Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondhand bookshops, post details here

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gudwan

cloud493 wrote: »
    I love chapters <3 do they have loyalty cards?

They don't, as far as I know, unfortunately.

By the way, what second-hand stores give the best prices for books in Dublin? I've a few I need to unload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

For anyone in the south west, there are now a couple of shops in Bantry. One is part of the "Bantry Bookshop" (which is mainly focused on new books), and seems to have mainly fiction. The other one is called "Redmond Devereux", and is at the town end of the Glengarriff Road. The location isn't ideal, but the place is well worth checking out; there's a spacious ground floor area with another decent space upstairs. Stockwise, the vast majority is second hand, and the range of books is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shahkanwal

i have CFA part 1 and 2 second hand books, please contact if any one wants to buy this part 1 (cfa institute) = 90 euros for 6 books part 2 (Kaplan) = 140 euros for 7 books shahkanwal@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Fantastic new charity shop in dun drum in dublin. It's on the main street and all the books are 50c! Got some great bargains there!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dclewis

Whats a good second hand shop in Dublin that would be able to buy books off me. It's mainly fantasy books.
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 abmiller99

Banner Books

Parliament Street
    Ennistymon, County Clare
    Ireland

http://www.bannerbooks.ie

This small bookshop, centrally located in Ennistymon, is steadily adding books to their online catalogue. They also host poetry readings and book clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

dclewis wrote: »
    Whats a good second hand shop in Dublin that would be able to buy books off me. It's mainly fantasy books.
    Thanks in advance

Try:

Chapters on Abbey street
    The SU Bookshop, TCD (over the shop, in to the left after the front arch)
    The Secret Book and Record Shop on Wicklow Street (beside Tower Records)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

Fooz wrote: »
    Most of the charity shops (Gorta, Concern, Enable Ireland, etc) will have a small selection of books but are worth checking out. I regularly get books in my local charity shop (a Mrs. Quinn's for the blind) for 50 cent each! Once I finish them I donate them back.

I used to go regularly to the Mrs Quin shop in Inchicore when I worked in that area. That was over a year ago and they had a great load of books, all priced at a euro. Maybe they are 50 cent now? Must check next time I'm over.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

I was in Barnardos in Rathmines the other day. Books were 50c each or 5 for €1. Not a huge selection, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Oxfam bookshop in Ennis, and An Sceal Eile in Ennis (lovely place)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Plebian

Solidarity Books 43 Douglas Street Cork (opp. fionnbarras pub) always has a good 2nd hand selection ticking over.

It's an anarchist bookshop so the 2nd hand books can tend towards the political.

http://www.solidaritybooks.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I have a load of books to give away if anyone wants them in Ennis, all kinds - fiction, business, sport, quality would be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saorenza

I was very sad to see Readers in Dun Laoghaire is closing down. I used to frequent it over 20 years ago. I went in there for old times sake last week and came out with 7 books!

Charlie Byrne's is the best in Ireland, IMO - friendly staff and amazing selection. Their warehouse in Oranmore is well worth checking out (opens to the public on Saturdays).

The Oxfam and VdeP shops in Galway city usually have good selections. I like the fact that the selections in the Oxfam shop are often themed and the change the stock regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is there any point trying to sell old books these days, or do you just have to give them away?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Does anyone know of any books shops that do exchanges?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lazylanod

hi guys

i just came across this site dose anyone know anything about them??

thebookshop.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I know they have no contact details other than a mob number and an email, and the first time I've heard of them is a first time poster. Which 9 times out of 10 is the site owner trying to advertise the site. If thats not you, then sorry but its ticks all the boxes.

Incidentally, not putting contact details, is a bit pointless considering a search on the mobile no returns a home brewing site with full contact details, http://www.homebrew.ie/contact-us-2-w.asp Maybe its just coincidence? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I have a lot of books to sell, they're mostly non fiction and there are decent collections of Irish and American Theatre and Political books. Can anyone recommend somewhere that would buy them in bulk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Can't see it mentioned, but the old Laser Video in Ranelagh's now a second and new bookshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

Recently visited a new 2nd bookstore in Kindle, Co. Cork called Prim's Bibliotherapy. Lovely place, nice relaxed atmosphere and a great selection of literature. Found a couple of gems, and nice and cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Recently visited a new 2nd bookstore in Kindle, Co. Cork called Prim's Bibliotherapy. Lovely place, nice relaxed atmosphere and a great selection of literature. Found a couple of gems, and nice and cheap.

Where's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Tralee:

I'll start with the one where I volunteer, called Action Lesotho, in Tralee Shopping Centre - we have a very large non-fiction section, and all schoolbooks are free (though we suggest you make a small donation), all profits go to projects in Africa. The town has dozens of charity shops - Irish Wheelchair Association, Irish Cancer Society, Sue Ryder, Oxfam, Enable, Sera Husky - and they're just the few I can remember offhand that sell books!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Second Reading Australia

I operate a secondhand bookshop in Australia...One of a dying breed. New book shops are doomed with kindles, eBay, and secondhand book shops have to cope with backyarders, markets, eBay, gumtree and other online sellers.
    The secret is to buy cheap and sell cheap that's the only way secondhand book shops will survive. Use it or lose it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Hey guys, I don't know if this is allowed but didn't find anything in the rules about it and it's sort of on topic. Mods can remove if they want.

I don't have a shop but I'm selling lots of books for cheap prices (between 1 and 3 euro-the more you buy the cheaper they get). Most are in good condition and a lot of them are brand new looking. Lots of different stuff-fiction, sports, biography, true crime etc.

Here's the list views:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Non-Fiction books:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I don't know if this is allowed but didn't find anything in the rules about it and it's sort of on topic. Mods can remove if they want.

done.

if you aren't a shop, throw a discrete link to your adverts profile in your signature. If you are a shop, this is shilling, please talk to hello@boards.ie about a verified rep account and/or advertising rates.

cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's one in Kilkenny that use for finding local history stuff, but they have a good variety of books including rare. They now have an online shop. www.bargainbooks.ie

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

New second hand bookshop opened on Main Street Cavan called Candlelight Books. I think it opened in the summer, only been in it once.

Advertisement