studio afterwards? Is this true? If it is it is a disgrace and stinks of Goldstein and White not wanting to get involved and ruffle Ronnie's feathers. This was a serious issue and Ronnie should have been at least questioned about it. Really poor form all round and its hard to look at Ronnie having a laugh with Jimmy White earlier while getting well paid to comment on all other matches and not a word on his own match which is the only controversial match of the week.

They've questioned him about fouling in the past though?

Yea just caught the end of it with Jimmy White saying Ronnie wouldn't cheat. Thats that then. I guess Ronnie wouldn't cheat.

Neal/Jimmy saying no one saw the foul until the marker saw it and flagged it, and then no one heard the ref because of all the background noise.

I'm still giving ronnie the benefit of the doubt - that if he knew it was a foul he would have called it.

That Ali Carter / Seargent match was one of best frames of snooker I've ever seen. Epic.

Youtube summary reel of Carter match
    https://youtu.be/XAKIoWC9dUU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I'm probably in the minority here but I actually quite like the shootout for what it is and watch quite a lot of it most years - a lot of the time with the sound down because of the morons in the crowd, but the snooker itself is very watchable.

I could actually see some kind of non-ranking shootout series in the off season working quite well - a bit like the Premier league darts, get the top 12 or 16 players as well as a few legends and some of the newer talent involved and it could be something for Sky to show in the summer when they're a bit low on sports rights.

The shootout format has no real bearing on 'proper' snooker but there's potential there as a marketing tool to increase interest in the game. Other long form sports like golf and cricket are having to use shorter formats to grow their sports and it is no harm for snooker to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Must say I've been converted a bit to the format and have enjoyed it this weekend but the crowd drives me nuts still. Regular crowd rules would really improve it.
    Think the Ronnie situation was just an unfortunate mess up with no badness in it.

• Advertisement

I'm probably in the minority here but I actually quite like the shootout for what it is and watch quite a lot of it most years - a lot of the time with the sound down because of the morons in the crowd, but the snooker itself is very watchable.

I could actually see some kind of non-ranking shootout series in the off season working quite well - a bit like the Premier league darts, get the top 12 or 16 players as well as a few legends and some of the newer talent involved and it could be something for Sky to show in the summer when they're a bit low on sports rights.

The shootout format has no real bearing on 'proper' snooker but there's potential there as a marketing tool to increase interest in the game. Other long form sports like golf and cricket are having to use shorter formats to grow their sports and it is no harm for snooker to do the same.

Not sure you're in the minority. I see the logic of your post, some good points there.

That said, i see a danger in it. With cricket it seems to me that the short form isnt just an addition anymore, but is actually taking over and test cricket is very gradually being squeezed. It'll be a 4 day game before long.

Snookers going same way too. Best of 7s are the usual now, long form uk champs was scrapped and you hear more and more people advocating reducing frames at the worlds. Tv companies would especially love it! I just worry its a slippery slope, once short form gets its feet in the door, it basically takes over the whole house!

Like i said here before, that may just be me being old school and out of touch. But that's how i see it.

Advertisement