Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Thread

• 19-11-2008 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I'm sick of these Tralee folks with all their posturing, and thinking they are popular because they have a big thread.

Come on now folks, give Killarney some love! Killarney folks, identify yourselves!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

This is depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

oeb wrote: »
    This is depressing :(

Aw, me being a Tralee girl myself I have to say that I like Killarney. Usually I go there every other Sundays with the hubby and kids. We always go to Ross Castle to feed the ducks, and to the playground near the big church.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

is there actually anyone else besides oeb from killarney on here?
    Have to say i much rather Killarney than Tralee. A lot more fun on a night out.
    Places like Mucross are so nice during the summer.
    The Americans in the summer can get overwhelming though.

Have to say i much rather Killarney than Tralee. A lot more fun on a night out.
    Places like Mucross are so nice during the summer.
    The Americans in the summer can get overwhelming though.

Tis very depressing =)

The Americans are grand, as long as you are not in the tourist places. The ones you get out at night are grand out.

I practically grew up in killarney and i swear i dreaded every summer. No matter where i went there was Americans pestering you about the "old" times. God do they actually think that we still had donkeys as the main line of transport and that we all say "top O the morning to ya" .urgh
    rant over.:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Bridewell Road

I wonder if somebody in Killarney could help me .I'm looking for any member of the Lacey family that may still be living in the town.I'd be very grateful for any information as I'm doing a family tree.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I wonder if somebody in Killarney could help me .I'm looking for any member of the Lacey family that may still be living in the town.I'd be very grateful for any information as I'm doing a family tree.:)

I'd say your best bet would be to get yourself a hold of a 06 phonebook. I'm just after looking at mine here and their are a few 'Lacey' listed ... Your best bet otherwise would be to narrow it down somewhat - first name, rough age-bracket etc. You would have a better chance of getting some valuable info then i would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

\o

Thank you Kerry4Sam,must get hold of an '06 sometime soon.thanks again.:)

I can ask around for you, I don't know any off hand though. Do you know the first names, possible area that they lived (ie killarney town, killcummin, etc) and rough age and/or careers?

• Advertisement

Thank you for your reply oeb.I fear that the Lacey or Lacy name is no longer in Killarney.Maybe there are some far out relatives now married with other names.I only have a 2006 directory at the moment until I get to Kerry and there are no Killarney Laceys .I am going back to grandfather and great grandfather times.They lived in a lane off one of the main streets .The head of the family was Timothy (I think)and he was a shoemaker.Other family names would be Edward,Henry(Harry) Matthew,Redmond,Esther and Catherine.As I go further into research I may have more to go on.So thanks again oeb.:)

Thank you for your reply oeb.I fear that the Lacey or Lacy name is no longer in Killarney.Maybe there are some far out relatives now married with other names.I only have a 2006 directory at the moment until I get to Kerry and there are no Killarney Laceys .I am going back to grandfather and great grandfather times.They lived in a lane off one of the main streets .The head of the family was Timothy (I think)and he was a shoemaker.Other family names would be Edward,Henry(Harry) Matthew,Redmond,Esther and Catherine.As I go further into research I may have more to go on.So thanks again oeb.:)

My grandmother has lived in Killarney all her life and she is 85, I should be seeing her at some stage this week. If I do I will ask her does she recall any Laceys who were shoemakers in the town.

Thanks for that oeb.:)

ok ive just started working in killarney and im looking for a nice place with parking where i can have lunch. im already sick of Mcdonalds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

ok ive just started working in killarney and im looking for a nice place with parking where i can have lunch. im already sick of Mcdonalds :D

IMO the Killarney Heights is good for carvery, just passed Supervalu and not that far from McD's.

Hey man, where are you working?

There are a few decent places to eat. Alot of the pubs in town are good for lunch, The Granary or The Larrals (however you spell it) especially. And there is plenty of parking in town, it will only set you back a quid or so to leave your car in town over lunch.

Ah now i cant be telling people things like that. Id have to at least randomly talked to you sometime in life about metalism books:pac:
    Came in the post last week by the way,hahaha
    Anyway yeh im in Plan it Pc in deerpark.**** completly forgot about the granary. I love that place. bangers and mash :D
    its just a small bit out of the way for only an hour lunch. Might try the killarney heights tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Good luck with the new thread. About time Killarney got one going! Of course its like most things (Tralee has it first ;) )
    I boarded in St Brendans myself so thats my link.
    That poor Brideswell Rd got the '06 directory' thing a bit mixed up:D
    Maybe Brideswell should get a '64' directory or maybe an '08' one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

God do they actually think that we still had donkeys as the main line of transport and that we all say "top O the morning to ya" .urgh
    rant over.:P

creamerytd0.th.jpg

As soon as I get back from the creamery, it's off to the bog for a load of turf. c008.gif

Best wishes from the Ballybunion crowd that the trio of stickey threads becomes a quartet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

creamerytd0.jpg
    Where was this taken snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

I wouldn't swear to it but I think that's Listowel.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

What about an killarney boards drink up or is that totally mad?

johnnyc wrote: »
    What about an killarney boards drink up or is that totally mad?

I think there is only a few of us, but sure I'm game. I will be heading out Saturday if anyone want's to join me for a few early ones?

ah blast only a few god it would be nice if there was 30 or 40 jesus we might get drink discounts or something

ah blast only a few god it would be nice if there was 30 or 40 jesus we might get drink discounts or something

Drink discount? Are you sure you know you are posting in a thread about Killarney?

yes i know its only killarney, but was hoping for a few more members.

yes i know its only killarney, but was hoping for a few more members.

Judging by this thread there is only 3 or 4 of us =)

Offer still stands for Sat night for yourself and anyone else who wants to join. I will probably have an hour or two to kill after I get into town but before I meet the lads. I see it as an opportunity to get a head start on them =)

ah thanks oleb will be out for a few drinks on saturday night with the lads so more people the better

a im invited somewhere :)
    really depressed that i have to decline on this occasion though as ive already made plans this time. next time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

creamerytd0.jpg
    Where was this taken snow?

There was a story in Killorglin about a roofer who came down his ladder after replacing a few slates above a shop, to find one of these tied to his ladder. The woman had just popped in to the shop. :eek:

Advertisement