Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Academic reference

• 23-05-2020 7:55pm

I graduated in 2012 and am now applying to do a masters. A requirement of the application however is an academic reference.

How exactly would I go about getting this? I went to UCD and there was a fair amount on my course. I wouldn't have known any lecturers personally. But I can't be the only one whos encountered this situation?

Does anyone know the process for getting an academic reference in these circumstances?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Don't worry that you didn't know them personally. Most lecturers are well used to giving references to students they didn't know/remember/barely spoke to.

Just pick a module you did well in, email the lecturer explaining that you took their module in x in year y achieving a result of z and would they now be be willing to provide a letter of reference to assist in your application to do an MA. Keep it simple, a few sentences. If they agree they may ask for a CV and for details on the course - be clear, tell them what you want/need, don't waste their time.

Don't leave it too late - lecturers get a lot of emails and some aren't very good at answering them and can be very busy. It took me over 2 months to get two references. I'd suggest you request it from more than one so you have a backup. And if you don't get an answer wait a few weeks and email them again asking if they have had time to consider your request.

Don't worry that you didn't know them personally. Most lecturers are well used to giving references to students they didn't know/remember/barely spoke to.

Just pick a module you did well in, email the lecturer explaining that you took their module in x in year y achieving a result of z and would they now be be willing to provide a letter of reference to assist in your application to do an MA. Keep it simple, a few sentences. If they agree they may ask for a CV and for details on the course - be clear, tell them what you want/need, don't waste their time.

Don't leave it too late - lecturers get a lot of emails and some aren't very good at answering them and can be very busy. It took me over 2 months to get two references. I'd suggest you request it from more than one so you have a backup. And if you don't get an answer wait a few weeks and email them again asking if they have had time to consider your request.

This is great! Thanks a mil.

Advertisement