Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kickstarter-Boardgames.

• 05-06-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Has anybody backed any boardgames on kickstarter?.

I backed Xia; Legends of a Drift System ,as I liked the game review and the Stretch goals offered.
    I also like the game Canterbury but reckoned I would wait for the public availability as I was not impressed with the Stretch goals offered

Kickstarter Boardgames Link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/tabletop%20games?ref=sidebar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Looked at one or two, but tbh I'm more of a buy it now sort of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fengol

I'm usually put off by the insanely high European shipping costs more than anything.

However, should I find something that looks decent and offers reasonable shipping, I'll back it. So far there's only been a couple though.

'Walk the Plank' and 'Archon: Glory and Machination'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Fengol wrote: »
    I'm usually put off by the insanely high European shipping costs more than anything.

Yeah I know what you saying,but what I like in kickstarter is the different levels you can pick include delivery.Mine worked out at €80.00 for the game including the extra strech goals and delivery.Looking at the component quality the games shops will probaly charge €80.00.
    Time will tell.........

Also now a few websites offer free post for orders over €100.These are good if you buy a couple of games between yourself and a friend etc.

Boardgames.ie and Uplay.it are two that offer free delivery over €100.00 ,as far as I know.

Yeah I know what you saying,but what I like in kickstarter is the different levels you can pick include delivery.Mine worked out at €80.00 for the game including the extra strech goals and delivery.Looking at the component quality the games shops will probaly charge €80.00.
    Time will tell.........

Yeah I actually think the Xia prices are reasonable. I've been tempted to back it myself. But unsure as to how much play it would get since my game group already has Eclipse in its rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I've gotten Sedition Wars and I'm waiting on Zombicide Season 2, Dungeon Roll and Coup to arrive.

Shipping costs have definitely gone up but a lot of projects have far cheaper shipping for 4/6/10 packs of the game. This tends to bring the price back down to what I consider reasonable. You just need to find some people to agree to go in with you, be willing to try your hand at selling them on or decide that everyone you know is getting boardgames for Christmas this year.

• Advertisement

The reprint of Wok Star is up on Kickstarter. Not a bad price for EU delivery too.
    I've already backed this one.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/wok-star

Like the look of this one, but no way would I pay 1500.00.
    Maybe that's an error ,cos I can't find it on kickstarter yet.
    Small World's Designer Edition is a spare-no-expense version of Small World the board game that will ship in 2014; this version of the game is true to Philippe Keyaerts' original wooden prototype.
    The Designer Edition will feature:
    - 307 deluxe wooden tokens covering all races from the base game and its Cursed!, Grand Dames and Be Not Afraid expansions + the Lost Tribes
    - each race will comes in its own individual, lavishly illustrated box
    - the banners, special powers and markers that complement the deluxe tokens will all be heat-printed on wood, matching the tokens neatly
    - the victory coins will all be distinctive metal coins specially forged for Small World
    - the maps will be super-sized copies of Small World's 2-5 player maps, and include a new 6 player map specially designed by Philippe Keyaerts
    - the Dragon, the Catapult, the 2 Heroes will all be represented by custom resin miniatures
    - the new "Pocket Encyclopedia" from the Kickstarter campaign
    The Designer Edition is a true collector's edition. There will be a single production run made, that will include the Designer's Oath copies + a limited number of copies for the retail channel. Days of Wonder doesn't know the exact number yet, because this will partly depend on the success of the current Kickstarter campaign, but once they're gone, they'll be gone!

kickstarter.http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/140135/small-world-designer-edition

or maybe its cancelled :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Looks like it's the Small World 2, with the Designer's Oath backer.
    Finished up April last year:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/daysofwonder/small-world-2-the-return

Looks like it's the Small World 2, with the Designer's Oath backer.
    Finished up April last year:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/daysofwonder/small-world-2-the-return

Yeah damo ,found it at the very end.I thought it was digital only.Thks
    We are still in the early design stages of the Designer Edition; Back us now and we'll work hard to make your own copy even nicer...
    Living outside the USA? Add + $ 50 in shipping fees to your pledge.

By adding $ 320 to your pledge now, you'll receive a Kickstarter exclusive version of our Designer Edition, that will include:

•A deluxe wooden version of the 3 new Races & Special Powers in the Kickstarter Backers Bonus Pack
    •A signed plaque - numbered and engraved in your name
    •Shipment 3 months ahead of the actual retail release
    •An $ 80 discount off the $ 400 retail price of the Designer Edition

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

Just backed Kingdom Builder and Convicted.

Got early bird $70 on Kingdom Builder seems like good value. The Convicted looks a good game, interesting theme to it.

• Advertisement

Damn that "eye candy" and my sweet tooth.:mad:

I just pledged :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funforge/tokaido-collectors-edition

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Damn that "eye candy" and my sweet tooth.:mad:

I just pledged :)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funforge/tokaido-collectors-edition

Samurai level I assume, given your name? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Backed the Heroquest Anniversary set, just hope it doesnt get shut down again.

Recently backed the next Super Dungeon Explore expansion/standalone set, Forgotten King. Now to just get some more games of the base set in and paint the figures soon.

Samurai level I assume, given your name? ;)

Yeah Damo, it had to be samurai lvl, prepainted minis get me every time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Backed Catacombs recently. I came across this interesting looking game a good while ago but it was out of print. This kickstarter is a new edition with new artwork and some rules tweaks but seems to be basically the same. Basically it's a dungeon bash game but instead of moving your guy so many squares you flick the disk similar to Pitchcar or Crokinole.

It has EU distribution and relatively cheap shipping too. I've seen a few campaigns that have the EU Friendly banner now and that's a development I'm very glad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

After playing a prototype a few weeks ago at a games day here in the Netherlands I backed Pirates! Card Game on Kickstarter. It was good fun, the creator's surname makes me smile every time I see it :D and thought £23 was pretty good value. It's reached its target so not too much of a punt (i.e. it will turn up). There's a Dice Tower preview on YouTube as well.

Has anyone backed this one?.

pic2331641_md.jpg

The minatures look amazing in this one ,but not sure that the gameplay is for me.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/rum-and-bones?ref=category

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The Resistance expansions. 4 copies on the way including all the promos. The hilarious thing is that all 4 of us play in the same play group :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

with the current shenanigans that is prodos games & the alien vs predator licence I would personally be very wary of backing a game on kickstarter. A complete derth of information despite countless emails & almost a year later with having received nothing.

Having watched a few reviews on the gameplay ,I regret not backing this one ,but at the time i did'nt think I would like it based on the theme(Cowboys and Cthulhu ).
    Its getting great reviews and been touted as the replacement for descent 2.0.

• Advertisement

This one seems to be flying.So far it has $1625380.00 out of a goal $80000.Love the minatures and the idea of multiple boards for the different senarios.

I'm very tempted ,pity I'm smashed.:(

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/conan

I was determined to buy no more boardgames for a few months ,as I have already gone over my limit. Damn Eric Lang!..... I gave in and backed this based on Lang's past boardgames and the kickstarter exclusives included.
    After reading the rule book and watching the game been played , I could'nt say no. :mad:

pic2529504_md.jpg

A game I have been after for the last few years .Pulled the trigger on this new Kickstarter edition.Ends in July so that gives me time to get the money together.:)

So far I myself hav'nt had any problems with my pledges on Kickstarter. Just some info to show the other side of kickstarter.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced today they had settled with a crowdfunding campaign creator after they determined that backer money had been spent on personal expenses. This was the very first FTC legal action against a crowdfunding campaign but it strikes an ominous note for all crowdfunding platforms. This specific project occurred on Kickstarter.
    The Defendant, Erik Chevalier, set a funding goal to raise $35,000 but closed the Kickstarter campaign at over $122,000. The project was for a board game called The Doom that Came to Atlantic City. Board Games have engendered multiple, highly successful, rewards based crowdfunding campaigns in the past.....

Full Story http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2015/06/69358-ftc-settles-on-crowdfunding-scam-kickstarter-creator-spent-money-on-personal-expenses/

Now that computer is working again I can catch up a bit.Since I last posted.....

Pulled the trigger on these two

pic2529184_t.jpg

GTSCOL-700x380.jpg

I am seeking professional help and I am attending my first BA(boardgame anonymous) meeting next month. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Robot Turtles for the kids.
    It is pretty good.

Starting on Kickstarter on 29th.......
    pic2648302_t.jpg
    This is one that I like the look of ,but I will have to have a long think about it,as IMO there are just too many great boardgames and just not enough time.
    Like that it has solo play.It reminds me a bit of a video game in that you can level up and save your progress.

1000 mins + gameplay :)

http://www.the7thcontinent.com/en/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

pic2648302_t.jpg
    This is one that I like the look of ,but I will have to have a long think about it,as IMO there are just too many great boardgames and just not enough time.
    Like that it has solo play.It reminds me a bit of a video game in that you can level up and save your progress.

Looks interesting, thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

pic2648302_t.jpg

I will look into this, always looking for something with solo play

• Advertisement

Only started a couple of hours ago.
    Expected to break all kickstarter records and rake in the cash. Nearly 1000 collectors editions sold already.

Advertisement