Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bobby Sands - see Mod Note in OP.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

This explains a lot,one of his posts I copied and pasted,

Where does it all stop. I think it's a terrible idea to commemorate. The Kilmichael ambush is on the back and that was a piece of carnage that is still fought over by historians today. Theres Protestants in west Cork with a completely different set of memories and beliefs to the Republican ones. Are we going to commemorate their missing family members from 1920to23

Why would you copy one of my posts. Why go to the bother.? Its creepy. You're a Republican, I'm not. You dont go and try and win over the audience. I guarantee you the majority on here agree with you. Your facts wouldnt be my facts though. I think the armed Republican movement was a disaster and achieved diddly squat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Why would you copy one of my posts. Why go to the bother.? Its creepy. You're a Republican, I'm not. You dont go and try and win over the audience. I guarantee you the majority on here agree with you. Your facts wouldnt be my facts though. I think the armed Republican movement was a disaster and achieved diddly squat

I'm not arguing or looking for likes ,we each are entitled to our own opinion some from reading books , others from experience , cant all be on the same wavelength, and just let's agree to disagree?
    I like boards and enjoy reading different posts each day, don't want to upset anyone as I'm sure you're the same
    Religion and politics always causes a stir, so let's leave it at that, no need to fall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Better suited to AH, these kinds of tiresome threads generate more heat than light.

Better suited to AH, these kinds of tiresome threads generate more heat than light.

If you consider"tiresome" I despair, talking about an Irishman who made the supreme sacrifice for his beliefs,were the 1916 executions, Terrence Mcswiney s death's etc also "tiresome,"?
    It's part of our history and anyone irrespective of their politics who purposely gave their life fire a political goal) belief deserves to be remembered,,,,,,,,,,,not be hidden

Well go to the AH threads then

• Advertisement

Hard to generate light on a sombre, serious part of our history,I suggest,but yes it brings passion to the surface as it's complex,but personally I felt Bobby Sands needed to be remembered,not conveniently forgotten about , guy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Hard to generate light on a sombre, serious part of our history,I suggest,but yes it brings passion to the surface as it's complex,but personally I felt Bobby Sands needed to be remembered,not conveniently forgotten about , guy
    No problem with remembering him the same way we will remember Billy Wright Dominic McGlinchey and all the other gangsters

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Edgware wrote: »
    No problem with remembering him the same way we will remember Billy Wright Dominic McGlinchey and all the other gangsters

That is throwing your lot in with Maggie's failed 1970s policies. A lot of people moved on including Thatcher herself

That is throwing your lot in with Maggie's failed 1970s policies. A lot of people moved on including Thatcher herself

Dont worry we will remember Maggies pals in the Paras, Black Watch etc also. There was scum on both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Billy Wright! W da F would we remember him?

• Advertisement

antgal23 wrote: »
    Billy Wright! W da F would we remember him?
    Remember not commemorate. Same applies to Sands and co

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Remember not commemorate. Same applies to Sands and co

Personal choice

I remember what Wright did as I lived in the area

I'll commemorate Bobby Sands for what he believed in

Personal choice

Off with you but any dirtbird who plants bombs has done nothing worth commemorating

Personal choice

As I always will, and not forgetting Martin Hurson and Patsy O'Hara's anniversaries soon

Off with you but any dirtbird who plants bombs has done nothing worth commemorating

Freedom of every republic worldwide wasn't won by keyboard warriors, who conveniently forget the reason they can comment publicly on any subject they care to,
    Is that people did the dirty work for them first day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

What about those who can be easily identified and thus are reluctant to post in a thread such as this. Anyway, as I'm sick of saying this thread is more suited for AH and if it stays open much longer I for one will be leaving the History & Heritage forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

were the IRA not a pain in the hole to people of the north once they became organised? pushin their weight around in their own communities etc?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Mod Note:
    As this thread seems to be drifting beyond the History's charter and more into AH/Current affairs the thread will be closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement