Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

laser eye surgery

Options
  • 31-05-2020 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭

I looked into getting laser eye surgery last year. had a couple of consultations with Optilase. Basically they told me my eyes were too dry and I have thin retinas. They said I could take drops for a year or two and maybe then try the surgery but the second guy i dealt with at Optilase said he wouldn't do it if he was me.

Has anyone ever heard similar but went on and got it done somewhere else? I would love to get it done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

If you really keen to get it done, get a second opinion from a different consultant, like Wellington Eye clinic, in Sandyford / Beacon Hospital.
    There are different types of Laser Eye Surgery, so maybe a different procedure might be Better suited for you.
    Dry eyes could make it a non runner though, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭MusSpo13

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I looked into getting laser eye surgery last year. had a couple of consultations with Optilase. Basically they told me my eyes were too dry and I have thin retinas. They said I could take drops for a year or two and maybe then try the surgery but the second guy i dealt with at Optilase said he wouldn't do it if he was me.

Has anyone ever heard similar but went on and got it done somewhere else? I would love to get it done.

Get a consultation with another clinic. I had a similar situation, I wasn't suitable for laser eye surgery but I was suitable for lens replacement. I was referred for a consultation at the Mater Private, would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

MusSpo13 wrote: »
    Get a consultation with another clinic. I had a similar situation, I wasn't suitable for laser eye surgery but I was suitable for lens replacement. I was referred for a consultation at the Mater Private, would highly recommend it.

will look into it, thanks for the reply.

did you have dry eyes and a thin cornea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I had a very unusual nightmare last night where I was going blind. I only saw this thread because you (pgj2015) thanked one of my posts just now and I clicked through your profile. Is it a sign? :D

I strongly advise you against laser eye surgery. There are lots of horror stories out there of people going blind or killing themselves because it goes wrong and the pain is insufferable.

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    I had a very unusual nightmare last night where I was going blind. I only saw this thread because you (pgj2015) thanked one of my posts just now and I clicked through your profile. Is it a sign? :D

I strongly advise you against laser eye surgery. There are lots of horror stories out there of people going blind or killing themselves because it goes wrong and the pain is insufferable.

Just my two cents.

How common are the horror stories though? I wonder what percentage of people ever have issues with the surgery. The optician at optilase kind of put me off it though as he said he didn't want to see me ending up with worse eyesight after surgery, i appreciated him being so honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

How common are the horror stories though? I wonder what percentage of people ever have issues with the surgery. The optician at optilase kind of put me off it though as he said he didn't want to see me ending up with worse eyesight after surgery, i appreciated him being so honest.

Yup, I could give you my glowing story of my experience and how 10+ years later I've nearly forgotten I ever needed specs. Thinking back, I don't know why I didn't get it done sooner - it was actually my old man's idea at the time and it turned out he wasn't eligible. It came in at about €1000 after tax back so has easily paid for itself multiple times by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

How common are the horror stories though? I wonder what percentage of people ever have issues with the surgery.

I don't know, not a subject that interests me a great deal. I only replied because of my unusual nightmare and the coincidence of seeing this thread.:D

Good luck with whatever you decide.

https://lasikcomplications.com/

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/laser-eye-surgery-going-in-with-your-eyes-open-1.3537180

https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/news/20180727/lasik-know-the-rewards-and-the-risks

Advertisement