Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetships 2020

• 09-05-2020 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I figured I would make a thread for the current round of cadetships. I just applied for the Army and Naval Operations cadetships.

For a bit of background, I'm 26 years old and currently living abroad with an eye to moving back home in the not too distant future. The military is something that's always interested me but I was sidetracked after college and never got around to really pursuing it. I just about make the cut-off date for the age requirements so I have one shot to try and get in (I hope).

The application was more straightforward than I thought, in fact it was just some typical information about myself (name, age, address, etc.) and some qualifying questions. I was expecting to have to submit a CV and letter of interest or something. I'm guessing that comes at a later date?

Is there anybody else out there applying in 2020?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mcc_c

There seems to be a thread for every year so why not! I have applied for the Air Corps myself and might consider the Army and Navy but to be honest I'm dead set on the Air Corps.

I was surprised at the initial application as well, I actually went back twice to make sure a CV wasn't needed, my own assumption is that they give every applicant a chance at the psychometric to be as fair as possible? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would make sense.

At of curiosity where are you based? Sounds like you're living abroad! Goodluck with your application man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

mcc_c wrote: »
    There seems to be a thread for every year so why not! I have applied for the Air Corps myself and might consider the Army and Navy but to be honest I'm dead set on the Air Corps.

I was surprised at the initial application as well, I actually went back twice to make sure a CV wasn't needed, my own assumption is that they give every applicant a chance at the psychometric to be as fair as possible? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would make sense.

At of curiosity where are you based? Sounds like you're living abroad! Goodluck with your application man!

I did the same thing! Especially after reading the word CV on my first application. I can confirm though I didn't see any location for uploading a document. I'm guessing they will take a look through your LinkedIn profile to supplement your application so it would be worth having that up to date.

I'm base in Vancouver Canada so ideally I'd like to wait until further along in the process before coming home, that's assuming I make it far at all.

Same to you, best of luck with yours. I've heard the Air Force cadetship is the hardest in terms of selection and attrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Borderland

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Hey,

I figured I would make a thread for the current round of cadetships. I just applied for the Army and Naval Operations cadetships.

For a bit of background, I'm 26 years old and currently living abroad with an eye to moving back home in the not too distant future. The military is something that's always interested me but I was sidetracked after college and never got around to really pursuing it. I just about make the cut-off date for the age requirements so I have one shot to try and get in (I hope).

The application was more straightforward than I thought, in fact it was just some typical information about myself (name, age, address, etc.) and some qualifying questions. I was expecting to have to submit a CV and letter of interest or something. I'm guessing that comes at a later date?

So this will be the third time I’ve applied so I suppose I can offer some insight on how they’ve run the competition in previous years. All dependant on what will be the new normal in a post Covid-19 world.

Step 1: Application form
    Step 2: Online psychometric test
    Step 3: Fitness test/Group assessment/Supervised resit of psychometric test in Curragh.
    Step 4: Questionnaire/Interview
    Step 5: Medical

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Hey,

It goes in phases so they will get around to your more personal information at the latter stages. You will have the various online tests to do (not that challenging) fitness, group assessments initial medicals, interviews and full medicals thats at least how i remember it.

On a side note if you are interested in the military as a career then there is always the BA. Sandhurst has a higher age limit and those going in tend to be a bit older, most post graduates many of those having worked/trained in industry, professions or else where before so your age wouldn't really be an issue, just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 josh1010st

Hi lads, I have applied for the Army only but debating applying for navy operations too.
    I was just wondering about the medical stage, it says in the descriptions that there is a flexibility test? Just wondering what it’s like and should I take up yoga to prepare for it? 😂 Thanks lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 RCB1A

Hi lads, I'm new to this format of posting. I've applied for the Air Corps as well as the Army cadetships. I'm a bit worried because my left leg hurts so I'm taking a break from running this week, it'll probably be fine.

Good Luck to everyone!

Hi again lads, UL sent me on this link to practice the psychomectric tests. You have to use your college email when signing up to get full access to all the tests but might be handy to practice.
    https://www.teamfocus.co.uk/psychometric-testing/

Best of luck to everyone!

RCB1A wrote: »
    Hi lads, I'm new to this format of posting. I've applied for the Air Corps as well as the Army cadetships. I'm a bit worried because my left leg hurts so I'm taking a break from running this week, it'll probably be fine.

Good Luck to everyone!

Be careful you’re not overtraining. It’s going to take a couple of weeks for them to get everything processed. There is another 2 weeks left on the applications.

The fitness test is very straight forward. They will stop you after 20 push ups, and 20 sits ups. The run is an individual best effort with the time limit of 11mins 40 seconds for men and 13mins 10 seconds for women. All are graded pass/fail.

Borderland wrote: »
    Be careful you’re not overtraining. It’s going to take a couple of weeks for them to get everything processed. There is another 2 weeks left on the applications.

The fitness test is very straight forward. They will stop you after 20 push ups, and 20 sits ups. The run is an individual best effort with the time limit of 11mins 40 seconds for men and 13mins 10 seconds for women. All are graded pass/fail.

I know, I just really wanted to cut my time down to 9 minutes before the actual test day :D

I read about the flexibility part too, I applied for the RDF and had my fitness/interview in January. Was worried about that and the run myself considering it was straight after Christmas (food et. al) so prepared with standard stretches and a few runs.

The fitness isn't actually that bad, @Borderline has the order right, before the run they brought us through a warm up which required a small bit of running so bear that in mine too. If you haven't, I would seriously suggest looking at their videos explaining how they want the push ups/sit ups done, for example if you lift your hands off your knees at any stage off the sit up it's an immediate disqualification so it's best to familiarise yourself with that.

@josh1010st, they didn't go through flexibility on the day, they did do stretches but no sort of test or anything. This might be different for the cadetships I'm unsure. Might actually look at a bit of yoga myself. Also thanks a mil for sharing that link, any practice is good practice. Good luck with your application!

• Advertisement

@ mcc_c. Fair play man! Yeah I’ve watched all the videos they have put up and I’ve spoken to a few serving members, at least the fitness test is fairly straightforward.

No hassle with the link lad, no harm in us all helping each other out!

The 2020 terms and conditions doesn’t mention the flexibility tests but all the other Years do so maybe they don’t do it anymore? Anyway bit of light yoga and we shouldn’t have to worry about it!

Would highly recommend people check out the Defence Forces Podcast. Available on all social media channels.

They’ve previewed an Aer Corp Cadetship today and they’ll be doing the Army Line and Naval Cadetships in the coming weeks.

Interesting insight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Whelan 95

Sorry for going a bit off topic here but what way do they conduct the running part of the test? is it like around a track or pitch or sports hall? Id imagine it would vary from where the test takes place itself, just curious.

Thanks.

If anyone hasn't seen it already, there's also a video on Youtube "Now We're Talking Podcast - Episode 3 with Oisin McGrath (Irish Air Corps -Officer Commanding 302 S)"

I can't link stuff yet so youse will have to do with copying/pasting the title :)

Whelan 95 wrote: »
    Sorry for going a bit off topic here but what way do they conduct the running part of the test? is it like around a track or pitch or sports hall? Id imagine it would vary from where the test takes place itself, just curious.

Thanks.

I'd reckon it just depends on the base. When I did my work experience in Kilkenny they just got us to run the distance around the base (hard tarmac).

@Borderland probably knows a bit better though

Whelan 95 wrote: »

Thanks.

So the Aer Corp do their own fitness testing in Baldonnel and I don’t know anything about that. All the cadet/naval fitness testing took place in the Curragh.

I’m also not sure how they’re going to do things with social distancing etc, but the way it was done previously was that they’d do the BMI/Height first and then a warm up.

For the actual test (in the main gym hall); push ups first, if anyone fails you’re out. Then sit ups - if you fail you’re out.

Everyone who passes those two gets put on a bus. Drive about 3/4 minutes to the start line. The route is on a normal road which they close off for the test. It goes down a slight hill. Run down, turn, run back. You call your number (which they will give you on the day) as you finish.

@Borderland Thanks for the info man! Prob a stupid question but can you have earphones in for the run?

josh1010st wrote: »
    @Borderland Thanks for the info man! Prob a stupid question but can you have earphones in for the run?

I don’t remember anyone having them to be honest, you’d look like a bit of a plonker. I don’t think you’ll have an issue with motivation on the day 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stall

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the BMI testing is? What score it’s to be under for example?

Or how serious they take this score if you’ve passed the other elements?

Thanks in advance!

Lads did I skip over the section where it says a third language is required for the Cadetship or did they not include that this year?

Also @stall the BMI is between 20 and 25 on the website but judging by the writing they seem lenient if you're above/under ? I'm not sure what's the story with the skin fold calipers though. On the website it says if you're under 20 they use it and to not have a measurement above 70mm.

• Advertisement

Lads did I skip over the section where it says a third language is required for the Cadetship or did they not include that this year?

Also @stall the BMI is between 20 and 25 on the website but judging by the writing they seem lenient if you're above/under ? I'm not sure what's the story with the skin fold calipers though

Just had another read through the terms and conditions for this year and a third language is needed for school leavers due to it being required for NUI entrance. It said nothing under the graduate section about needing a third language so the degree must suffice there.

There's another podcast up available through the DF social media on the Army Cadetship. Interesting insight into the day-to-day of the cadetship which if I'm not wrong is applicable to all three of the branches, particularly Army and Air Corps.

Sounds like a tough course but to be honest, sounds so exciting/interesting/demanding and rewarding. Whole heartedly want this cadetship! Out of curiosity are many of you coming from totally different backgrounds to the cadetship you are applying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Borderland wrote: »
    I don’t remember anyone having them to be honest, you’d look like a bit of a plonker. I don’t think you’ll have an issue with motivation on the day ��

When training I use wireless earphones to let me know time and pace as I'm progressing. Maybe he wants to know for this reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

When training I use wireless earphones to let me know time and pace as I'm progressing. Maybe he wants to know for this reason?

You're running in a group. Wear a watch and don't be at the back of the group and you'll be grand. And it's a best effort, so know in advance how hard you can run for 1.5 miles.

mcc_c wrote: »
    There's another podcast up available through the DF social media on the Army Cadetship. Interesting insight into the day-to-day of the cadetship which if I'm not wrong is applicable to all three of the branches, particularly Army and Air Corps.

Sounds like a tough course but to be honest, sounds so exciting/interesting/demanding and rewarding. Whole heartedly want this cadetship! Out of curiosity are many of you coming from totally different backgrounds to the cadetship you are applying for?

I agree! It's pretty exciting. I don't really have any background in military stuff at all tbh. One of my grandfathers was a policeman and that's as close as it gets. Other than that it's just a really big interest in working as an officer in the Air Corps/Army. What about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tsandcs

Story lads, also applied for the army line cadetship.

I also thought that the application was very small, I expected to submit my CV and proof of my degree but they must look for that further along.

I'm assuming we're gonna hear more after the 31st, best of luck lads.

I agree! It's pretty exciting. I don't really have any background in military stuff at all tbh. One of my grandfathers was a policeman and that's as close as it gets. Other than that it's just a really big interest in working as an officer in the Air Corps/Army. What about you?

No background at all, applying for the Air Corps and I'm hoping that not having a technical background won't set me back... A bit concerned because of that but I suppose I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it

Tsandcs wrote: »
    Story lads, also applied for the army line cadetship.

I also thought that the application was very small, I expected to submit my CV and proof of my degree but they must look for that further along.

I'm assuming we're gonna hear more after the 31st, best of luck lads.

I'd say it's a case of them not ruling anyone out, it was a bit weird submitting with no CV didn't feel right haha

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭P0dr1ck

Is everyone here applying for the first time?

• Advertisement

P0dr1ck wrote: »
    Is everyone here applying for the first time?

Yeah first time applying for me anyway, I was waiting until I finished my degree to apply, you?

Advertisement