Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Football Manager 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Sin City wrote: »
    First time in my new load that they have decided on a hard Brexit
    so from next year every non UK player will need a work permit

It's always a hard brexit in any of my saves. Still in 2017 with my game and nothing has come up yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Mc Love wrote: »
    It's always a hard brexit in any of my saves. Still in 2017 with my game and nothing has come up yet

Iv had a load of soft exits
    my first hard Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

First time in my new load that they have decided on a hard Brexit
    so from next year every non UK player will need a work permit

It's very annoying not to be able to sign every promising Spain/France player for 1m a pop

It's very annoying not to be able to sign every promising Spain/France player for 1m a pop

Ill know all about it now next season

Goof non UK Regens are gonna be hard to come by

Burton wont sign the next Mesi :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Ill know all about it now next season

Goof non UK Regens are gonna be hard to come by

Burton wont sign the next Mesi :(

Signing them isn't the trouble but getting good players who can be turned into home grown players turned out to be difficult enough ~10 years into my career

• Advertisement

Signed an unreal young winger on loan from Arsenal and I'm in his favourite personnel and he came to us in League One but wont come back on loan to us in the championship. Very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

After 5 successful seasons with Cork City I moved on and took over Everton in the Championship,joined them with 13 games left in the season and lying in 13th lost the first game but have been unbeaten since in the league and have climbed the table to 4th place and now in the hunt for an automatic promotion place and in the quarter final of the FA Cup

Few players handed wanted to move to a bigger club so I have them all lined up for transfers when the window opens and have gone with the young players from the u23s and so far so good

West Ham just stole my director of football
    My assistant manager retired
    But my Burton Albion team just won the Fa cup

Europe here we come

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I've been trying to figure out a team to try, and I think I've landed on Roma.

I want a team that's struggling financially, encourages buying youth, has some cash to bring in a few but has a good few players I'm aware of.

Looking through Roma's squad, I feel like I know the entire first team, but they are also getting on in age, which is perfect for a long term "Replace everyone with kids" approach. I kind of want a second tier team who might have to sell players, but I want to turn them into a financial powerhouse over a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Has anyone ever seen a decent Ireland team in this? They're currently 74th in my rankings (Oct 23) with Chris Hughton in charge. A few months ago they were 93rd and in the last 2 years the highest ranking was 70 after spending 3 years in the 50 to 60 something zone. Starting keeper plays for Doncaster in League 2, and striker is Glen McAuley who has 1 goal in 11 games.

I ask because I saw the same in last year's game and the only difference was that, as Dundalk manager, I got two class youth players in my 2nd season who I was able to rely on when I took over as Ireland boss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Have been playing this after skipping the last couple of years (the first such skip since CM2).
    Started with Celtic. Having the Celtic problem of running away with domestic league and cup but every year I'm 3rd in the champions league group stage and then knocked out in the next 1-2 rounds of the europa league.

My team is : Rajkevic (sp), Darmian, Bartley, Simunevic, Tierney, Ntcham, Delph, Kluivert, Armstrong, Sinclair, Dembele .. in a 4 2 3 1 formation. Subs are the aging reserves essentially (Berbatov, Young, Carrick, Lescott), mixed with youth.

I signed the likes of Dembele to 7 year contracts (4 years + club option of 3 year extension) to ward off suitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

jut bought this and information overload, christ. i need to farm off half the **** to my assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Promoted to the Premier League via the play offs with Everton,youngster Stuart Clarkson who is tipped to be the next big thing went on a mad run of scoring goals that Ronaldo and Messi would be proud of :D

irishgeo wrote: »
    jut bought this and information overload, christ. i need to farm off half the **** to my assistant.

Still dont like the new scouting screens, very messy. And the team talks seem to have more options this year, so old guides are pretty useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mc Love wrote: »
    Still dont like the new scouting screens, very messy. And the team talks seem to have more options this year, so old guides are pretty useless.

The inbox is just full of players looking for trials when you're on the lower leagues. It's so annoying!

I've brought Regianna from Serie C to Serie B in one season and we sit top half of the table in 6th. We're almost half way through the season so we probably won't be relegated. Avoiding relegation was the aim for the season.

Its funny, thats what the board wants us to avoid relegation too, but i do get annoyed at getting beaten when i know we should be winning games easily

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Just got hard brexit announced in my second season with Sunderland (fighting off prem relegation). Is the best bet to hoover up as much foreign talent ASAP and just make a load of delayed payments?

Some of thosetrialists are handy
    I picked up a Kosovan international as a free transfer
    balling winning midfielder and can deputize as a RB

paying him peanuts too

Though now Im in Europe I can hopefully attract some pulling power

Burton Albion for Europa Cup
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

hots wrote: »
    Just got hard brexit announced in my second season with Sunderland (fighting off prem relegation). Is the best bet to hoover up as much foreign talent ASAP and just make a load of delayed payments?
    What's the difference/how do you recognise hard brexit?

Mine was announced but hasnt happened yet. I was told there was a quota of foreign players to be announced.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    What's the difference/how do you recognise hard brexit?

Mine was announced but hasnt happened yet. I was told there was a quota of foreign players to be announced.

I got all european players will now require a work permit, except those already in the country.

hots wrote: »
    I got all european players will now require a work permit, except those already in the country.

Those in the country will require a WP when they renegotiate their contract

They mighty Burton Albion have made it to the knock out stages of the Euro Cup
    Surely I should have a statue erected outside of the Pireilli stadium for for my accomplishments :D

Knowing my luck Ill probably loose and get the sack

What a fickle world us FM managers live in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

What should I be looking out for in an Aerobic coach.

What should I be looking out for in an Aerobic coach.

It always used to be DDM (Discipline, D? ,Motivation) + Fitness for the two fitness stats, not sure if anything has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Won the league by 11 points in the end.
    Lost 5 games in total, lost 4 in 6 in March after terrible run of injury’s and susoebsions.
    Had 39 points to spare over the team in 6th.
    Had a playoff place secured by February

All my loanes have contracts expiring now, hopefully I can get them signed up, just waiting on next years budget

Board have already extended my contract twice this session, once at xmas and now after we got promoted

League 2 here we come!!!

Haven’t played at all in 5 weeks.
    Had a real session last 2 nights

It’s half way in my first season in L2 sitting 6th, 4 points off the leaders, 3 teams get automatic promotion so would love to get back to back promotions

Media prediction this year was bottom - board have me as untouchable - I’ve been offered interviews for championship clubs but rejected them all as I’m onto something special here

One thing that bugs me is last years top goal scorer was available on a free transfer he rejected me for another L2 team who offered him less money than I did and he’s only played once this season - what a waste as he could have been a real legend here

As the title race hots up it seems to be a race between United and City for the title
    Burton sitting in 5th place 5 games to go
    6 points separating 3rd from 7th
    Is the Champions League beckoning for Burton or will we fall to mediocrity

Injuries to my best players out for the rest of the Season

But the mighty Marvin Sordell is back in action so anything is possible now

An away trip to Spurs for my game in hand , a daunting task as spurs are trying to break into the top two and will want to get a result against me

Can we weather the storm?

Tune in next time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Just finished 7th in the Premiership in my Luton game. Delighted as we were predicted to finish bottom & 8 of my regular 11 were with me in the Championship for a couple years. Not sure if we're gonna get European football as the FA Cup final is United vs Sheffield Wednesday, if Wednesday are runners-up I'm not sure whether they get the final spot or if I will.

One annoying thing however is that our new stadium is finished during the summer. We were renting a rebuilt White Hart Lane, as the season went on we regularly had between 27-32k in attendance & we had 19,000 season ticket holders. New stadium only has 17,000 seats & cost £24m to build, which required a loan as we were on Championship finances when it was confirmed.

EDIT: United won, we're heading to European qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Haven’t played at all in 5 weeks.
    Had a real session last 2 nights

It’s half way in my first season in L2 sitting 6th, 4 points off the leaders, 3 teams get automatic promotion so would love to get back to back promotions

Media prediction this year was bottom - board have me as untouchable - I’ve been offered interviews for championship clubs but rejected them all as I’m onto something special here

One thing that bugs me is last years top goal scorer was available on a free transfer he rejected me for another L2 team who offered him less money than I did and he’s only played once this season - what a waste as he could have been a real legend here

Had a 5 hour blast when I got home, managed to get to end of the season, finished 2nd, the team in 1st ran away with it by 11 points

Back to back promotions :)

Now to convert my loans to permanents

• Advertisement

Lower league teams Iv found sucess with a director of football to get me signings
    Some have been amazing including one regen who in my second season has been outstanding - and dirt cheap. I offered Jese Rodriguez an improved contract of €10 k per month

In saying that y director of football also has no concept of money

He can bid absurd amounts of money for an average player too so might need to scrutinize his signings before you finalise them

I think its time I upgrade my DOF

I usally never play with them but Burton had one when I took over or was recommended I sign one cant remember which. Though it was really when I got to the prem he decided to shine

Advertisement