Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AirBnB Reservation cancelled by host

• 31-07-2020 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I booked a house in Belfast for 2 nights on AIrBnB - it was exactly what we were looking for. My reservation was accepted and I paid in full (I can cancel up to 2 days before hand & get full refund)

4 days later I got a message from the host saying the house had been listed by mistake and it now had long term tenants. He said he could not cancel the booking, so could I do it.

Now I go look in the area and the choice is much restricted

I am really annoyed, but I cant find a way to complain to AirBnB, all the options for raising a dispute just include messaging the owner (which I have). DO I have any comeback on this?

I know I can get the refund, but I have now been forced to rent a smaller apartment at a higher price, so I am a little bit pissed off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Do not cancel from your side! They absolutely can cancel, but it is noted when a host cancels regularly.
    What has actually happened here is that the host has gotten a higher paying sucker, or possibly just a longer staying sucker, and so you're getting the boot.

And they want your airbnb account to be the one that looks like it cancels bookings at the last moment rather than theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

tombrown wrote: »
    I booked a house in Belfast for 2 nights on AIrBnB - it was exactly what we were looking for. My reservation was accepted and I paid in full (I can cancel up to 2 days before hand & get full refund)

4 days later I got a message from the host saying the house had been listed by mistake and it now had long term tenants. He said he could not cancel the booking, so could I do it.

Now I go look in the area and the choice is much restricted

I am really annoyed, but I cant find a way to complain to AirBnB, all the options for raising a dispute just include messaging the owner (which I have). DO I have any comeback on this?

I know I can get the refund, but I have now been forced to rent a smaller apartment at a higher price, so I am a little bit pissed off

No, you don’t have any recourse. I have an Airbnb and have cancelled bookings over the past two months. I changed booking setting from instant booking to request only. If a Host cancels a booking the dates remain blocked off by Airbnb to prevent Hosts from accepting another booking for the same dates. But, Airbnb lifted that restriction for me when I explained that the cancellations were due to Guests coming from outside the State. At the end of the day, a Host can decide who they want to let to as it’s their home.

markfinn wrote: »
    Do not cancel from your side! They absolutely can cancel, but it is noted when a host cancels regularly.
    What has actually happened here is that the host has gotten a higher paying sucker, or possibly just a longer staying sucker, and so you're getting the boot.

And they want your airbnb account to be the one that looks like it cancels bookings at the last moment rather than theirs.

This is incorrect, the dates remain blocked unless the booking cancellation is Covid related.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Dav010 wrote: »
    This is incorrect, the dates remain blocked unless the booking cancellation is Covid related.

But that will not cause any problem for this host as he already has "long term tenants".

emanresu wrote: »
    But that will not cause any problem for this host as he already has long term tenants.

True, but the poster I replied to said the Host would get guests who paid more or stayed longer. If it is gone to tenancy, the Host/Airbnb will not entertain any claim by the op. The op will get a full refund.

The poster told the op not to cancel, but when the Host cancels, the booking is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Try Airbnb support on twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I’ve heard instances of customers cancelling on Airbnb and getting a refund minus the service fee, so whatever you do, do not cancel it yourself.

Reply to the host and explain that they’ll need to cancel on their side. And if they can’t, suggest you will contact Airbnb for a solution.

But do not cancel it yourself. Its likely this host has the property listed on a variety of sites like Homeaway and Booking and they got a better booking through one of them but they don’t want to tarnish their rep with Airbnb by cancelling.

I’m sorry, I’ve just reread the op and saw the Host asked the op to cancel, please disregard all I have posted about Host cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

I messaged the host asking how this could happen and what was the status of a refund and he has not replied so I am concerned of dodgy dealings. The AirBnB Resolution Centre only gives me the option of contacting the host :S

I have sent a DM to the AirBnB twitter account

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I messaged the host asking how this could happen and what was the status of a refund and he has not replied so I am concerned of dodgy dealings. The AirBnB Resolution Centre only gives me the option of contacting the host :S

Make sure they know you have DM'd them, they are normally very quick at responding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

If you cancel after the free cancellation period (24 hrs I think) you will still be charged the airbnb booking fee, so definitely don’t cancel. Airbnb will refund you in full if the host cancels. when I use airbnb, I usually choose the pay in full later option, but if you have already paid in full it may put your mind at rest to know that the host never gets paid until after the first day of a guest’s stay, so at least your money is safe. And do complain immediately to airbnb.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The_Fitz

Happened to me for a house in Lahinch for next week. Their number was provided and I kept hassling them until they cancelled themselves.

They're lying when they say they can't cancel, but tbh should be pretty straight forward for Airbnb to give you the service charge that they hold back when the guest cancels. I assume they can read your messages?

The_Fitz wrote: »
    Happened to me for a house in Lahinch for next week. Their number was provided and I kept hassling them until they cancelled themselves.

They're lying when they say they can't cancel, but tbh should be pretty straight forward for Airbnb to give you the service charge that they hold back when the guest cancels. I assume they can read your messages?

My advice is, get Airbnb Support to deal with this. If you cancel, the host can re-list and accept another booking. You also risk losing the airbnb booking fee. If the host cancels, the dates are blocked on airbnb, so host can’t accept a longer booking which includes your original dates.

TSQ wrote: »
    My advice is, get Airbnb Support to deal with this. If you cancel, the host can re-list and accept another booking. You also risk losing the airbnb booking fee. If the host cancels, the dates are blocked on airbnb, so host can’t accept a longer booking which includes your original dates.

Also, if the host Genuinely has long term tenants, it really shouldnt matter to them if they have to cancel, it wont matter if the dates are blocked on their calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

To update the story:

When the host first asked me to cancel, I sent him a note back asking for clarificaiton & expressign my annoyance, but he did not reply (this was on 31 July) - I had no reply.

In the meantime I booked & paid for an alternative and lodged a complaint with AirBnB via a DM on Twitter; I have chased a few times & they tell me it is being dealt with as a priority, but due to being very busy they haven't been able to update me yet :(

Anyway, yesterday I sent a further note to the host telling him he could cancel and that I had complained to AirBnB; almost immediately he cancelled and sent me this reasoning:

"Sorry Tom I just had a look and realised I could cancel. I don’t use AirBnb often and don’t plan to use it again, it was used last summer and automatically came back on despite me knowing nothing about it. Apologies and I hope u get sorted "

I have no idea if that is just a blag (I would suspect so, being as he never replied to me at all until I told him I had complained)

I got a full refund and a voucher worth 10% of what I paid to spend on an alternative; of course I've already paid, so have no way of using that voucher that expires in September. I have asked AirBnB if they can apply it to the booking I have already paid for.

End of the day, I'm sorted - the 10% voucher is a bonus if it happens, but I'm not that worried; though I am pissed off at what the host did to me.

Advertisement