Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm sale agreed, contracts in with the solicitor, just getting a few things sorted out. Think I'm going to proceed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Just got an email from my solicitor that they will be working full steam ahead albeit remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Girrrrseach

Hello, all!

Sharing my experience here. Went Sale Agreed back in December, and due to be closing this Wednesday. Broker is confident that the bank will move in time... Getting a bit nervy here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

would you not be concerned buying now and the price of houses takes a dive in a month or two time due to recession/negative outlook on the economy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

fergus1001 wrote: »
    would you not be concerned buying now and the price of houses takes a dive in a month or two time due to recession/negative outlook on the economy

They would also have to contend with not being able to get a loan either even if prices went down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

We put our house up for sale 2 weeks ago, have taken it down. We’ll hold another while and see how things play out

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

For this to actually matter you would have to be looking at selling the house during this time? For anyone purchasing a property as a family home right now that is not at risk of losing their jobs and can afford the mortgage payments - this doesnt really make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

paul-2008 wrote:
    For this to actually matter you would have to be looking at selling the house during this time? For anyone purchasing a property as a family home right now that is not at risk of losing their jobs and can afford the mortgage payments - this doesnt really make a difference

it does if you dont want to be in negative equity because you bought at the top of the market and it really looks like it is even if you take covid-19 out of the equation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Yes.

But I think it is only really relative to your plans for the house. If you were buying as a starter, 'short-term' and/or your job was at obvious risk then you should run for the hills. Similarly if you've only reached a stage of sale agreed and not yet spent money on engineers, solicitors, valuations etc.

However for some of us, while the financial part is massive, there's more to buying a house than that.

For us personally, we've laboured over whether to proceed and have taken the decision to take a gamble. Sure it will be a kick in the teeth to buy at the very edge of the cliff, but we've looked long and hard over the years and very very few similar houses have come on the market in the area irrespective of price bracket. We're buying a family home for the long term. This house ticks our boxes for size, garden, location, internet, schools, access to motorway and more including some stuff we would like but not necessary, like having a South facing back garden. We're also at the age and have a young family where it's time to get out of the rental market and properly settle down. And while my husband's job is as secure as any at the moment there's no guarantee that the banks will be lending again anytime soon no matter how low risk we are on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

it does if you dont want to be in negative equity because you bought at the top of the market and it really looks like it is even if you take covid-19 out of the equation

But again, negative equity only matters if you're selling the property no? Obviously this is only my opinion on the matter.
    In my situation, I am buying a family home in a decent location, I don't think its overpriced for what we are buying and can afford the repayments. Chances are I will be in this house for 30+ years. At the end of the day the repayments will still be less than renting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I'm in this situation, but ultimately the rewards outweigh the risks. I'll be buying my first home with an 80% LTV mortgage, interest rates will probably sink to their lowest ever, but house prices will have to drop by about 20% for me to be in negative equity. If that happens I know I'm going to be living there for the next 15 years which was the plan anyway.

The real risk in buying a house right now is knowing if your job will be secure and the payments affordable. I can't see demand for my skills going away any time soon so I estimate the risk is quite low for me. I'd imagine a lot of people who can afford to buy in this market will be in quite a simlar situation given how unaffordable property is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

paul-2008 wrote: »
    But again, negative equity only matters if you're selling the property no? Obviously this is only my opinion on the matter.
    In my situation, I am buying a family home in a decent location, I don't think its overpriced for what we are buying and can afford the repayments. Chances are I will be in this house for 30+ years. At the end of the day the repayments will still be less than renting

We're similar. The most obvious way we think it will affect us by going into negative equity is chopping and changing providers when our fixed term is over to get the best rate and not being under 80% LTV ratio. But that's a few years away yet and who knows what the lie of the land will be by then

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Got an email this morning to say there was a higher offer which came in this morning.

Can't help but think this is the EA trying to get me to close off and bid higher.

If it were me I'd let them at it. Chances are you may get a better house for less money going forward. They'll probably come back biting your hand off in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

We have bought new, snagged and the 10% handed over already. Were due to close last week, one document short (BER cert from the local authority)
    If that comes we can close. Our bank (KBC) have confirmed we are ready to draw down. We cant without the cert though. But even with the cert the floor store we were using has closed, the delivery of kitchen appliances wont happen either.

EA are utterly useless. Once they get the deposit they are virtually unreachable. We have been trying to rush this through for over a week because we were concerned this would happen. All up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

paul-2008 wrote: »

its also a quality of life thing in a way, say you save a hundred k, thats another hundred k in interest over a 30-35 year loan. Its money you can spend on other things, holiday , car , kids education etc... if you are currently paying market rent in dublin etc, the buying option is a bit different...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,993 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jrosen wrote: »
    the floor store we were using has closed, the delivery of kitchen appliances wont happen either.

that is my worry now.
    Floors due to go down next week.
    Some deliveries due the end of this week.

Good chance neither happen. We spoke to the floors people today confirming next week, and its still going ahead but things can change very quickly over the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭SwordofLight

So are the banks even giving mortgage offers at the moment or are they going to freeze everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

fliball123 wrote: »
    They would also have to contend with not being able to get a loan either even if prices went down.

Exactly.

We bought just under 2 years ago knowing that there was a chance of a recession a few years down the line, but there's never a right time. If the economy tanks then it'll be very hard to get a mortgage even if the prices are 50% of what they are now, and the rates won't be great on them. Negative equity only counts if you're hoping to sell and move on in the next decade, otherwise its just a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

You never know even next week, but I just had a mortgage application with EBS approved Friday and am waiting on the paperwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

road_high wrote: »
    If it were me I'd let them at it. Chances are you may get a better house for less money going forward. They'll probably come back biting your hand off in a few days.

Tbh I'd say they'd just go with the other offer and go sale agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

So are the banks even giving mortgage offers at the moment or are they going to freeze everything

If we really are 3 weeks behind Italy with the virus, things are going to change a lot over here. Yes banks will pull the plug on new mortgages as they will be asked to extend support to a lot of businesses for the near future

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭randoplh134

Exactly this and never trust an EA, especially in times like these, they will try get as much as possible before the inevitable crash.

Exactly.

We bought just under 2 years ago knowing that there was a chance of a recession a few years down the line, but there's never a right time. If the economy tanks then it'll be very hard to get a mortgage even if the prices are 50% of what they are now, and the rates won't be great on them. Negative equity only counts if you're hoping to sell and move on in the next decade, otherwise its just a number.

The financially prudent have always got mortgage approval, even in the depths of a financial crisis.

I'm not selling a property right now but a buddy of mine viewed a property 8 days ago and the EA has contacted him today to confirm his bid was accepted.

Asking price was 475k, bid was 425k. There is desperation in the air already from some sellers.

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    If we really are 3 weeks behind Italy with the virus, things are going to change a lot over here. Yes banks will pull the plug on new mortgages as they will be asked to extend support to a lot of businesses for the near future

Not true, they will still approve mortgages but at a reduced volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'm not selling a property right now but a buddy of mine viewed a property 8 days ago and the EA has contacted him today to confirm his bid was accepted.

Asking price was 475k, bid was 425k. There is desperation in the air already from some sellers.

I'd ring him back and offer 350

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Tbh I'd say they'd just go with the other offer and go sale agreed.

That’s making two assumptions- the offer is actually bona fide and that the buyers will actually come up with the cash. Which in the current climate there is a distinct possibility that they won’t. This has very quickly become a buyers markets so don’t panic at all and hang tight.

Very telling alright- a bird in the hand though...

I'd ring him back and offer 350

Yes I think I’d withdraw the bid and either offer lower or walk away. These people aren’t there to be your friends and it’s business

• Advertisement

Yes I think I’d withdraw the bid and either offer lower or walk away. These people aren’t there to be your friends and it’s business

Agreed, encountered so many smug EAs during 2017-2019 that had a very short memory, i don't take delight in their misfortunes to come but you're completely right this is business after all.

Advertisement