Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laptop loses Internet after VPN connection

• 05-08-2020 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭

Working from home, I can connect to our work server with a PPTP VPN connection. However, after a few minutes, my laptop's internet will drop. I thought other devices dropped too so it was my connection as a whole (as my Amazon Alexa could stop playing music at the same time), but just after a long call with Vodafone who say my internet doesn't drop, it's only the laptop that loses connection (which might also add a strain to other devices temporarily).

Vodafone are saying to contact our IT company, our IT company are saying it's on Vodafone.

Anyone any idea? I'm the only one in our company with this issue possibly because I'm the only one on Vodafone, but Vodafone are insisting there's nothing wrong on their side and nothing to change.

Laptop is a Surface Pro 4 if that makes any difference, maybe it's not beefy enough to be able to handle it or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even just something to go back to our IT company with for them to check. I have to assume if the issue was with Vodafone, this would be a known issue given how many working from home with similar setups would also be with Vodafone.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

I would run an ethernet cable from your access point to your work laptop, even loosely just as a test. If you stay connected but Alexi stops intermittently, it could be wifi interference if you're in a built-up area from neighbouring wifi networks (ie) the ones that also appear in your laptops list of wifi networks. If that is true continue using an ethernet cable and think about running it permanently to your home office desk. You can also run network internet connectivity/speed tests with speedtest.net

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I would run an ethernet cable from your access point to your work laptop, even loosely just as a test. If you stay connected but Alexi stops intermittently, it could be wifi interference if you're in a built-up area from neighbouring wifi networks (ie) the ones that also appear in your laptops list of wifi networks. If that is true continue using an ethernet cable and think about running it permanently to your home office desk. You can also run network internet connectivity/speed tests with speedtest.net

Thanks, unfortunately as it's a Surface Pro 4 I have, there's no ethernet port so I can't have a wired connection to the modem. That's why I'm thinking it's a setting on the laptop rather than an issue/setting with the modem or VPN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Penn wrote: »
    Thanks, unfortunately as it's a Surface Pro 4 I have, there's no ethernet port so I can't have a wired connection to the modem. That's why I'm thinking it's a setting on the laptop rather than an issue/setting with the modem or VPN.

Get an ethernet adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

what vpn software are you using , if its windows inbuilt is there an alternative.

PPTP is old hat at this point and isn't very good with split tunnelling or bandwidth management. It's likely that your surface is trying to tunnel all internet traffic over the connection instead of just access to your workplace.

if you have any idea who makes your work firewall they may be able to set you up with a more modern SSL/IPSEC vpn with a client which manages split tunnels and bandwidth limits correctly.

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Get an ethernet adapter?

Cheers, have just ordered one.
    what vpn software are you using , if its windows inbuilt is there an alternative.

PPTP is old hat at this point and isn't very good with split tunnelling or bandwidth management. It's likely that your surface is trying to tunnel all internet traffic over the connection instead of just access to your workplace.

if you have any idea who makes your work firewall they may be able to set you up with a more modern SSL/IPSEC vpn with a client which manages split tunnels and bandwidth limits correctly.

Yeah it's the inbuilt windows one. Unfortunately our IT company pretty much dug their heels in that since it works for everyone else, then what they set up should work and insisted it's therefore an issue with Vodafone. I'll try the wired connection with ethernet adapter as suggested above and also bring it to my folks house as they're on Eir and try it there. Depending on results of those tests, I'll at least have something to go back to our IT company with and tell them to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

What IP range is your home LAN? Does this clash with anything in work?

theteal wrote: »
    What IP range is your home LAN? Does this clash with anything in work?

Not something I can really check (well, the work side of it anyway). I'd be leaving that to the IT co. to figure out if these other workarounds don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Sounds like the connection is using the default gateway on the remote network. If you untick this and connect the vpn, check does it still drop your internet from the laptop?

Unticking this may stop you connecting to what you need to in work and you may need to use static routes to successfully x]use the VPN and the internet at the same time.

Also as pointed out, you may be in the same range as the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Tether it and another device to your mobile phone just to check the VPN connection. That should rule out a problem with the laptop.

antix80 wrote: »
    Tether it and another device to your mobile phone just to check the VPN connection. That should rule out a problem with the laptop.

Just tethered using mobile hotspot and same thing as usual happened; VPN and internet were okay for a few minutes then lost both, then I disconnected the VPN and internet was okay again.

So it definitely seems to be the laptop. Wired connection might fix it, but it does seem to be the laptop itself. I have a PC but can't test it as the VPN isn't set up on it (and I think we were told the laptops/PCs need Windows 10 Pro).

• Advertisement

Just tethered using mobile hotspot and same thing as usual happened; VPN and internet were okay for a few minutes then lost both, then I disconnected the VPN and internet was okay again.

So it definitely seems to be the laptop. Wired connection might fix it, but it does seem to be the laptop itself. I have a PC but can't test it as the VPN isn't set up on it (and I think we were told the laptops/PCs need Windows 10 Pro).

Okay well now I'm f*cking p*ssed off because I just gave setting up the VPN on my home PC a shot anyway just to try it and it works, and keeps a stable connection to the server. Even though our IT company said you can't use that VPN without Windows 10 Pro, which also meant we had to upgrade two of our laptops to Pro because of that.

It means the issue is definitely on the laptop, but I can't find where. Tried checking the Firewall in case it was blocking it on the laptop but settings are the same as the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Okay well now I'm f*cking p*ssed off because I just gave setting up the VPN on my home PC a shot anyway just to try it and it works, and keeps a stable connection to the server. Even though our IT company said you can't use that VPN without Windows 10 Pro, which also meant we had to upgrade two of our laptops to Pro because of that.

It means the issue is definitely on the laptop, but I can't find where. Tried checking the Firewall in case it was blocking it on the laptop but settings are the same as the PC.

do you have any sort of security suite with a firewall installed. I know macafee is a hoore for crippling connections with its stupid "AI based Packet inspection"
    theres a few others like webroot and I think sophos cause somewhat similar issues.

do you have any sort of security suite with a firewall installed. I know macafee is a hoore for crippling connections with its stupid "AI based Packet inspection"
    theres a few others like webroot and I think sophos cause somewhat similar issues.

No, just windows firewall. Server has additonal anti-virus of course but no-one else is having the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Download the free Windows Wifi Analyser app to get a visual on other networks nearby. It could be wifi crosstalk interference.

Advertisement