Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Updated Starting Out Guide for Motorcyclists (20/10/2013)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

job seeker wrote: »
    A friend of mine got the catagories of the notorbike, scooter etc. when he paid 35 euro for the trailer licence.. how did this work?

He must have a pre-2006 theory test on file and maintained those categories by either continuing to renew B and W or by passing the practical test (which he did, otherwise he wouldn't be applying for BE). Having the 'type A' DTT means he can add all the group 1 categories without the need for an AM DTT. The cost of adding categories is the same no matter how many new categories you add. If he had a post 2006 theory test on file he would have had to complete the AM DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I know it may or may not have been answered but does anyone know how they landed on 50Kw for the A license ? Was it just an figure pulled out of the sky?

I see there is tolerances for thinks such as weight even tolerances for Cubic Capacity but nothing on the KW.

My bike has a 49Kw Power 645 CC and Weight of 220Kg. It is plenty powerful for Touring across the continent but 1kw under this random figure and its 'out' of for the A license. It makes no sense to me.

Does anyone know how they arrived at that figure with Zero Tolerance ? why not 45Kw for example ?

DL650 Vstrom FYI. Just interested to hear some view points on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm transferring a UK car license over to a motorbike license. I'm trying to figure out if I need to sit the theory test given I did mine in the North back in 2004.

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm transferring a UK car license over to a motorbike license. I'm trying to figure out if I need to sit the theory test given I did mine in the North back in 2004.

If you have UK full entitlements for bikes they will be exchangeable. It may be be possible that you have A1 and AM. These are common on UK exchanges. If you don't or if you do and you want to get onto bigger bikes then you will have to complete and Irish theory test, an A learner permit and go for IBT etc.

However, you won't need to exchange your full UK entitlements in order to apply for an A learner permit in Ireland but you will have to register your full foreign licence on applying to the NDLS for your A learner permit. You can go as far as passing your A test and then applying for a foreign exchange for your car and add your new A entitlements at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Cheers mate.

Expensive carry on this biking isn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I did a wee video on some tips from insuring a motorbike in the last year or so. Hopefully folks going down that path find some of the tips useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcKWJAeWVX8

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭the galway secret

Is the IBT training for motorcycles only or does this include mopeds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Is the IBT training for motorcycles only or does this include mopeds

Mopeds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I have a full licence AM and B

I am after getting a vintage Honda 50 working and does my AM licence cover me for
    a Honda 50 ? looking at the website it's only up to 49cc

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

SCOL wrote: »
    I have a full licence AM and B

I am after getting a vintage Honda 50 working and does my AM licence cover me for
    a Honda 50 ? looking at the website it's only up to 49cc

No 'AM' does not cover a Honda 50 as it can exceed 45km.

AM = Max 50cc max speed 45km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Quick question

Do I need to do a theory test for a bike licence. I've a full car licence since 2004, didn't do a theory test for that as it didn't exist.
    I also have learner permit cat C for truck that I did theory test for.
    also at mid 30s, can I apply straight off for the large bike permit?
    All that is currently on my licence is AM, B and W.

mickdw wrote: »
    Quick question

Do I need to do a theory test for a bike licence. I've a full car licence since 2004, didn't do a theory test for that as it didn't exist.
    I also have learner permit cat C for truck that I did theory test for.
    also at mid 30s, can I apply straight off for the large bike permit?
    All that is currently on my licence is AM, B and W.

Short answer: Yes, in your case you do. It's a separate test.

And yes, you should go for the full A straight up.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

I hold a learner permit for category A which I've had since 2012. I'm getting around to organising my test now only to be told that I cannot take the test in this category based on the reply below from the rsa:

"Category A in 2012 was limited to a 25Kw motorbike, as you completed your IBT on a 25Kw motorcycle your IBT Certificate only covers you up to 25Kw.

As you now wish to undertake a driving test in Category A(Unrestricted) which has a minimum power output of 50Kw the Certificate you hold does not cover you for this Category.

You will have to complete Progression Module 5 before you can take the driving test in Category A.

However, you IBT Certificate will cover you for a Category A2 test(20Kw – 35Kw
    )"

Does this mean a category A learner permit from 2012 is actually only a category A2 learner permit in 2016. I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Chiorino wrote: »
    I hold a learner permit for category A which I've had since 2012. I'm getting around to organising my test now only to be told that I cannot take the test in this category based on the reply below from the rsa:

"Category A in 2012 was limited to a 25Kw motorbike, as you completed your IBT on a 25Kw motorcycle your IBT Certificate only covers you up to 25Kw.

As you now wish to undertake a driving test in Category A(Unrestricted) which has a minimum power output of 50Kw the Certificate you hold does not cover you for this Category.

You will have to complete Progression Module 5 before you can take the driving test in Category A.

However, you IBT Certificate will cover you for a Category A2 test(20Kw – 35Kw
    )"

Does this mean a category A learner permit from 2012 is actually only a category A2 learner permit in 2016. I'm confused.

The short answer is yes but! You don't need to apply for another learner permit to do the unrestricted module 5 ibt as you already have it. You will however need to give all your details to your instructor so he/she can obtain a confirmation code that will go on your new ibt certificate.
    I presume you are over 24 so once you have the extra ibt module done then you will be able to take your test for the full A. Just note that the test must be done on a bike that is over 595cc over 50 Kw and at least 175kg.

Roadskill wrote: »
    The short answer is yes but! You don't need to apply for another learner permit to do the unrestricted module 5 ibt as you already have it. You will however need to give all your details to your instructor so he/she can obtain a confirmation code that will go on your new ibt certificate.
    I presume you are over 24 so once you have the extra ibt module done then you will be able to take your test for the full A. Just note that the test must be done on a bike that is over 595cc over 50 Kw and at least 175kg.

Guy from the RSA actually rang me just after I posted this and told me something similar to this except he recommended I sit the A2 test and if I then do the module 5 IBT within two years of passing the test, I can upgrade to the A licence without sitting another test. My head hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Guy from the RSA actually rang me just after I posted this and told me something similar to this except he recommended I sit the A2 test and if I then do the module 5 IBT within two years of passing the test, I can upgrade to the A licence without sitting another test. My head hurts.

If you do the test for category A2 you must hold the full licence for at least 2 years before you can move up to the A by completing module 5 not within 2 years.

Out of curiosity, what age are you and which category(s) do you currently have on your learner permit? Presumably you renewed your learner permit at some stage possibly got A2 instead?

If you're over 24, I don't see why it would be better to not go whole hog and complete module 5 and go for the unrestricted A. If you're still under 24 then there might be more merit to going for the A2 now.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what age are you and which category(s) do you currently have on your learner permit? Presumably you renewed your learner permit at some stage possibly got A2 instead?

If you're over 24, I don't see why it would be better to not go whole hog and complete module 5 and go for the unrestricted A. If you're still under 24 then there might be more merit to going for the A2 now.

No, I'm over 24 and my learner permit shows A1, A2 and A.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In that case, go for an A IBT, and then A test.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    In that case, go for an A IBT, and then A test.

Yes. Anything else is just more work later on.

Another thing to remember is that the A category on the permit is not currently valid in the absence of IBT, so it should be stated that test riding A category bikes is a no no.

In other news, you shouldn't have the '70 GB' notation on your permit as permits are only valid in the country they're issued and can't be exchanged abroad. It carried across from your exchanged full licence in error. Dopes.

You should also bear in mind that because you're moving onto 993 for category A (third and subsequent learner permit) you'll have to have a test booking for the A category (and BE too, unless you omit the category from your new permit). You will be able to apply for the A test but you can't be issued a date until you get the A IBT. Be very specific in the NDLS office that you wish to retain the A learner category and you have a test booking. Otherwise they might try to 'do you a favour' and leave you with A1 and A2 only. It will also be a 1 year learner permit this time.

Yes. Anything else is just more work later on.

Another thing to remember is that the A category on the permit is not currently valid in the absence of IBT, so it should be stated that test riding A category bikes is a no no.

In other news, you shouldn't have the '70 GB' notation on your permit as permits are only valid in the country they're issued and can't be exchanged abroad. It carried across from your exchanged full licence in error. Dopes.

You should also bear in mind that because you're moving onto 993 for category A (third and subsequent learner permit) you'll have to have a test booking for the A category (and BE too, unless you omit the category from your new permit). You will be able to apply for the A test but you can't be issued a date until you get the A IBT. Be very specific in the NDLS office that you wish to retain the A learner category and you have a test booking. Otherwise they might try to 'do you a favour' and leave you with A1 and A2 only. It will also be a 1 year learner permit this time.

Thanks for that. Just so happens that I've gotten my renewed (third) learner permit and guess what, the only bike category listed is A, nothing else.

Thanks for that. Just so happens that I've gotten my renewed (third) learner permit and guess what, the only bike category listed is A, nothing else.

You'd be within your rights to call the NDLS and complain. With regard to the 'categories required' section being on the form, the NDLS agent is meant to determine your status and your requirements and tick the form on your behalf. It seems to me that they weren't listening or understanding. They shouldn't have left you without valid learner category.

Just to update you folks, no end in sight yet. After a month of me chasing them, NDLS came back to say that as far as they are concerned I'm OK on the A licence. The RSA do not agree. Now the whole thing is being escalated so that both organisations will have to agree between each other what exactly I can drive. I've had to cancel one test date already.

Just to update you folks, no end in sight yet. After a month of me chasing them, NDLS came back to say that as far as they are concerned I'm OK on the A licence. The RSA do not agree. Now the whole thing is being escalated so that both organisations will have to agree between each other what exactly I can drive. I've had to cancel one test date already.

The RSA are the paymaster and set the rules for the NDLS so I'd be more surprised if the NDLS tried to dig in.

EDIT: RSA

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Vologda69

The NDLS are the paymaster and set the rules for the NDLS so I'd be more surprised if the NDLS tried to dig in.

Yes the RSA calls the shots almost all of the time. They say jump, and NDLS say how high. So it seems likely that RSA will decide that one.

Vologda69 wrote: »
    Yes the RSA calls the shots almost all of the time. They say jump, and NDLS say how high. So it seems likely that RSA will decide that one.

Doh! Slip of the tongue. You're right. Fixed my post. Agree 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Two questions general really.

On the full licence test, can you keep the clutch leaver in when stopped at lights or should go neutral?

Is the Honda Duaville 650 okay to take the A test on I am assuming it's big enoght and will be okay?

TallGlass wrote: »
    Two questions general really.

On the full licence test, can you keep the clutch leaver in when stopped at lights or should go neutral?

Is the Honda Duaville 650 okay to take the A test on I am assuming it's big enoght and will be okay?

Don't think clutch matters, once you're pulling off handy enough.

Deauville 650 isn't suitable for any test. Engine too big for the A2 without restriction, and the bike is too heavy for the engine to be A cat (by a tiny hair).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Don't think clutch matters, once you're pulling off handy enough.

Deauville 650 isn't suitable for any test. Engine too big for the A2 without restriction, and the bike is too heavy for the engine to be A cat (by a tiny hair).

Thanks, shít. I had a feeling looking at the power/weight on the log book that it might cause an issue with the Deauville, guessing I will need to rent a school bike? I'm fairly handy at switching between cars dunno if the same could be said about bikes! Should have just splashed the cash and got a FZ6.

Advertisement