Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Applying for an SNA

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

Whilst it’s truly lovely that your older child is so kind and helpful, it’s not up to her to be a “mini-SNA. “ I’m all for kindness, helping each other etc. but she needs her time too-it shouldn’t all fall to her .

I know she was sat beside that child for 8 weeks I'd say the sna did that so she could rely on my child I think she's a shared sna.
    Every other child in the class change seats once a month and they didn't change my daughter for 2 months.
    Then when she was changed the one who took her place used to give out to the child which is unfair also.
    Life can be cruel I truly believe kids with any additional needs should get a lot more I think someone mentioned it already on this post TLC.
    I'm having an awful time at the moment with my child who was diagnosed hes 3.
    He's off form wakes very grumpy takes a lot of work to snap him out of it. A lot of humouring was mentioned to put him on a sensory diet I didn't even know there was such a thing!
    To regulate him.
    I mentioned to someone else how the day goes and was told leave him cry tho.
    And don't do this for him and don't do that. Leave him wait.
    I thought ok but isn't that like making him worse.
    The whole autism diagnosis is so overwhelming and then you don't even know if your doing the right thing because so much conflicting information!
    Can anyone recommend any good books? I really need to get my head in a book about dealing with autism so I can stay on the right track.

heldel00 wrote: »
    ^^^ yes I have seen children take on a "caring" role that can have a detrimental effect on the "carer". Some can feel under pressure that it is their job to mind them and their own friendships/ playtime can suffer.
    A very admirable quality but make sure your child is happy and not missing out.

She was moved after 8 weeks and now she's just told take that girl to the bathroom every day! I must check in with her again and ask her is it just her being given that job! Today someone vomited 3 times and she was told walk her to the office to be collected by a parent when I heard that I thought ah seriously She's only 8.
    She's such a caring child but she's also very quiet herself and she would never complain. They told me when she was in juniors she's beyond her years and she's not in any way like an old woman it's more her nature she sits and does her work.
    She's amazing with her own brother she is a natural she steps back and follows his lead and he loves her. Other sister then would be a little less patient with him and he won't leave her near him.
    All the classrooms possibly get kids to help out I suppose it creates inclusion and friendships but it should not be to replace an sna

Calhoun wrote: »
    There in lies the rub its a bit of a balance, its also nice when it does happen at times as a little bit of friendship in a fairly hostile environment goes a long way. At the same time there needs to be steps to make sure that the child helping isn't overburdened.

The SNA and teachers i would assume would watch for that.

Yeah I would hope so to be honest that the teacher would watch for that.
    She's so kind natured which is lovely but she wouldn't be assertive.
    My other daughter gets sent on jobs too. Someone had an accident she went. But I'd say they get other kids to do jobs too we just wouldn't hear about those ones. Maybe the teachers aren't allowed assist kids to the bathroom?

Careful with this. SENOs can and do regularly refuse home tuition grant applications if there is an available school place. In this case the SENO is obviously aware of a school place offer in mainstream school.
    I'd discuss with the SENO first to see if he/she would be willing to approve this.

They cannot refuse July provision that's the extra learning
    the child will have some learning and to not regress before sept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

They cannot refuse July provision that's the extra learning
    the child will have some learning and to not regress before sept

Not July Provision but they'll refuse funding for an ASD preschool funded by home tuition scheme if they want to.

• Advertisement

Not July Provision but they'll refuse funding for an ASD preschool funded by home tuition scheme if they want to.

Oh yeah. There is only two playschools early intervention that I'm aware of in cork that accept home tuition.
    And I suppose that would be last resort if the ones on the tiny early intervention list had no spaces.
    I heard great things then about preschool ones that accept home tuition.

I rang one place that accept home tuition and they said apply In August for it so I guess surely if a school place was available you woukdnt need the home tuition one.
    I was also told Transport would be provided for the ones on the list.
    Not the home tuition ones.

I rang one place that accept home tuition and they said apply In August for it so I guess surely if a school place was available you woukdnt need the home tuition one.
    I was also told Transport would be provided for the ones on the list.
    Not the home tuition ones.

Our SENO told us last year not to worry she'd approve home tuition for a second preschool year. She didn't tell us that she was off the whole month of August though.
    Got it approved eventually after some rigmarole

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Our SENO told us last year not to worry she'd approve home tuition for a second preschool year. She didn't tell us that she was off the whole month of August though.
    Got it approved eventually after some rigmarole

Valuable lesson in this you always try get stuff in writing. I would say that was a stressful month.

Valuable lesson in this you always try get stuff in writing. I would say that was a stressful month.

Very. My SENOs manager said he'd sign it if I got x, y and z sent in. I got a letter from her EIT psychologist recommending that particular type of preschool.
    In the end it was just left of my SENOS desk for her to sign when she got back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

glack wrote: »
    But having DEIS status has meant an increase in Special Education Teachers. If the new SNA model (as yet only not published) follows a similar model as is expected, it's not crazy to predict the possibility of a slightly higher allocation in DEIS schools next year.

When it came out in 2017, many DEIS schools benefited greatly from increased SET hours. The intention with this was to rebalance the inequality where children whose parents were in a position to pay for a private assessment they had greater opportunities to benefit from resource hours. Also, research shows a higher incidence of special needs in areas of disadvantage.

Sadly, it has meant that no matter what new needs come to light in a school, no extra hours have been added,so DEIS schools have been re-disadvantaged - if I can use that term, I wouldn't hold too much hope for "extra" SNAS, numbers of full time posts have actually fallen but DES spin mentions "extra SNAs, which are in fact fragment of posts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yeah I would hope so to be honest that the teacher would watch for that.
    She's so kind natured which is lovely but she wouldn't be assertive.
    My other daughter gets sent on jobs too. Someone had an accident she went. But I'd say they get other kids to do jobs too we just wouldn't hear about those ones. Maybe the teachers aren't allowed assist kids to the bathroom?

A reliable child with good common sense probably gets a few more “ jobs” than others , but in terms of jobs , I mean collecting photocopying from the office , taking a note to another teacher etc. But shouldn’t be doing the work of an SNA .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A reliable child with good common sense probably gets a few more “ jobs” than others , but in terms of jobs , I mean collecting photocopying from the office , taking a note to another teacher etc. But shouldn’t be doing the work of an SNA .

Totally agree if I was that child's parent I wouldn't be happy at that kind of situation ,as an sna I'd be embarrassed that a child is doing part of my job ,
    I've seen older kids maybe holding the hand of a child with extra needs in a line or sitting beside each other but not doing anything that would be hands on stuff an SNA should be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Aveen

So I just received diagnosis of ASD, this week. My shock was he required a asd unit, mainly because of language delay, no learning difficult.

I tried all schools in area for place in unit but no luck. SENO PUT it back to us parent to find a place. We have place in mainstream but because nothing about mainstream was mention he not get SNA support. It be 6 th is December so he has to go to school

What do I do?

Aveen wrote: »
    So I just received diagnosis of ASD, this week. My shock was he required a asd unit, mainly because of language delay, no learning difficult.

I tried all schools in area for place in unit but no luck. SENO PUT it back to us parent to find a place. We have place in mainstream but because nothing about mainstream was mention he not get SNA support. It be 6 th is December so he has to go to school

What do I do?

It's really difficult to process it all and deal with all the paper work side of it which needs to be done ASAP.
    So your child is 5?
    My child got on his report that it was recommended that he attend a unit in a mainstream.
    Early intervention also recommended and Slt and OT and the HSE have nothing to offer us. My child is 3.5
    We paid for a multidisciplinary team to asses him as the HSE waiting list for the AON was too long.
    Can you get your son into a mainstream with a unit attached until a space becomes available.
    Maybe he will be ok in mainstream did he manage ok in playschool?

I'm sorry I cannot offer any school advice as my child is waiting on an early intervention playschool. We haven't got to that stage yet even tho I have put applications in for primary hoping he will get a space in sept 2022!

The seno cannot offwe much from my own experience only fill in paper work for the home tuition which we are availing of at the moment until a space becomes available.
    There aren't enough schools to accommodate the children with special needs and that's the main problem here!
    I hope you find a solution.
    Did they offer any Slt that might assist the child to work on before sept 2020.

Aveen wrote: »

What do I do?

You need to get back on to the SENO, has he been accepted in anywhere yet locally? If he gets accepted locally then its up to the SENO and the school to supply the SNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

You need to get back on to the SENO, has he been accepted in anywhere yet locally? If he gets accepted locally then its up to the SENO and the school to supply the SNA.

Supply "access" to the SNA. So important to remember this. This could mean anything from hours of support to minutes depending on severity of your child's needs and needs of others in mainstream.

Very wrong that you should have to do all this running around and be left with such uncertainty. If child had to have tonsils removed would GP say "ok he needs tonsillectomy now away you go and find a hospital willing to take him",

heldel00 wrote: »
    Supply "access" to the SNA. So important to remember this. This could mean anything from hours of support to minutes depending on severity of your child's needs and needs of others in mainstream.

Very wrong that you should have to do all this running around and be left with such uncertainty. If child had to have tonsils removed would GP say "ok he needs tonsillectomy now away you go and find a hospital willing to take him",

Yes but that's how it works and legally once they have been discharged to the school it's up to the school and seno to make sure the educationplan in place works.

If it doesn't and the child's needs aren't been met well it will leave them in a situation where it could be exposed legally very easily.

I am not trying to be contrary but you have to play the game their way and use the law to your advantage.

Advertisement