Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Welsh Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

None of those 3 reds looked pottable, so he surely had to play canon. Was a strange choice of shot alright.

That's what I thought too. Play the black, white off the bottom cushion and cannon into the reds to split them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I think he was trying to leave a straight red to the top left hand pocket but he hit it too hard. ****e match but at least we have a decider.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

sligeach wrote: »
    That's what I thought too. Play the black, white off the bottom cushion and cannon into the reds to split them.

Just looked again and seems he was eyeing up red to corner but overran. Thought he did have angle for canon. Got it done eventually anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

If O'Sullivan wins, he will have fallen over the line. They've both been bad, but Wilson has played the better.

No question Wilson deserved to win. Not really there with andy goldsteins "brilliant performance". He was just less bad than ronnie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Poor defeat for Ronnie. Pity as a final is always something to look forward to when Ronnie is in it. I was hoping he would equal John Higgins 5 Welsh titles. No offence to Wilson but he's not great to watch imo. I dont enjoy his slow, wooden style of play but he was the stronger player towards the end and Ronnie had no answer.

Not sure where that leaves ronnie. He's 16th in players championship standings and would have to reach minimum sf of shoot out to change that (assuming he turns up) so is likely to face judd first round. Hard to know what frame of mind he'll be in for Sheffield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Honestly in the post match interview it looked like Ronnie hasn’t slept in a few days. Lot of stubble and hair all over the place. Looked disheveled. Hope he’s ok! Just not at the races today.

Fancy Yan to beat Murphy tonight. Yan is a very clever player for a man of such young years and it's this asset i feel will help him over the line v Murphy. Murphy, for all his rolls royce cue action, can play shots so stupid you'd wonder what's going on between his ears. His concentration levels are a weakness. Yan to win 6-4.

Bloody Joe Johnson on punditry duties. Time for Mute Button.

• Advertisement

Every fibre of his being wanted to smack that pink into corner pocket but he resisted and played correct shot. Encouraging early sign from Yan.

Don't think i'll have problem getting tickets to the Welsh Open next year looking at the large qmount of empty seats for a Saturday night semi final. It's the perfect sport for Storm Dennis so was half expecting a full house.

Crowds were a bit thin in Cheltenham too. Lot of snooker to go round.

Very well controlled opening frame from yan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The referee forgetting to replace balls after a foul shot? Ridiculous.

Murphy attempts the pot despite knowing the cue ball didn’t pass the red. Bad sign.

Yan let him off hook big time there, did not think taking green on was wise shot. After praising him for his restraint earlier, he lost it a bit there.

A pretty low key semi final so far. Yan is a conservative player. Murphy more of a free spirit. Parity at the break. 2-2.

Not sure what to make of yan. He turns down pots which you think he might go for and then out of the blue he'll take one on that he definitely shouldn't. See a lot of players like that, tactical brain just breaks down under pressure. Should be 3-1 here but murph not a guy i implicitly trust so still game on for sure.

Nice clear up from Murphy. Yan has lost four in a row. Murph looking good for another final.

Hammer blow for yan. Surely no way back after that.

• Advertisement

If it goes 4-4 we could be burning the midnight oil.

This is shambolic.

Intriguing situation here with this snooker. Red pretty much unhittable.

Edit: No miss called by the ref, interesting.

Sure no miss called?

Yan brings it to 4-4. Bit of a slog this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ojnab

Just tuning in to the match. Hope Yan can take it. As an aside, anyone know why his name is Yan on the score screen and not Bingtao?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

ojnab wrote: »
    Just tuning in to the match. Hope Yan can take it. As an aside, anyone know why his name is Yan on the score screen and not Bingtao?

They do the same for Ding Junhui. Not sure why.

Yan is his family name. The Chinese order their names in reverse to the Western way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Sure no miss called?

I think the reasoning would be because the red was over the pocket there is no way Murphy played to miss deliberately to gain an advantage. And it was one of those near impossible situations.

• Advertisement

Is Murphy suffering here? His concentration levels may be waning ever so slightly.

Advertisement