Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Welsh Open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

What a terrible missed roll up snooker by Maguire. Leaves the green on. Frame over. Very tired looking shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Thats fine. Its all opinions. Maguire goes for a few bevvies, ronnie for a 10 mile run. Ding is probably tucked up in bed at 10 while Mark Williams goes for a kebab at 2am on the morning of a world final. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

I dont rate maguires temperament at the table. That shot on the green sums him up, so casual and no reaction from him after it, like he'd already accepted he'd hit a sh!t shot.

I have had a terrible relationship with alcohol myself so maybe its clouding my judgement. You're right though. Different strokes. I could never have a few and be responsible. All or nothing really. I prefer nothing these days because for me the poison was a killer. I'd be like Begby out of Trainspotting trying to hold a cue the night after.

I wouldnt be flippant about it either. A couple of beers is fine but not more and not a regular thing. I'd say if you listed all the young promising snooker careers that never got going, drink likely at the root of majority of them. Saw a couple of those back in the day myself.

Trump at about 60% beats Maguire at about 20%. Not a good match. But Trump still the man to beat.

• Advertisement

Big match on now. O Sullivan v Selby. Come on Ronnie!

Very nervy opening frame. Both players have missed quite a few balls already. No love lost and both desperate to get one over the other.

1-0 Ronnie. Looking good for 2-0. Maximum was on. Took a pink.

142 clearance magic from O Sullivan. 2-0.

Early start caught me out! Assumed 1pm. Great pressure pot on yellow that. Cant see much hope for selby on the little I've seen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Selby is never beat 'til his beat though.

Selby looking more uptight than usual as Ronnie blitzes him to lead 3-0 in jig time.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Selby is never beat 'til his beat though.

Normally wouldnt write him off but he's a shadow of the great player he was 2-3 years ago. Not sure we'll ever see him back.

Ronnie cueing like a dream though. Clearly hugely motivated today.

Valentines Day Massacre for Selby.

Impressive by Ronnie to have to make a semi-final to have a good shot at getting into the Players Championship and then going out and doing it*. If he wins he's almost certainly in the Tour Championship too. Selby, Robbo, and Judd is a tough route to victory though.

*assuming he gets one more.

Thing with ronnie its still just a question of how badly he wants it. In this mood i think only trump and maybe robbo can stop him. As things stand, though, he'll be no.16 on the players championship standings if he wins here and on track to face judd in the first round.

Joe Johnson is a terribly annoying commentator. Endless waffle. Never shuts up. Sometimes the art of silence is the best option for a pundit. Hes not explaining the game to a bunch of 10 year olds. The mute button comes in handy sometimes.

Have a very basic commentators rule that works for me: ABPY. Anyone but phil yates. Nobody else particularly bothers me that much though dennis pushes it a bit for sure.

Dont mind Yates myself. He does seem to rub people up the wrong way but he's a mind of snooker knowledge.

Most the snooker pundits are excellent. Hendry, Foulds, Hendon, McManus all great to listen to.

The only one i dont like is Joe Johnson and im not a fan of Ken Doherty either: always sniggering and laughing at childish gags. His Sportshow on Sunshine on Saturday morning is the same. Im always relieved when hes not hosting that.

Ronnie looking to close out the match with a 5-1 drubbing of the Jester. Fantastic start to the weekend. Brilliant tournament.

• Advertisement

Phil was commentating on a john higgins match a while back and excitedly informed us that this was higgins 125th appearance in a ranking quarter final. Or maybe it was 126th, i immediately forgot. Just not gone on sporting anoraks and especially ones with horrible plummy fake accents like his.

Life in the match just yet.

Ronnie deserves this bit of torture for not dropping that easy red in. Dont mess with the snooker gods.

Unfortunate finish. 2-4 might have been a little bit interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Has Dominic Dale has just used the phrase “couldn’t be arsed” on daytime TV?

Has Dominic Dale has just used the phrase “couldn’t be arsed” on daytime TV?

Didn't hear it but surprised with the Spaceman if he did as he's usually very elogant in his commentary.

Its foulds and dave hendon on commentary, dunno which of them might be the potty mouth.

Looks like Wilson vs Ronnie. I wonder will he roll over against him like he usually does? Like to see another Ronnie vs Trump final but I don't think I fancy Ronnie to win it.

This is best I've seen wilson play for some time, but feel robbo has been treading water for past week so wouldnt go overboard about this. O'sullivan very strong favourite for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

This is best I've seen wilson play for some time, but feel robbo has been treading water for past week so wouldnt go overboard about this. O'sullivan very strong favourite for me.

Wilson is a world class, high level player....there's just something about him though that strikes me...he lacks that 'killer instinct' to go to the next level and be one of the elite few. His form is very structured, very robotic, like he's studied every single page of the 'book of snooker', twice over. I have a hard time seeing him lift the trophy at the Crucible though, unless he got a weird easy run to it. I've a lot of time for him, seems a very nice lad etc, but he doesn't appear to have that enigmatic flair that the greats have all displayed.

Advertisement